Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-30-2017, 02:23 PM   #1
TxTyler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tyler, Williamson, and Crockett County
Default Alaskan Moose Hunt

I was lucky enough to get the invite to join my Brother in Law, his dad, and their friend on a 2 week Alaskan Moose Hunt. This will be a DIY hunt, but with the odds of great success. They’ve been going every other year for the past 10 years and have rarely come home eating tag soup.

We will be flying in to Anchorage, Alaska on September 10th. Upon arrival, we will pick up our rental truck (we opted for a truck with a camper shell to store all of our gear and belongings for the drive out to Tok). After picking up the truck, we will head to our Air bnb house to drop off all our gear that is being flown in a week prior through Alaskan Air. We then will pick up the Teepee’s, stve, and other gear from a friend’s house in Anchorage. Most of the camp gear is left at a friend’s house year round in exchange for some meat. This definitely helps with shipping costs and knowing we have most of the gear needed already in Alaska is a huge bonus.

We plan on using the garage of the house we are renting for a couple nights in Anchorage to lay out all gear and re-pack. The goal is to get things separated out so that gear will fit in the super cub planes. We will pick up our hunting licenses at Cabela’s in Anchorage as well.

We take off early Wednesday morning (September 13th) and make the 7 hour drive up and over to Tok. Gear will then get checked in at 40-Mile Air. We have one night in Tok, then the adventure begins. Each of us will be in a Super Cub and make the hour long plane ride out to our “top secret” hunting grounds. I cannot disclose our location as I have been promised I’d be “bear bait”.

The goal is to get the job done with a bow, but will have a couple rifles in case we can’t get within bow range.

I’ve been hiking with my pack the past 4 months. 3 miles a day with anywhere from 30-50 pounds of weight in my pack. I think I’m ready, but we shall see soon enough.

We will have an inReach in which I can report back each day as to how the hunting is going, but won’t have much ability to make phone calls. My goal is to send a quick update to PRPechek or rsquared each day (in the evenings) to update the thread. We will have a sat phone, but will be limited to short calls here and there and for emergencies (or when we need a moose flown out of the forest).

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. I'll answer the best that I can.
TxTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
TxTyler
Eight Point

It will be 14 days of hunting.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:27 PM   #3
str8shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Franklin Co. - Fish in Alaska

The Tok area is a target rich environment. I've hunted with a native guy up there on the Tanana river. Good luck!!
str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 02:31 PM   #4
Felix40
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

Greatness
Felix40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

This is on my bucket list although I definitely want to take a good bull with my bow. Some of the hunting videos I've seen are incredible and I can only imagine having a huge bull moose up close and personal. Best of luck to y'all and please do a follow up hunt recap when you return to civilization. Man I'm jealous.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #6
ROBINHOOD11
Eight Point

Hunt In: Collin Co, Denton Co, Grayson Co

In for the hunt, good luck!
ROBINHOOD11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 02:41 PM   #7
str8shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Franklin Co. - Fish in Alaska

So you have a night in the Tok metropolis. I assume you'll be staying at Young's Motel. And before you leave to the bush, make sure you grab a pizza at Fast Eddie's. I had a couple of clients in Tok, and every time I went up there (couple times a year) I had orders to bring back uncooked pizzas for folks in our office. I would often come back to Anchorage with 15-20 pizzas in the back seat of my car. But that was before Moose's Tooth opened.

For the best Pizza on the planet, go to Moose's Tooth in Anchorage. Great Pizza and Great Beer! You can thank me later.
str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 03:20 PM   #8
TxTyler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterback View Post
This is on my bucket list although I definitely want to take a good bull with my bow. Some of the hunting videos I've seen are incredible and I can only imagine having a huge bull moose up close and personal. Best of luck to y'all and please do a follow up hunt recap when you return to civilization. Man I'm jealous.
Thank you. I definitely want to get it done with the bow as well. The feeling of having bull moose within bow range should be intense. I'll be the only one shooting compound (as they would call it, bow with training wheels), so I would think my odds are the best as I have a bit more distance on them with the bow.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:21 PM   #9
TxTyler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
So you have a night in the Tok metropolis. I assume you'll be staying at Young's Motel. And before you leave to the bush, make sure you grab a pizza at Fast Eddie's. I had a couple of clients in Tok, and every time I went up there (couple times a year) I had orders to bring back uncooked pizzas for folks in our office. I would often come back to Anchorage with 15-20 pizzas in the back seat of my car. But that was before Moose's Tooth opened.

For the best Pizza on the planet, go to Moose's Tooth in Anchorage. Great Pizza and Great Beer! You can thank me later.
I've been to Moose's Tooth a couple of times. I love their pizza too! Great beer as well. I'll have to stop by Fast Eddie's. Thank you for the top
Old 08-30-2017, 03:23 PM   #10
TxTyler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBINHOOD11 View Post
In for the hunt, good luck!
I'll try and keep it somewhat lively. LDP's (God willing) will come after we get out of the bush. We have 4 GoPro's and 2 DSLR cameras with decent lenses. The goal is to film as much as we can and get the footage edited so that we end up with some great memories and a great glimpse of the trip/adventure.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #11
zcole04
Ten Point

Hunt In: La Salle, Live Oak Counties

Very Cool! I will be keeping up with this one.
zcole04 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #12
TxTyler
Eight Point

All meals have are complete. My BIL and his father make all of our meals before the trip. Everything gets cooked, prepped, and dehydrated. The first couple of days we will use fresh produce we bring in from Anchorage, but the rest will be the prepped meals. We end up eating like kings.

I'll be in Alaska in less than 5 days. I feel like it won't come soon enough...
Old 09-05-2017, 08:26 PM   #13
MasonCo.
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason

sounds fun
MasonCo. is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #14
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Manitoba Canada

If you want to kill one with a bow commit to it and go for it. I wouldn't blame you for using a rifle though.

Best of luck!
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2017, 09:05 PM   #15
easeup
Ten Point

awesome adventure in the making!
easeup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2017, 09:22 PM   #16
TxTyler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdog View Post
If you want to kill one with a bow commit to it and go for it. I wouldn't blame you for using a rifle though.

Best of luck!
Thank you Kdog. I definitely want to use the bow. Since its my first time Moose huting, I think everyone wants me to be first up. Someone will be in the back with the rifle and calling while the person in front will be ready with the bow. We will be using decoys and paddles to help draw them in. The news from Anchorage is the moose are starting to respond to calling earlier than usual so we should be in a great position to see moose

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2017, 09:27 PM   #17
lanceodom
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen, Webb & Wilson County

Good luck. Hope to get this scheduled for myself and Some buddies for 2019.
lanceodom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2017, 09:30 PM   #18
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Manitoba Canada
Default Alaskan Moose Hunt

They are big animals. When they are rutting they can really come to the calls. But when I shot mine me and the guide stalked in on him walking close together trying to sound like another moose. This agitated the heck out of the bull. He was grunting and raking his antlers before we made any other call. In fact we didn't call at all. My guide raked a tree and he came in on a string, slobbering and grunting the whole way. You are going to have a blast!
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2017, 09:49 PM   #19
Brad75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dos Condados Ranch and Everywhere I can!!

Good luck on your hunt.

I did my DIY Alaska Moose hunt in 2011, this was such an awesome experience. I did my hunt with Forty Mile Air. Absolutely amazing hunt. Link to my hunt below.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=236635
Brad75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2017, 08:07 AM   #20
TexasTK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit County & Beyond

Good luck on your adventure, I leave tomorrow for my Alaska Moose hunt.
Looking forward to putting Harvey and all the madness in and around Houston in my rear view mirror for a few weeks. Thank God for sparing my house and allowing me to go on my hunt.
TexasTK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2017, 08:19 AM   #21
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Best of luck. I got my moose near Cold Foot, AK back in the 90's. You only think they're big until you stand next to one.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #22
TxTyler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdog View Post

They are big animals. When they are rutting they can really come to the calls. But when I shot mine me and the guide stalked in on him walking close together trying to sound like another moose. This agitated the heck out of the bull. He was grunting and raking his antlers before we made any other call. In fact we didn't call at all. My guide raked a tree and he came in on a string, slobbering and grunting the whole way. You are going to have a blast!
Nice bull! I am super excited to say the least. Yeah as I have been told, when they are in rut, anything walking towards them is a piece of arse. Side note, I was told whatever you do, do not get down on all 4's as you will resemble a predator and will more than likely either spook them and they'll go miles or they could charge to protect themselves and their women. Moose never see humans where we will be hunting so if they see you, they are more likely to be curious than see me as a threat. Unless I get down on all 4's.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #23
TxTyler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTK View Post
Good luck on your adventure, I leave tomorrow for my Alaska Moose hunt.
Looking forward to putting Harvey and all the madness in and around Houston in my rear view mirror for a few weeks. Thank God for sparing my house and allowing me to go on my hunt.
Good luck TexasTK. I'm glad to hear your home was spared. Getting away should help clear your head.

Feel free to give updates on this thread if you want. Would be great to hear about your adventure.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #24
TxTyler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
Best of luck. I got my moose near Cold Foot, AK back in the 90's. You only think they're big until you stand next to one.
That's what I keep hearing. I'm told that their backs stand at 8 and a half feet tall out there.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #25
TxTyler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad75 View Post
Good luck on your hunt.

I did my DIY Alaska Moose hunt in 2011, this was such an awesome experience. I did my hunt with Forty Mile Air. Absolutely amazing hunt. Link to my hunt below.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=236635
Awesome write up. Sounds like an amazing trip you had. The pictures are no longer on your thread, but what a trophy! It sounds like your trip is very similar to how mine will be (God willing I drop a nice bull like yourself).
Old 09-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #26
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

All I can say is they are one big animal. You will have 10-15 minutes of picture taking and back slapping. Then you walk up to it with your knife and say what the h*ll am I going to do with this Simmental bull!

But you will never forget the adventure of being in true wilderness. No roads, no fences, no people, no manmade structures. Just vastness as far as you can see.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2017, 10:46 AM   #27
TxTyler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
All I can say is they are one big animal. You will have 10-15 minutes of picture taking and back slapping. Then you walk up to it with your knife and say what the h*ll am I going to do with this Simmental bull!

But you will never forget the adventure of being in true wilderness. No roads, no fences, no people, no manmade structures. Just vastness as far as you can see.
I've seen Shirus Moose in Colorado at a close distance, but I get the feeling this will completely blow that experience out of the water. I'm looking forward to the solitude. The closet trapper cabin/potential human is 21 miles from where I'll be. It's a great feeling.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:48 PM   #28
Hughiam
Ten Point

Our hunt is during the same time period 9/14-9/28 but were going out of Aniak. Tok should be colder at that time so be prepared. We also pack a roll up sled to drag out the quarters as opposed to on our backs. Good luck!
Hughiam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2017, 08:12 PM   #29
TxTyler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughiam View Post
Our hunt is during the same time period 9/14-9/28 but were going out of Aniak. Tok should be colder at that time so be prepared. We also pack a roll up sled to drag out the quarters as opposed to on our backs. Good luck!
I like the sled idea. We are taking a pack raft. If we get a moose upriver it should help. It's going to be cold

Old 09-06-2017, 09:06 PM   #30
Brad75
Ten Point

Yeah, that was a while ago. Here are a few pics. Good luck to ya and hope you enjoy your hunt as much as I did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2017, 09:07 PM   #31
Black_foot_
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post

MOOSE'S TOOTH is the best pizza on the planet!!!!!
Black_foot_ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #32
Drop Tine
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere and anything legal

That's a dream hunt. Good luck to ya'll!
Drop Tine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #33
Brad75
Ten Point

And you have to eat at Fast Eddy's. It will be fantastic before you head out and the most amazing thing after you come back in to civilization.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #34
TxTyler
Eight Point

Quote:
Yeah, that was a while ago. Here are a few pics. Good luck to ya and hope you enjoy your hunt as much as I did.

That's a great looking bull!
Old 09-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #35
TxTyler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop Tine View Post
That's a dream hunt. Good luck to ya'll!
Thank you Drop Tine. September 14th can't get here fast enough.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #36
TxTyler
Eight Point

Quote:
And you have to eat at Fast Eddy's. It will be fantastic before you head out and the most amazing thing after you come back in to civilization.
I've heard a number of votes for Fast Eddie's. The plan is to go there next Wednesday. Did you have any cell service/coverage out in Tok?
Old 09-07-2017, 11:04 AM   #37
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX.. El Dorado, Scheicher Co., TX.

Good luck. This thread is probably as close as I will ever get to going
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 11:08 AM   #38
Brad75
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTyler View Post
I've heard a number of votes for Fast Eddie's. The plan is to go there next Wednesday. Did you have any cell service/coverage out in Tok?
I Tok proper yes. You lose it shortly leaving if I remember buddy.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #39
TxTyler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Good luck. This thread is probably as close as I will ever get to going
Thank you. Budget wise it's more affordable than most would think. With this being DIY, it makes it a lot less painful on the wallet. Now if it's more about talking the wife in to letting you go, that's a whole other ballgame.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #40
Hughiam
Ten Point

Quote:
I Tok proper yes. You lose it shortly leaving if I remember buddy.

Hes right, you will lose it about 20 miles out. Conversely if you are driving up from Anchorage, you will have it at least through Glenallen albeit intermittently. North of Glenallen it will drop off.

Tok is a big hub as is Glenallen. Lots of traffic passing through, gas, food and hotels. Fast Eddies is a staple.

We are using an inreach for our com with home while were are up there as opposed to a SAT phone.

Good luck

Hugh
Old 09-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #41
TxTyler
Eight Point

Quote:
Hes right, you will lose it about 20 miles out. Conversely if you are driving up from Anchorage, you will have it at least through Glenallen albeit intermittently. North of Glenallen it will drop off.

Tok is a big hub as is Glenallen. Lots of traffic passing through, gas, food and hotels. Fast Eddies is a staple.

We are using an inreach for our com with home while were are up there as opposed to a SAT phone.

Good luck

Hugh
That makes sense. I should be able to update the thread before flying out then. We have a SAT phone and inReach as our forms of communication.

I'm hearing the we might be looking at a fair amount of.anow towards the end of the trip. Would be interesting clearing out snow for the cubs to land to take us out.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:47 AM   #42
TxTyler
Eight Point

Quote:

Good luck

Hugh
Good luck to you as well Hugh. Hope you shoot a 70" plus bull.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:49 PM   #43
Hughiam
Ten Point

Thanks! Two of us going, my brother and I. Third trip for moose in three years with nothing on the ground yet. He's hunting traditional and Im using a compound. Were on the fence about a back up gun. He's carrying a glock 20 I sold him and Im going unarmed unless we bring a shot gun. In talking with the biologist, they did say that the bear population was up so were considering one .375 H&H.

I wonder if you can update this page with an inreach?
Old 09-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #44
Hughiam
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_foot_ View Post
MOOSE'S TOOTH is the best pizza on the planet!!!!!
Too funny, to me, Big Lous in San Antonio is better than the Mooses Tooth.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:19 PM   #45
TxTyler
Eight Point

Quote:
Thanks! Two of us going, my brother and I. Third trip for moose in three years with nothing on the ground yet. He's hunting traditional and Im using a compound. Were on the fence about a back up gun. He's carrying a glock 20 I sold him and Im going unarmed unless we bring a shot gun. In talking with the biologist, they did say that the bear population was up so were considering one .375 H&H.

I wonder if you can update this page with an inreach?
That would be awesome if you could update through inReach. As far as taking a rifle, if it was my third trip in 3 years and I hadn't dropped a moose yet, I'd be bringing the gun It takes a lot for someone to stick with the plan and do bow only though. Nothing, but respect from me.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:03 PM   #46
ChickenWilly
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas and anywhere else I can!

Good luck brother, look forward to the updates and pics!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
ChickenWilly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #47
TxTyler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenWilly View Post
Good luck brother, look forward to the updates and pics!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Thanks Adam, I appreciate it!
Old 09-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #48
Eric24
Nubbin' Buck

Good luck man I'm jealous. But also anxious to see the pics.
Eric24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #49
BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Have bow will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTyler View Post
Thank you. Budget wise it's more affordable than most would think. With this being DIY, it makes it a lot less painful on the wallet. Now if it's more about talking the wife in to letting you go, that's a whole other ballgame.
What kind of $$$ are we talking bout to DIY moose hunt, just curious.
BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #50
TxTyler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric24 View Post
Good luck man I'm jealous. But also anxious to see the pics.
Thanks Eric. I'll do my best to provide great photos and video