Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the 270 and 30-06 Calibers the Best Option for any Hunting Scenario?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While these calibers are undoubtedly two of the most popular calibers ever, are they still the best option out there for any scenario, or are they just a good "do everything" type of caliber?

For example, if you are hunting whitetail, then it seems there are several other calibers that will kill them just as dead but with less recoil.

If you are hunting elk, it seems there are several other calibers that have more knock down power and long range capability.

It seems like they are decent at everything but not the BEST option for any specific situation.

I can see buying one of the two calibers if you are looking for a caliber that you can use on all North American game, but are they really the best choice for any specific hunting application?

Also, I am not interesting in "ammo availability and price" types of debates. I think it is undeniable that you can find ammo in pretty much every town in these two calibers.

I guess, another way to phrase my question, is when would you recommend a 270 or 30-06 over another caliber?

Disclaimer - I own a 270 and it is my favorite gun I own, but largely in part due to sentimental value.

I think you answered your own question regarding their being relevant. For all the reasons you listed they are still relevant. Someone just getting into the "sport" of hunting and isn't wanting to buy a gun for every species then heck ya I am recommending one of those two calibers.

Comment

I would recommend them both over most short action rounds for hunting muleys out to several hundred yards. And also would recommend them both for elk 400 and in as well. They fit into that niche nicely. They are a little over kill for texas whitetails but great on slightly bigger animals. But muleys are much bigger and I like having that extra energy. They would also make great caribou cartridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yea... but... if you don’t have a 6.5 creedmore you can’t tell everyone about it.

Comment

The average person can go to any sporting goods , buy a gun in either caliber and go harvest a deer, hog, javelina or turkey anywhere in Texas. You can also find guns in this caliber in a affordable price range that any working class guy can afford .

Comment

No, only the 3006. 270 is great, but don't offer the heavy weights. The 3006 is the greatest non dangerous game cartridge ever devised. One caliber that can do it all without beating you up. Also it is available in just about every action type. If there is a gun chances are it comes in 06. So the real question is why would anyone recommend anything else?

Comment

I'm the other way around. 270 yes, 30-06 no. Your shoulder pays for the inefficient design every time you pull the trigger.

270 is a phenomenal "do it all". It's hard to imagine having to pick only one cartridge though.

Comment

I have both calibers and love them both and have no need to buy a cannon, those do it fine for me.

With that said it more than likely is a just a personal preference they all will kill.

Comment

The 06 can run 55gr to 220gr projectile.

Comment

Putting down big game like elk has more to do with shot placement than caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
                      I'm the other way around. 270 yes, 30-06 no. Your shoulder pays for the inefficient design every time you pull the trigger.

270 is a phenomenal "do it all". It's hard to imagine having to pick only one cartridge though.
                      I am just glad we are arguing 3006s and 270s like men, in stead of 223/300bo/6.5creed/243. And I will say that even Elmer Keith liked a 270, said it was a great Coyote rifle. Haha. 270s are dang good guns too, second best, but still nice :-)

Comment

Originally posted by thorthunder View Post
                        This. That is range right there.

Bullet choice is more important that the round. A .270 with a nosler or something along those lines is going to dominate a 7 mag or 300WM with a cheap bullet that fails to expand.

Neither are irrelevant, and will never be. I always recommend those two round to people if they ask what is best for deer or elk.

Comment

Originally posted by thorthunder View Post
                          What twist are you running that will stabilize 55gr and also 220gr?

Comment

READ "O'CONNOR'S THOUGHTS ON 270 V/S 30-06 . You have the best choice already. Don't over think it partner ...

Comment

Originally posted by nimrodajh View Post
                              Yea... but... if you don’t have a 6.5 creedmore you can’t tell everyone about it.
                              Nailed it. Similar to a Vegan or Cross-Trainer. lol

I would love to have a gun for every situation. However, I only have a hand full to take care of everything I need. If I need a rifle and it isn't for squirrels, my .270 gets the call.

Comment

Working...
                              X