SBR Engraving Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SBR Engraving Question

Are you supposed to have the lower engraved before or after it gets approved?

I've had people tell me to do it both ways.

Thanks

My form 1 should be back anyday now. My lower will be engraved after approval. Didnt see any reason to permanently mark it before its approved.

Comment

I don't think it matters...Just have it done before you complete the build.

Comment

I did mine after approval, however, some like to do it before even sending their Form 1 to make sure the engraver does it correctly since the engraving can't be undone.

Comment

get it done before so you don't waste those days after its approved

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
            get it done before so you don't waste those days after its approved
            Been there, its a LOOOONNNNNG wait once you have your stamp...

Comment

I will always engrave mine before I submit paperwork. I've been burned multiple times by bad engravings, so I'm happy I went that route. Buying another lower definitely beats being stuck with a messed up engraving. Nothing worse than putting together a stack of high end parts and having to assemble them in a jacked up lower because the serial number was already submitted to ATF. Even the most highly recommended engravers make mistakes sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                Been there, its a LOOOONNNNNG wait once you have your stamp...

What makes it a long wait? Isn't it as simple as having a gun shop engrave it? Maybe a week turn around?

Or are you referring to a case where you wait for the form 1 to be approved and they botch the engraving job?

Comment

Originally posted by Main Frame View Post
                  What makes it a long wait? Isn't it as simple as having a gun shop engrave it? Maybe a week turn around?

Or are you referring to a case where you wait for the form 1 to be approved and they botch the engraving job?
                  Bro..... Everyone knows the day you get the form 1 back you immediately go to the range and go Full Operator with the new SBR

He's just saying the anticipation on having a approved form 1 but then having to engrave it and wait longer sucksssssss even if it's only a week or 2 long.
                  Some of us have no patience haha

Comment

Oh I'd love to shoot it right after I pick it up! I didn't know if there was something I was missing on the engraving.

I'll also have to fill out a Dot 20 to get it back to Georgia....

Comment

Or just buy a factory SBR [emoji1417]

Comment

From a legal standpoint, it does not matter. Before or after is fine. From a practical standpoint, since I've been doing gun trust, I have had several people have issues with Engraving. Based on those reported experiences, I would recommend that you engrave the receiver before you submit the form 1 and make sure that you're happy with the Engraving.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Form 1 was submitted in mid January. I expect the approval in the next few weeks. So given my circumstance, should I try to get it engraved before the approval or just wait until it gets approved?

Comment

Great question and great responses both ways.

If they jack up my engraving on one part, I'll just pick another spot and have them try and do it correctly there. It's not like I'm ever gonna sell it so the looks of a jacked up engraving don't really matter to me.

Comment

Doesn't matter. Just don't put the barrel on till the stamp comes back

I did mine after submittal and before approval

Comment

Working...
                              X