22 Magnum on a Javelina?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22 Magnum on a Javelina?

As I ask this I know I am going to hear both sides, with a good shot you can kill anything with a BB gun or I shoot them with a 300win mag because I don't want to field dress them.

In general what do you think of this round for a javelina? I have a 30.06, 30.30, 223 that I could use but I have a Ruger 10/22 Magnum that I haven't shot anything with in a while...

Thoughts?

Don't think it's technically legal to shoot game animals with a rim fire rifle. But I could be mistaken.

Comment

Just my thought use the 223 . You can kill a pig ,cow with a 22 if you are close and shoot them between the eyes at close range

Comment

I'm sure with a good head shot it would do it but is it legal? Javalina are game animals? Couldn't remember if they are or not and I think you need a center fire. Im probably wrong

Comment

Pretty sure you can shoot a javelina with a rimfire. I could be wrong though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have never shot them with any thing other then an arrow. I think a 22 mag. would do the trick. I would say they are comparable to a coyote. If I was to use anything other then an arrow, it would be a black powder rifle, or bp pistol. Or a hand gun. Its super easy to get with in firearm distance, you should have no problem.

Comment

No problem with a properly placed round.
              I have killed a bunch of hogs with a 17HMR. If you put it in the ear they are DRT

Comment

Lethal but not legal

Comment

Rimfire is legal for javelina. Ear hole them

Comment

From TPWD:

" Game animals and game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, except:

white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may not be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber."

Last edited by TxAg; 02-09-2018, 08:36 AM.

Comment

I use a 22 for my hunts so I don't scare anything else off. Aim for the ear and they go down every time

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                        From TPWD:

" Game animals and game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, except:

white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may not be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber."
                        I stand corrected

Comment

.223. No reason to attempt to trail them in the thick brush they inhabit.

I would use a bow for the challenge. Easy to stalk and kill if you stay downwind.

Comment

.22 mag is legal for Javelina and will drop them with a good shot. If you're confident in your and the rifle's ability go for it!

Comment

I was with NO untel I looked

Hunting Means and Methods
                              Contents
                              Firearms
                              Archery and Crossbows
                              Falconry
                              Restricted Methods
                              Legal Methods
                              Valid Sep. 1, 2017 through Aug. 31, 2018.
                              Firearms
                              Game animals and game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, except:

white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may not be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber

Sorry someone done answered it same way ///did'nt catch it

Comment

Working...
                              X