Tikka Bolt Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tikka Bolt Issue

I have had 6 or 7 Tikka rifles and I have never had this issue. This gun is brand new, received from EuroOptic a couple of weeks ago. So here’s the problem.

I wanted to guage my seating depth to the lands so I took a fired case and slipped a bullet in it. I go to close the bolt, and as soon as I press down, the bolt locks up. I mean it is locked, won’t go down, won’t come up, bolt won’t come out. I have to disassemble, remove the trigger assembly, use an Allen wrench to push the bolt shroud back while pulling the bolt up, then it releases.

This is what’s getting me. I can open and close the bolt, dry fire, the whole kit and kaboodle without a cartridge. As soon as I slide a cartridge in, it locks back up.

Any idea what the problem may be? I’m at a loss.

If your fired case is from a different rifle, the chamber is different in this rifle than the one the case was originally fired in. To use a fired case to set seating depth, you have to use a case fired in that particular rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer56 View Post
      If your fired case is from a different rifle, the chamber is different in this rifle than the one the case was originally fired in. To use a fired case to set seating depth, you have to use a case fired in that particular rifle.
      These are fired cases from a different rifle. Would that still make the bolt lock up though? I would think it would just make it tough to close the bolt. Am I wrong there?

Comment

You can use them in a different gun, you just need to run the cases through a full length sizer die (not just a neck sizer die) first.

Gently tapping with a rubber mallet ought to help unstick it.

To answer your question directly, yes, it can indeed make the bolt lock up, not just be hard to close.
        Last edited by Balcones_Walker; 02-24-2018, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
          You can use them in a different gun, you just need to run the cases through a full length sizer die (not just a neck sizer die) first.

To answer your question directly, yes, it can indeed make the bolt lock up, not just be hard to close.
          That depends on how far the bolt goes forward. And it it’s that far off you’ve serious chambers issues with 1 of the 2 guns.

Comment

I’ve encountered this before but I forget what it was. If I remember right a screw was hitting somewhere. Action screw I think. Wasn’t a tikka. But it’s been awhile. I don’t recall exactly what it was.

Comment

Tapping it would not do anything. When I say the bolt locks up, it locks up. I have to disassemble the rifle and release the bolt shroud in order to get the bolt to release. It’s like something is engaging when I go to close the bolt.

I’m going to FL size a case today and see what happens.

Comment

Winner winner. Resized and she closed up like a charm. Never would have thought that would make the bolt lock up. Figured it would just be a tight fit and not work. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  I’ve encountered this before but I forget what it was. If I remember right a screw was hitting somewhere. Action screw I think. Wasn’t a tikka. But it’s been awhile. I don’t recall exactly what it was.

Rookie. [emoji12]

Some scope base screws are too long and will prevent the bolt from completely closing on Remington 700 receivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    Rookie. [emoji12]

Some scope base screws are too long and will prevent the bolt from completely closing on Remington 700 receivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    Well duh. You’d think that would be obvious with marks on the top lol

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                      Winner winner. Resized and she closed up like a charm. Never would have thought that would make the bolt lock up. Figured it would just be a tight fit and not work. Thanks.
                      I’d say one of those has some issues. I guess if they shoot good then ok but that’s gonna wear brass out lol. I hope you neck size only the one that was expanddd so much.

Comment

Captain Obvious says. This sounds like a QC issue. Have you contacted Tikka? If you start jacking with it that may void the warranty.
                        If you don't want to do that?
                        Try using a virgin Plane Jane factory load especially if your using hot reloads. Tolerance a zillionth of a inch = FUBAR.
                        How about head spacing?
                        Check for burrs & boogers.
                        Me I'd talk to Tikka. If they are worth a hoot they will fix or replace your rifle and reimburse you for S&H.
                        If you do send it back please keep TBH members informed of what's going on. Help us know if Tikka is worth a crap as far as warranty & such.
                        God bless!
                        Semper fi.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          I’d say one of those has some issues. I guess if they shoot good then ok but that’s gonna wear brass out lol. I hope you neck size only the one that was expanddd so much.
                          Originally posted by texaspacker View Post
                          Captain Obvious says. This sounds like a QC issue. Have you contacted Tikka? If you start jacking with it that may void the warranty.
                          If you don't want to do that?
                          Try using a virgin Plane Jane factory load especially if your using hot reloads. Tolerance a zillionth of a inch = FUBAR.
                          How about head spacing?
                          Check for burrs & boogers.
                          Me I'd talk to Tikka. If they are worth a hoot they will fix or replace your rifle and reimburse you for S&H.
                          If you do send it back please keep TBH members informed of what's going on. Help us know if Tikka is worth a crap as far as warranty & such.
                          God bless!
                          Semper fi.

The problem we was the case needed sent through the sizing die. Everything works as it should now. Kind of a “duh” moment for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                            The problem we was the case needed sent through the sizing die. Everything works as it should now. Kind of a “duh” moment for me.

Glad you got it handled.

I had a somewhat similar issue with a Tikka my brother had purchased and asked me to do a few minor mods on. He hadn’t even taken it out of the box when he gave it to me. Weird thing.....problem was the factory bolt shroud. Not even sure what the problem was with the factory shroud but I was trying everything and at a loss for solving the issue and I finally grabbed a Mountain Tactical bolt shroud off of a Tikka that I have and poof, worked like a charm. It was strange.

Comment

Working...
                            X