Slug guns: Savage 212 OR HR slug gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slug guns: Savage 212 OR HR slug gun

I want a dedicated slug gun. Anyone have these? Is accuracy about the same?

I have an ultra slug hunter in 20ga. Really no need at all for a 12ga. I shoot 2 1/2 inch group at 100yrds and close to a one hole at 50yrds.

Comment

I own the savage 220 and the HR ultra slug hunter twelve guage. I prefer the savage 220 with Leupold 3x9x40 slug scope, I would let you shoot both guns if your ever in Georgetown.

Comment

Originally posted by 10132297 View Post
        I own the savage 220 and the HR ultra slug hunter twelve guage. I prefer the savage 220 with Leupold 3x9x40 slug scope, I would let you shoot both guns if your ever in Georgetown.
        How does the HR do kick wise? I want to stick with a 12 gauge as I have many rounds already stock piled. I appreciate the offer but I rarely get up in that area.
        Last edited by brushtrooper; 07-23-2017, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
          How does the HR do kick wise? I want to stick with a 12 gauge as I have many rounds already stock piled. I appreciate the offer but I rarely get up in that area.
          My ultra slug hunter 12 guage weighs 8.5 pounds which reduces the recoil using 2 3/4 Lightfield slugs...my savage 220 is a lighter gun and has more recoil than the slughunter, i use Remington accutip slugs
          In the savage

Comment

I have a Rem 870 with a slug barrel/cantilever scope mount. I use this gun for Dove/Turkey so I am swapping barrels. Do you think swapping the barrels, I will have sight it in each time?....thats what I am thinking. I just got good deal on a NIB Nikon BDC scope. I just dont know how the 870 Slug barrel with scope mount will do as far as keeping it on sight. THats why I was leaning more towards the dedicated slug gun. Any thoughts on the 870? Sorry for getting off track here from my original post

Comment

I've killed lots of deer and hogs with my 212. Kicks like a mule. But that don't bother me.

Comment

I have the H&R ultra slug. Laminated thumbhole stock and a leupold 2x7 shotgun scope. This is a 20 ga , shooting hornady sst slugs. I shoot out to 200 yards all day, any day with this. Recoil is light enough my 12 yr old daughter shoots it fine and never once complained about it kicking

Comment

Sorry for the hijack, but since I have a few slug hunters in the same place....

If any of you 20 gauge slug hunters want to trade for some ammo, I have 15 Remington slugs left over from my slug hunting days. Sold my H&R USH years ago, so I have no use for these. They were the best shooting slug in my USH.

All the best,
                  Glenn

Comment

A 12 gauge in an H&R slug gun is, well, it's pretty stout. They did put a pretty good recoil pad on most of them so that helps. The savage to me had close to same recoil. So it's more if want a single shot or do you want one that hold something like three. We see the H&R's and New England slug guns for sale all the time. They were very popular because of their price/accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisk View Post
                      A 12 gauge in an H&R slug gun is, well, it's pretty stout. They did put a pretty good recoil pad on most of them so that helps. The savage to me had close to same recoil. So it's more if want a single shot or do you want one that hold something like three. We see the H&R's and New England slug guns for sale all the time. They were very popular because of their price/accuracy.
                      I sent you a PM

Comment

I have a Rem 870 with a slug barrel/cantilever scope mount. I use this gun for Dove/Turkey so I am swapping barrels. Do you think swapping the barrels, I will have sight it in each time?....thats what I am thinking. I just got good deal on a NIB Nikon BDC scope. I just dont know how the 870 Slug barrel with scope mount will do as far as keeping it on sight. THats why I was leaning more towards the dedicated slug gun. Any thoughts on the 870? Sorry for getting off track here from my original post
                        A friend of mine hunts with an 870 rifled barrel at Fort Hood and has killed deer with it using 12 guage 2 3/4 Lightfield slugs. He is accurate out to 100 yards with it, the key is to experiment with different brands of slug ammo. We mainly use our slug guns at Fort Hood but I also like using my savage 220 on pigs and deer on other places I hunt.

Comment

I would check accuracy when you swap barrels on the 870 , my friend that hunts with the 870 slug barrel never changes the barrel.

Comment

I have a Mossberg 500 with the Cantilever mount. Leopold Slug Scope on it. THat 24 inch rifled barrel will hold a pie plate at 200 yards, and clover leafs at 100 with hornady slugs.

OP, are you dead set on a single shot?

Comment

Originally posted by harv418 View Post
                              I have a Mossberg 500 with the Cantilever mount. Leopold Slug Scope on it. THat 24 inch rifled barrel will hold a pie plate at 200 yards, and clover leafs at 100 with hornady slugs.

OP, are you dead set on a single shot?
                              I am not dead set on anything except it being a 12 gauge. I am curious about using the 870 now. I am pretty much wide open at this point. I like the idea of a dedicated slug gun and I really liked the reviews I read on the Savage. Too many options....LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X