Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #1
2014FusionM
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jack county, bailey county
Default 30 Year Mortgage To A 15 Year

I have been thinking recently about refinancing my house loan from a 30 year to a 15 year mortgage. Some of you might recall that my wife sales new homes and well the DFW market has been booming, and that has been good for the pocket book.

We have been putting back money and we both have the cars that we want, live in a house we really like, along with a good school district. We make extra payments now on the house which would probably add up to what a 15 year mortgage would be but we also like the flexibility of if times were to get tight we still have a low payment.

that being said would it really be worth moving to a 15 year mortgage? we already have a 3.25% interest rate on our 30yr and are only about a year into it. could anyone give me the numbers along with a round about cost for all the fees to close on a 15yr?
2014FusionM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
grizzman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas and Arkansas

I did it in 2005. Reduced mortgage rate and the payments stayed about the same. I had 23 years left of the 30 year mortgage so I cut 8 years off. Will have it paid off in 2020 and I don't regret the decision. I can't remember what the closing costs were.
grizzman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
thegrouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson and San Saba County

My credit union let me go from a 30 to a 15 for $1000. They called it a modification not a refinance so the paperwork was very easy. I went from around a 4% to a 2.875.
thegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 10:59 AM   #4
lnester
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lufkin

Just pay extra principal each month to make it a 15 year mortgage. That way you avoid the fees of re-financing.

Then, if things get tight, your minimum payment is only a 30-year mortgage payment. The best of both worlds.
lnester is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #5
Codie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young,Throckmorton & Shackleford counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrouse View Post
My credit union let me go from a 30 to a 15 for $1000. They called it a modification not a refinance so the paperwork was very easy. I went from around a 4% to a 2.875.
this - check and see if you have the ability to do a modification instead of a re-finance. Outside of that it depends on what type of costs you are going to be charged to do the transaction as to whether it is smarter to keep your non interest expense money (fees cost) in your pocket and just put extra towards each payment or go ahead and re-finance or modify.
Codie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
gofish24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas

cutting years always saves you money, but I believe 15 year rates today are around 3%. the 3.25% 30 year you have is a good 30 year rate.

if your mortgage was $100k on a 30 year and you still had 30 years left and you went down from 3.25 to 3% on a 15 year you save around $5k total.
gofish24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
bgbean90
Six Point

Hunt In: Boerne, San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnester View Post
Just pay extra principal each month to make it a 15 year mortgage. That way you avoid the fees of re-financing.

Then, if things get tight, your minimum payment is only a 30-year mortgage payment. The best of both worlds.
Agreed! Best advice I received when going through the mortgage process!
bgbean90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #8
32drawlength
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County, Mexia

Quote:

This...
32drawlength is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 01:20 PM   #9
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofish24 View Post
cutting years always saves you money, but I believe 15 year rates today are around 3%. the 3.25% 30 year you have is a good 30 year rate.

if your mortgage was $100k on a 30 year and you still had 30 years left and you went down from 3.25 to 3% on a 15 year you save around $5k total.

You need to brush up on your amortization skills.
$100,000 at 3.25% for 30 years ... total P&I payments = $156,674
$100,000 at 3.00% for 15 years ... total P&I payments = $124,304
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 01:27 PM   #10
justintyme8303
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Looking for lease. HELP!!

Quote:

x2
justintyme8303 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #11
TigerBob
Four Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

Another thought - because your rate is already really low - take that extra money you would put towards your mortgage and invest it. As long as your disciplined and continue to invest, you can build your savings and have the liquid funds available should you ever need them. This way you aren't forced to pay a higher monthly mortgage payment should hard times hit or be forced into another cash out refi in the future should you need access to these funds for any reason.
TigerBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #12
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

some of yall got it going on and are smart...others not so much lol
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #13
HoustonHunter94
Ten Point

Quote:

This is what I do.
HoustonHunter94 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 02:53 PM   #14
gofish24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post
your right that was just the rate change. didn't change the number of years
gofish24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 03:08 PM   #15
jbarr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country, S. Texas

We went from a 30 to a 15 year mortgage a few years ago and my wife told that we should have house paid off in 2 more years. We have been in our house for 13 years total, my wife is pretty awesome when it comes to our financial situation, even though sometimes I want to go do things and she says we are broke, there is always a method to her madness.
jbarr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2017, 03:41 PM   #16
wal1809
Eight Point

Quote:

right here
wal1809 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 11:44 AM   #17
2014FusionM
Eight Point

Quote:

I think this is what we are going to go with. We may pay a little more in interest but we will have the flexibility of going down on the payment.

We are putting about 18% back into savings each, that includes company matching. We have also stacked up our savings pretty good. We are truly blessed and hope it keeps coming.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #18
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Angelina/Trinity Counties

Quote:

This. Don't make it complicated.

Refinances (or any mortgage process) is a pain so stick with what you have and pay down extra. Any refinance is going to cost you, whether you pay out of pocket or they roll it into the note.
HoustonHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #19
ACook
Eight Point

Hunt In: NM, MS

Some of you mortgage whizzes on here, I have a question. I have a 30 year mortgage. I pay 1/2 of my monthly mortgage every 2 weeks when I get paid. This results in 26 payments each year. Since I pay 1/2 every 2 weeks, does this reduce the number of years until payoff? Also how does paying an extra payment a year effect payoff? Thanks in advance.
ACook is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #20
Twayne
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACook View Post
Some of you mortgage whizzes on here, I have a question. I have a 30 year mortgage. I pay 1/2 of my monthly mortgage every 2 weeks when I get paid. This results in 26 payments each year. Since I pay 1/2 every 2 weeks, does this reduce the number of years until payoff? Also how does paying an extra payment a year effect payoff? Thanks in advance.

Yes paying half of a payment every 2 weeks will cut down the length of the term since you will essentially be making 13 "monthly" payments per year. You will pay less interest overall saving you money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twayne is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #21
ACook
Eight Point

Hunt In: NM, MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twayne View Post
Yes paying half of a payment every 2 weeks will cut down the length of the term since you will essentially be making 13 "monthly" payments per year. You will pay less interest overall saving you money.

Thanks! This is what I figured. Do you know approximately how many years it cuts off or a calculator that shows?
ACook is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #22
rferg84
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nolan and Fisher Counties

Wife and I are both self employed for the last 6 years.

30 year mortgage what's that? lol

Hard to qualify for secondary market loans with business debt and a bunch of commercial real estate.

We are used to having to do 15-20 years with 10-20% down.

Actually is pretty nice when you get accustomed to it.
rferg84 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #23
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACook View Post
1 extra full payment per year(on top of principal) will lower a 30 year note almost 1 year. because all of that payment is going towards principal and no interest.

You are stilll paying the regular amount on your monthly mortgage so that will not positively affect anything.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:13 PM   #24
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:

If your paying a normal mortgage monthly amount it does not matter how many payments it takes you to reach that amount.

For example, if you owe $1000 a month. If you pay 1 payment of $1000 or 10 payments of $100 it is still $1000. SO your not saving any money. YOu only save money when you pay over the amount as that goes directly to principal. IE that extra monthly payment
Old 09-11-2017, 12:14 PM   #25
300rem7
Eight Point

Quote:

+1

Last edited by 300rem7; 09-11-2017 at 12:17 PM..
300rem7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #26
Twayne
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
If your paying a normal mortgage monthly amount it does not matter how many payments it takes you to reach that amount.

For example, if you owe $1000 a month. If you pay 1 payment of $1000 or 10 payments of $100 it is still $1000. SO your not saving any money. YOu only save money when you pay over the amount as that goes directly to principal. IE that extra monthly payment

Yes if you go back and actually read what I said you will probably see that we have said the same thing. Paying and extra monthly payment per year will cut down the overall interest paid which does result in saving money in the long run. The only money to be saved is by paying less interest.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #27
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes if you go back and actually read what I said you will probably see that we have said the same thing. Paying and extra monthly payment per year will cut down the overall interest paid which does result in saving money in the long run. The only money to be saved is by paying less interest.

well this is what you said below....which is wrong on the 1st question he had

Yes paying half of a payment every 2 weeks will cut down the length of the term
Old 09-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #28
Twayne
Nubbin' Buck

Default 30 Year Mortgage To A 15 Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
well this is what you said below....which is wrong on the 1st question he had

Yes paying half of a payment every 2 weeks will cut down the length of the term

Ok and please explain, in detail, how this is wrong? His initial question did not state that he makes an additional principle payment each year. Just that he pays 26 payments every year instead of 12.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #29
deerwatcher51
Eight Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofish24 View Post

This is the best advice you are going to get.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 12:21 PM   #30
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar, Dickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post
TRUE, but if OP pays at the 15 year amortization on his 30 year mortgage, difference in cost of rate (3 vs 3.25) is only $2K over that 15 year timeframe.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #31
txdukklr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria

we didn't change mortgages we simply set up payments against our paychecks so we were making two payments every 26 weeks.

we paid ours off in literally no time.
txdukklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #32
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Just ask your lender to calculate how much extra principal you'd have to make every month to pay your mortgage off in 15 years instead of 30 and then pay that amount extra. Make sure you designate the extra as "principal payment" when you do, otherwise it messes with their heads and they'll put it in your escrow account. Ask me how I know.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 04:02 PM   #33
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014FusionM View Post
I think this is what we are going to go with. We may pay a little more in interest but we will have the flexibility of going down on the payment.

We are putting about 18% back into savings each, that includes company matching. We have also stacked up our savings pretty good. We are truly blessed and hope it keeps coming.
Congratulations. Keep working hard.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #34
zztex
Pope & Young

ttt
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #35
Abctx
Four Point

If you were getting a WAY better APR, it might be worth it. Don't think that'll be the case for you. As mentioned, your best bet would be to just double up on payments when you have the chance.
Abctx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 08:54 AM   #36
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Ok and please explain, in detail, how this is wrong? His initial question did not state that he makes an additional principle payment each year. Just that he pays 26 payments every year instead of 12.

Making 2 half payments a month instead of 1 full payment a month will not benefit you in any way as its the same. You are not paying less interest or paying more towards principal
Old 09-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #37
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBob View Post
Another thought - because your rate is already really low - take that extra money you would put towards your mortgage and invest it. As long as your disciplined and continue to invest, you can build your savings and have the liquid funds available should you ever need them. This way you aren't forced to pay a higher monthly mortgage payment should hard times hit or be forced into another cash out refi in the future should you need access to these funds for any reason.
Dave Ramsey is that you?!
Aggiehunter08 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #38
Twayne
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post

Lol Unfortunately no I don't think that's Dave. Dave wouldn't tell you to invest or throw any additional money onto your mortgage until after you've paid off all consumer debt. Then start investing 15% of your annual income into your 401k or good solid mutual funds. Then throw anything you have left onto your mortgage to pay it off as fast as possible.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #39
kae006
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comfort, SHNF

At 3.25% you probably wouldn't save enough to make it worth paying any closing costs again unless you planned to be in the home long term unless your bank offered a streamline refi. As others have said, I would just focus on maxing out your 401k's and paying extra each month.
kae006 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #40
Stick-Launcher
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

If you are currently paying PMI then it will most definitely be worth refinancing... You have to have a certain amount of equity in your home to get out of paying that...
Stick-Launcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 10:18 AM   #41
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCullouch County

Quote:

This... Just double the principal portion of your payment and you'll cut the time in half...
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #42
ken
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursejenn View Post
This... Just double the principal portion of your payment and you'll cut the time in half...
This isn't true. Since the balance will be lowered with each additional principal payment made, the interest due will go down also.

Making double principal payments would fully amortize the loan in less than half the time.

To the OP, you can download an amortization template and play with the principal payments to see what would be your best option. My gut feeling is the interest saved by going down a 1/4% in interest rate would not make up for the re-fi cost.
ken is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #43
2014FusionM
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick-Launcher View Post
If you are currently paying PMI then it will most definitely be worth refinancing... You have to have a certain amount of equity in your home to get out of paying that...
We don't have PMI with a Veteran home loan.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #44
nursejenn
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McCullouch County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken View Post
This isn't true. Since the balance will be lowered with each additional principal payment made, the interest due will go down also.

Making double principal payments would fully amortize the loan in less than half the time.

To the OP, you can download an amortization template and play with the principal payments to see what would be your best option. My gut feeling is the interest saved by going down a 1/4% in interest rate would not make up for the re-fi cost.
Semantics... cheaper than fully refinancing....
nursejenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #45
TigerBob
Four Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
Close, but not quite . I do like being debt free other than my house mortgage though. I don't see the point in paying off the house faster if I can invest those extra funds and make a higher rate of return than I'm paying in interest. The underlying asset still will appreciate (the house and/or land) and your making headway into paying off that mortgage if you wish while allowing yourself the freedom to access that cash if you need it. To each their own though - as long as you're bettering yourself financially, then there's really no wrong answer.
TigerBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #46
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar, Dickens

There are several mortgage apps that you can use to determine what your payment needs to be to payoff in the time frame you want. Remember to account for escrow if it is included in your payment. Also escow will continue to increase over time so add some additional to account for that increase.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top