Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-22-2017, 08:30 AM   #401
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

As soon as I got out of the pickup this morning, I heard an axis bellow pretty close to me. I snuck towards it and found him and a bunch of does. Looked to be about a 34 incher. Big brows and caudles. I had a shot a couple times, but he's not the giant I saw in May. I about had myself talked into shooting him anyway, but I needed to move to get a clear shot at him then. They were grazing away from me a little. When I moved a couple feet sideways a doe saw me. I don't know where she came from. She wasn't there a few seconds beore. Before the buck stepped back out, she finally started troting off, and the rest followed her. They didn't go far though. They went into a thicket about 500 yards away and we're just standing and walking by then. I may see them again soon....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2017, 10:51 AM   #402
Shane
Pope & Young

They kept grazing south. I heard them ahead of me a few times, and I saw the last doe in the group once. But there was a big sunny clearing between me and the deer. By the time I circled around to stay hidden, they were gone. I guess I wasn't supposed to shoot that buck.

He was a nice one, but seeing a 38 messes with your head. Every time I see a 33-34" buck, I think if I shoot him then I'll see the 38. When I pass a 34, I think, "what if I don't see the 38 again?".

This is a 34 that my buddy killed last month. The one I saw this morning was about like him, only his caudles and brows were all 12-13"" long. He might have been an inch or so narrower than my buddy's buck. He would have scored more though. I'm probably crazy for not shooting him the first chance I had. But what if I see that giant one?
Old 07-22-2017, 11:32 AM   #403
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Shane, 34" with 12"-13" casuals is a giant!! Yes you are crazy
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2017, 01:11 PM   #404
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
Shane, 34" with 12"-13" casuals is a giant!! Yes you are crazy
I know. But 38.....

Old 07-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #405
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Wow......your buddy's buck is a stud, I couldn't imagine the fortitude to pass on one slightly better

On our lease, we're allowed one exotic buck and one doe per year. I keep telling myself I'm going to let my wife shoot the axis buck......but if a 34"er walks out within bow range, I might be telling her sorry babe.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #406
Wiley64
Four Point

Hunt In: Fredericksburg TX

Hunted this area for a very long time. Great memories and it is truly a wild place. Hunted off Juno highway. Regret not getting in the mountains and spot and stalking more. Killed a very nice deer that way.
Wiley64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #407
Shane
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Wow......your buddy's buck is a stud, I couldn't imagine the fortitude to pass on one slightly better
I couldn't imagine it either before I saw that monster. I kinda wish I hadn't seen him.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #408
Tradman1971
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sonora (own 200 acres)

30", 32", 34", 36", 38", etc..............???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does it really matter that much??? To each his own I guess. Good Luck to you!!! I shot a beautiful Axis a couple months ago. The hunt was Awesome and such a rush! I never measure it. Never thought about it. When i took it to the taxidermist, they measured it right away! They said, "Nice, its 32"!!!" I said, "oh, thanks. Is that suppose to mean something??" All that I said after that was, "this is gonna look Gorgeous on my wall." No disrespect at all here! I truly mean that!! I just never understood the obsession people have on what an animal scores.
Tradman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2017, 05:51 PM   #409
Shane
Pope & Young

Congrats on a nice buck.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:44 PM   #410
Shane
Pope & Young

If it makes you feel any better, I'm not a score chaser. But have you ever hunted a particular animal rather than shooting whatever walks by first? I've done (and enjoyed) both. I have a beautiful 30" axis on the wall. It was a fun hunt, and the mount looks great and let's me relive the good time I had hunting him. He was the biggest axis among the first group that came in on that hunt. Maybe that's how your hunt went the other day too. Those are always fun.

I get 2 trophy axis on my lease. I'm gonna let my son shoot 1 of them, so that leaves 1 for me. Our lease started the 1st of June. The landowner let us come down and shoot a few does before that. That's when I saw this one big buck among a group of 12-15 others. He had the biggest body by far. He looked like an elk. Several others were easy shooters, but this buck just stood out.

I want to get that buck.

I have lots of meat in the freezer already, and we have several more does we need to kill - plus all our whitetail this fall. My son killed a cull axis last month too. I'll be giving away a lot of meat this year.

But I want that particular buck.

Sometimes I hunt a particular old cull or a smart old snorting doe. This year, I want that 38" (if that's what he is) big old axis. I have a year to get him. I like to hunt a lot. Maybe I'll get him eventually. Maybe another buck will trip my trigger first like the one this morning eventually did. We'll see....

Last edited by Shane; 07-22-2017 at 06:51 PM..
Old 07-22-2017, 07:45 PM   #411
RRagan83
Ten Point

Hunt In: Schleicher, Edwards, Kimble, and McCulloch county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradman1971 View Post
30", 32", 34", 36", 38", etc..............???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does it really matter that much??? To each his own I guess. Good Luck to you!!! I shot a beautiful Axis a couple months ago. The hunt was Awesome and such a rush! I never measure it. Never thought about it. When i took it to the taxidermist, they measured it right away! They said, "Nice, its 32"!!!" I said, "oh, thanks. Is that suppose to mean something??" All that I said after that was, "this is gonna look Gorgeous on my wall." No disrespect at all here! I truly mean that!! I just never understood the obsession people have on what an animal scores.
For me I do look at the score and try to harvest an animal bigger than my last. But age is more important to me. Harvesting a mature animal of any species or sex is a speacial opportunity. Good luck Shane I'm sure we will be seeing some LDPs of you soon with that axis buck your side.
RRagan83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2017, 08:05 PM   #412
Shane
Pope & Young

Seeing lots of whitetail bucks this weekend. Maybe they will still be here in October.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:34 PM   #413
Tradman1971
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sonora (own 200 acres)

Makes sense! I think targeting a specific animal makes its very fun and frustrating as well! Well I hope you get that Axis!!
Tradman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #414
Shane
Pope & Young

Yesterday morning I went in to where I'd seen the big buck the morning before. Just after daylight a group of does soon started filtering in. No buck yet. The does then all alerted and were all looking over in the same direction to my south. They started trotting away and went by me at 30-40 yards. Then the landowner's stepson came jogging up the road about 1/4 mile away, oblivious to the deer (and me). The buck hadn't shown himself yet. Don't know if he was coming or not, but the jogger spooked that whole part of the pasture.

I moved to the other side of the pasture and started seeing several whitetail. Then the goat herd came out of the brush with the guard dog in the lead. Dog saw me and started barking.

With the whole pasture now sufficiently boogered, I circled back to the 4wheeler and went back to camp to pack up and go home. Maybe next time.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #415
GeauxPreaux
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Sonora, TX

Any updates on Sonora rainfall amounts from today. Radar looked pretty good this morning.
GeauxPreaux is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #416
The Cajun
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxPreaux View Post
Any updates on Sonora rainfall amounts from today. Radar looked pretty good this morning.

The "town" of Sonora got hit hard last week as well as this past Monday and Tuesday. Southeast on Bond road got hit with .4-.5" on Monday and then about .2" yesterday. Rain is spotty, but looked like Southwest of town got hit hard and anywhere within a 7 mile radius of Sonora got rain. For all those that are more towards junction on I10 looked like yall got some hard rain Monday.
The Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #417
Shane
Pope & Young

I wouldn't call half an inch being hit hard, but even a little rain like that is welcome. It's pretty dry lately. We are east of Sonora, and landowner said he got 3/8" a couple days ago. 3" would have been nice. His goats are grazing some areas to the dirt. We're going down to hunt this weekend. I wish we could have been there the last few days when it was cooler. Gonna be hot again this weekend. It beats sitting at home though.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:16 PM   #418
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonroa, Comfort

Friend was out at the ranch this week said it rained pretty good.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #419
starn11gy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sonora tx. Sutton County

Looking forward to a great season!
starn11gy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #420
IAFFHunter18
Four Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Sonora

I was down this last weekend and wow!!! I have never seen it look as good this time of the year in Sutton Co. All of our water holes were full also!!! Went 45 min down the road to a buddies lease and it was dry... crazy
IAFFHunter18 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 09:43 PM   #421
Grant2
Ten Point

Still have a couple more weeks to grow, but they are looking pretty good. Still have a lot of pictures to look at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2017, 09:47 PM   #422
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith and Sutton County

I still have these stinking things.
BowSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 09:49 PM   #423
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowSlayer View Post

And a lot of them! Need to start putting the hurt on some of those.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:51 PM   #424
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
And a lot of them! Need to start putting the hurt on some of those.

46 of them killed since last year this time. I plan to exterminate the rest soon.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:54 PM   #425
daniel044
Eight Point

Quote:
46 of them killed since last year this time. I plan to exterminate the rest soon.
I'll come take out one of those big boys if you need help.

I'm just down the road from you. On the east side of the caverns and haven't seen any auodads yet
daniel044 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 09:56 PM   #426
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel044 View Post
I'll come take out one of those big boys if you need help.

I'm just down the road from you. On the east side of the caverns and haven't seen any auodads yet

If the LO would allow it I'd let you. Those things drive me crazy.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:57 PM   #427
mexico70
Six Point

Hunt In: Sutton co.

Quote:
Good luck Bowslayer ! Like I said before we actually got off a good lease a few years ago because we had to many Audad . They're worse than hogs !
mexico70 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 09:57 PM   #428
Grant2
Ten Point

Man sounds like you are overrun with them. I would start selling hunts at a very good price LoL! We have not seen any on our place.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:15 PM   #429
millman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonora, and anywhere I can draw a tag

2 1/10" at the ranch since 8/1 and 22 7/10"for the year. VERY thankful for the rain! I have never seen water or grass like we have right now, cows are fatter than tic's. Persimmon trees are draped over from being loaded, so many mesquite beans the deer can't eat them all and I am sure the acorns will be a crop to hate! SURE BEATS A DROUGHT!!!!!
millman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #430
Grant2
Ten Point

Yes sir rain is good! The deer are still hitting the feeders hard even with all the green out.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:01 PM   #431
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: all over

Quote:

Did you get em a new feeder!!! 2 wasn't enough!! They'll make a person wish for hogs!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 11:36 PM   #432
IAFFHunter18
Four Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Sonora
Default Aoudad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post
Did you get em a new feeder!!! 2 wasn't enough!! They'll make a person wish for hogs!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol... ssshhhhh!!! he hasn't figured out yet that we have put aoudad attractant in his feed pen!!! I dont have a single one on camera this last go round!!!
IAFFHunter18 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2017, 11:38 PM   #433
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAFFHunter18 View Post
Lol... ssshhhhh!!! he hasn't figured out yet that we have put aoudad attractant in his feed pen!!! I dont have a single one on camera this last go round!!!

Ok, looks like I may have a sudden lease opening.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:09 PM   #434
TXraiderTK
Six Point

Hunt In: Crockett Co. Hays Co.

Any rain from the storm hitting Sonora/Ozona
TXraiderTK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2017, 09:08 PM   #435
TexZ71
Ten Point

Y'all heard anything about the anthrax warning around Ozona?
TexZ71 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2017, 12:06 AM   #436
mexico70
Six Point

Hunt In: Sutton co.

I know a guy who hunts closer to Del Rio down 277 he said there ranch owner told them the conditions were right for anthrax this year but that's all I've heard.
mexico70 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #437
The Cajun
Six Point

Been at the ranch since beginning of August. A lot of showers around Sonora the past couple weeks. The showers have been very isolated and really is a hit or miss whether it hits your property or not. They are mostly light showers that come through in the afternoons. Our ranch has gotten at least one shower the past 6 days in a row. Not enough to make roads muddy but enough to keep the dust down and get everything wet.

We've been doing a lot of work on the stands these past few weeks with a good bit of hunting as well. Axis seem to not be on our property right now, at least not in the quantity they typically are. Regardless we've been seeing some here and there. After a couple weeks of bow hunting, I decided to take the rifle out. Saturday morning was able to connect on two doe with a new .257 I got recently. That same afternoon my buddy was also able to connect on a decent buck. He had some cool bladed main beams above the caudal points.

Will be here up through October and looking forward to dove opener and bow season. A good amount of doves here this year and whitetail are growing in nice.

Anyone else coming down for dove opener this weekend?
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2017, 11:35 PM   #438
JFRITZ06
Four Point

Hunt In: New Mexico/Texas/Colorado

Would you guys have any recommendations for a reasonable electric company that services the Sonora area? We are using the Co-op and they seem pretty high??? Thanks!
JFRITZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2017, 11:50 PM   #439
Sackett
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRITZ06 View Post
Would you guys have any recommendations for a reasonable electric company that services the Sonora area? We are using the Co-op and they seem pretty high??? Thanks!
We use the co-op too. From my understanding, there isn't any other provider in the area?
Old 09-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #440
ColinR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Yep in rural parts of Texas the co-op is your only choice, I suspect you have PEC depending on what part of Sutton county your in. That is who we have at home and really like them. You think they are high compared to what?
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #441
JFRITZ06
Four Point

Hunt In: New Mexico/Texas/Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
Yep in rural parts of Texas the co-op is your only choice, I suspect you have PEC depending on what part of Sutton county your in. That is who we have at home and really like them. You think they are high compared to what?

They seem high compared to the Southeast Texas area. They have minimum monthly meter charges weather you're using them or not and their KW charge seems a little high. I thought I might shop it around if it was possible. I appreciate the input. Thanks and good luck out there!
JFRITZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #442
The Cajun
Six Point

Well its been a great past two weeks at the ranch. After hurricane Harvey we decided to do a Harvey donation hunt. With the help of some friends and the neighbors ranch we manage to shoot 15 axis in the past two weeks. Jessica at RoughCreek Taxidermy helped us with all the processing and HEB donated 75 pounds of beef fat trimmings. In total we were able to donate 400 pounds of ground axis to two different food pantries to feed those in need. Within the hunt my buddy was able to get his first axis and I got my first axis buck with the bow. Was a lot of work, but glad it all came together as quickly as it did.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2017, 10:30 AM   #443
Bort
Six Point

Awesomeness
Bort is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #444
Shane
Pope & Young

Nice!
Old 09-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #445
Stolle
Pope & Young

Nice!

We are heading back to our place this weekend to work on the cabin addition. Last trip we got the HVAC in and 90% insulated. This weekend we will finish up the plumbing and start installing paneling.

Lots of deer eating, but they will get a pass this weekend.
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 12:49 PM   #446
daniel044
Eight Point

Thats was a great idea for those that have lost so much!

We went up couple of weekends ago. Checked cameras and put feed out. Shot some dove as well. Got some real nice bucks coming to the feeders right now. Hopefully they stick around for a few more weeks.
daniel044 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #447
TXraiderTK
Six Point

Hunt In: Crockett Co. Hays Co.

hey great work Cajun

hoping to get out west again this weekend, do one last feeder fill and prep
TXraiderTK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 08:38 AM   #448
Stolle
Pope & Young

The axis are hungry. They are packed in there.
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #449
Sackett
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolle View Post
The axis are hungry. They are packed in there.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #450
Diamond07
Six Point

Hunt In: No Limits

If any of you Sonora boys have an opening or 2 come available next year, I would love to be put on the wait list. Looking for a place for my brother and I.
Diamond07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top