Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the 270 and 30-06 Calibers the Best Option for any Hunting Scenario?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
    What twist are you running that will stabilize 55gr and also 220gr?
    10 twist. the 55 are Sabot rounds, the 220 are round nose and are no longer than many 180 bottails. People been shooting those rounds out of 3006s for many many years. That is why the 3006 wins. (the sabot rounds are not terribly accurate though and 110s are better for varmints)

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post

For example, if you are hunting whitetail, then it seems there are several other calibers that will kill them just as dead but with less recoil.
      I'll just say this - I've shot deer with 6.5 Grendel, 243, 270, 308, 300 Win Mag, 375 H&H Mag. You're right there is only one kind of dead... but bigger, faster bullet (more energy) at the business end means less tracking and chasing deer if you make a less than perfect shot.

You notice recoil at the range when you're shooting at paper from a benchrest. You don't notice recoil in the field (especially if you're shooting at a big 'un). Shoot the biggest that you can manage not to develop a flinch at the range. When you shoot a deer, you won't notice the recoil, but you will have muscle memory from the range.
      Last edited by Ryan-in-SA1; 02-19-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

If I had to choose only one caliber, .30-06 all day long. Killed Nilgai, deer, hogs and coyotes with a weatherby vanguard for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

when I got my first hunting rifle, I figured it would be the only one in the safe for a while. given that, I went 3006. figure it would take care of about any opportunity requiring a rifle that may arise before adding in anything else down the road

Comment

Y’all do know that neither 270 nor 3006 are calibers right?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post

And here we go....

Comment

I'd take a 270 over a 30-06 any day. Maybe I've just had bad luck with the 30-06, but I'm not a fan. I don't like to look at a gun as a "do it all kind of a gun". For Texas(when I'm using a rifle) I'm either varmint hunting or deer/hog hunting, so I mostly use a .308 and a 22-250. Pretty good combo to own. I take deer/hogs with both rifles depending on what mood I'm in. .308 for the shoulder shots, 22-250 for neck shots/ear holeing pigs. 308 perfectly capable of taking bigger game though

Comment

Finn Aagard built his “one gun” years ago as a .30-06 on a Mauser 98. If you handload or don’t, you can go varmint to elk with ease. The variety or weights and bullets allow for it to be that for those that want to have just one caliber in the safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                    I'm the other way around. 270 yes, 30-06 no. Your shoulder pays for the inefficient design every time you pull the trigger.

270 is a phenomenal "do it all". It's hard to imagine having to pick only one cartridge though.
                    It's funny you say this because I have both in a Remington 700 and the 270 kicks a lot harder than the 30 06, don't know why. I can shoot the 270 5 times and have a nice bruise and the 06 doesn't do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                      I guess, another way to phrase my question, is when would you recommend a 270 or 30-06 over another caliber?
                      Never... there's always a better option. That said, either will do many jobs adequately.
                      In general humanity progresses over time. To think that we got it right in the first two decades of the 20th century and have moved backward since is pretty shortsighted I think.
                      There are a number of factors at play today that are significantly different from those of that era and lead to different end products.

Comment

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                        It's funny you say this because I have both in a Remington 700 and the 270 kicks a lot harder than the 30 06, don't know why. I can shoot the 270 5 times and have a nice bruise and the 06 doesn't do anything.
                        It's just physics... there are plenty of hard numbers all over the internet for those two, or you can do the 1/2mv^2 (1/2*mass*velocity squared) yourself.

Heavy guns with good brakes and pads absorb recoil much better than light guns do, perhaps that's what caused your perception.

And agreed, I don't feel qualified to comment because I simply can't fathom picking one cartridge.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post

Caliber cartridge clip magazine. What difference does it matter we knew what the dude was talking about. You do know y’all isn’t an actual official word right?

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                            Caliber cartridge clip magazine. What difference does it matter we knew what the dude was talking about. You do know y’all isn’t an actual official word right?

Rifle "shells" is the one that always confuses me

Comment

Yes, ESPECIALLY if you handload.

Comment

I've killed everything from blackbuck to elk with my 270....all dead and delicious. I'd have no problem hunting up to moose with mine but think I'd change for brownies.

For me, thats my caliber, probably for the rest of life.

Comment

Working...
                                X