Rebarrel question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebarrel question

I've got a Tikka t3 varmint 22-250. I want to rebarrel to 224 valkyrie. Will the bolt and magazine be a direct swap? Or will I need to replace them as well as the barrel?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

No. And why on earth would you want to do that

Comment

Less wind drift. Heavier bullets. Supersonic at longer ranges.

Comment

None of that is true

Comment

Keep drinking the cool aid. You hot rod a .22-250 with heavies and it will smoke the .224 valk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexMax View Post
            None of that is true
            They've got 22-250 factory ammo heavier than 90 gr? 22-250 is faster at the muzzle but loses velocity quicker to the heavier longer bullet. So 224 valkyrie maintains velocity at longer ranges which is my intent. And a heavier bullet with better bc will have less wind drift. Didn't really start thread to discuss merits of 224, but for somebody like me who doesn't reload and wants to push a 22 cal bullet out to 600-1000 yards to ring steel I think it's a great option.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
              Keep drinking the cool aid. You hot rod a .22-250 with heavies and it will smoke the .224 valk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I dont reload and ive got the typical slow rate 22-250 twist that won't stabilize heavies anyway

Comment

Not reloading is the issue, but there are custom ammo manufactures that will take care of that for you. Screw a 1:7 twist barrel on the action and chamber it in 22-250, 22 Creedmoor, 22-243, 22-250 AI or several others and it will smoke the Valk.

Sometimes I shoot 90gr Berger VLD Target bullets in a Remington 700 chambered in 22-243 with a 27 inch Hart barrel. With that twist it finally starts to shoot at 3200fps. Try that with a Valk.

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                  Not reloading is the issue, but there are custom ammo manufactures that will take care of that for you. Screw a 1:7 twist barrel on the action and chamber it in 22-250, 22 Creedmoor, 22-243, 22-250 AI or several others and it will smoke the Valk.

Sometimes I shoot 90gr Berger VLD Target bullets in a Remington 700 chambered in 22-243 with a 27 inch Hart barrel. With that twist it finally starts to shoot at 3200fps. Try that with a Valk.
                  There are trade offs with every round. Whats the barrel life of a 22-243 pushing 90s at 3200fps? I know I'm limiting myself by sticking to factory ammo. I may look at some custom ammo manufacturers. Got any in mind? Only one I know of is Dallas reloads.

I'll pose this question. If you are going to strictly run factory ammo. I want a 22 inch barrel (suppressed) with a 22 cal bullet no less than 90 gr. Want to be able to be stable out to 1000 yards. What cartridge would you choose?

Comment

The Valkyrie is a .223 bolt face. You have a standard .308 bolt face. Nothing will be interchangeable.

Comment

The allure to the 224V is that it gets close to a 22-250 but in an AR15 platform instead of an AR10. You can blow its doors off in a bolt action.

Comment

22-250 A.I. is a monster. You can probably even ream the chamber to a 22-243 or a 22 creedmoor if something crazy interests you. All of these choices are crazy good.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          The allure to the 224V is that it gets close to a 22-250 but in an AR15 platform instead of an AR10. You can blow its doors off in a bolt action.
                          This is it. Why go to .22-250 light from .22-250?

Comment

Matt nailed it.

I'm running a 22-250AI at 3100 with an 80 grain and a short 22 inch barrel.

If you're going to re-barrel to run heavies that would be my suggestion.

I think you're asking a lot to believe that factory ammo even from a custom barrel is going to hold up at 1k. There's a lot fine tuning that can be done to produce a quality reload that is capable of consistently hitting at such range.

Comment

It makes zero sense to own a plinking/range rifle chambered in a uncommon cartridge that you don’t reload for. You won’t end up shooting it more than a few times a year. Either get into reloading or stick to easily found factory ammo.

Hornady loads a ton of .223 rounds with their 75 gr match bullet. At 0’ elevation and 60 degrees, it is doing 1075 fps at 1000 yards, so it’s basically going subsonic at the target. With any elevation it should hold more speed.

Keep in mind that a .223 at 1000 yards will give you almost no feedback. You aren’t likely to see it kick up dust or hear it hit steel at that range.

Buying a .223 with an 1 in 8” twist barrel is an easy option, either keep your rifle also or sell it. I wouldn’t rebarrel it to .223 though.

If you’re dead set on rebarreling, go with either 6mm or 6.5mm Creedmoor. Both easily stay supersonic past 1,000 yards, have a ton of factory ammo options, and just require a barrel swap. Now cue the haters.

Comment

Working...
                              X