Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's AWESOME!!!

I've been wanting to get one for my rifle for a while now but didn't know enough about them.
    What brand/model do I need to buy and should I get Night Vision or Thermal?

Comment

ATI, the first question is.... Are you married? Hahahaha!

There's tons of info you need to know before you dive into NV or thermal... I read tons and tons of info on each before I jumped in and of course it's been a trial and error with both learning what works out best for me and how I hunt.

I like to spot and stalk and engage 50 yards or closer, but will drop lone boars out to 100 and further...

How do you want to hunt them? What type of rifle will you be mounting it on? NV of course is cheaper to get into and there are certain questions you need to answer before you buy... Same goes for thermal.

If you're serious about buying I can help ya with what you're looking for. I use 3rd Gen NV and thermal right now.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckTag View Post
        ATI, the first question is.... Are you married? Hahahaha!

There's tons of info you need to know before you dive into NV or thermal... I read tons and tons of info on each before I jumped in and of course it's been a trial and error with both learning what works out best for me and how I hunt.

I like to spot and stalk and engage 50 yards or closer, but will drop lone boars out to 100 and further...

How do you want to hunt them? What type of rifle will you be mounting it on? NV of course is cheaper to get into and there are certain questions you need to answer before you buy... Same goes for thermal.

If you're serious about buying I can help ya with what you're looking for. I use 3rd Gen NV and thermal right now.
        LOL,,, newly married so I keep forgetting sometimes

Actually you and I hunt similar, spot and stalk but I may sit where I know they cross and pop them at night too. The furthest shot would be about 100 yards or less. My rifle is a Savage .270
        So you have both a NV and Thermal or is there a model that has both features in one?

I'm looking for something that will allow me to hunt pigs at night. I don't hunt coyotes, coons or anything else during the night time. I want to be able to see them well enough to get a good shot.

Based on what I said and what I need it for Please tell me what brand and model to get and what price range I'm looking at. I was going to buy a fish finder but I may use the money to buy one of these instead.

Thanks!
        Last edited by ATI; 05-01-2014, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Jumping in here with a quick question.

How does the Sightmark Photon 3.5x digital scope compare to the 2nd or 3rd Gen NV?

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
            LOL,,, newly married so I keep forgetting sometimes

Actually you and I hunt similar, spot and stalk but I may sit where I know they cross and pop them at night too. The furthest shot would be about 100 yards and my rifle is a Savage .270
            So you have both a NV and Thermal right now? I'm truely jealous

I'm looking for something that will allow me to hunt pigs at night. I don't hunt coyotes, coons or anything else during the night time. I want to be able to see them well enough to get a good shot.

Based on what I said and what I need it for Please tell me what brand and model to get and what price range I'm looking at. I was going to buy a fish finder but I may use the money to buy one of these instead.

Thanks!
            Newly married? Well... I won't be the guy you say "But Bucktag said..."... Hahaha... My NV setup is a 3rd Gen monocular from NVision Optics and they can run from 2500 on up, depending if where you buy it. I mount the monocular behind a NV compatible Eotech and I use a 3x magnifier lens that I snap onto my monocular that allows me to take shots out past 100 easy. You can shop different brands for NV, but you need to make sure it has a ITT tube. My NV has held up nicely and I've had them since 2006. Of course I'm @nal with my gear so I take care of it... For NV you'll need to get a IR light for moonless nights and for better ID'ing your target, and you can get one off amazon.com that is the best one for the price.. (K2 ELR IR Light), just under $200...

If 3k is out of your reach right now for 3rd Gen, you can get away with 2nd Gen as long as it's a quality tube. You can get a monocular 2nd Gen for just over 2k. I've looked through some 2nd Gen tubes and they're decent, but once you've hunted with 3rd Gen, it'll ruin it if you have 2nd Gen...

Not sure what kind of setup you're looking for... Dedicated scope or monocular or a clip on infront of a daytime scope... I've tried all three and I just prefer the monocular route. I don't want to limit a rifle to only night hunting, it would just be a waste to me. Check through the main sites online and see if they have any deals going.

If you want to try them out first, buy them off of Sportsman Guide or Cabelas... They take back the gear no questions asked. Cabelas has a 30 day limit on returns and unlimited through Sportsman Guide. I've ordered through both just to try out different models and see for myself if they'd work for me. If I didn't like them, they went back... No money lost, and I made sure I liked what I was keeping... Win/Win for me!

Originally posted by Coach W View Post

How does the Sightmark Photon 3.5x digital scope compare to the 2nd or 3rd Gen NV?
            I haven't used any digital scopes so I can't comment on them. Sorry...

Comment

Well this thread has really sparked my interest, quick google search and I found this thread over at THF. Its a good read and a great comparison of the 3.5 to the 5, as well as some illuminators.

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/for...pics/5095760/1

Comment

Newly married? Well... I won't be the guy you say "But Bucktag said..."... Hahaha... My NV setup is a 3rd Gen monocular from NVision Optics and they can run from 2500 on up, depending if where you buy it. I mount the monocular behind a NV compatible Eotech and I use a 3x magnifier lens that I snap onto my monocular that allows me to take shots out past 100 easy. You can shop different brands for NV, but you need to make sure it has a ITT tube. My NV has held up nicely and I've had them since 2006. Of course I'm @nal with my gear so I take care of it... For NV you'll need to get a IR light for moonless nights and for better ID'ing your target, and you can get one off amazon.com that is the best one for the price.. (K2 ELR IR Light), just under $200...

If 3k is out of your reach right now for 3rd Gen, you can get away with 2nd Gen as long as it's a quality tube. You can get a monocular 2nd Gen for just over 2k. I've looked through some 2nd Gen tubes and they're decent, but once you've hunted with 3rd Gen, it'll ruin it if you have 2nd Gen...

Not sure what kind of setup you're looking for... Dedicated scope or monocular or a clip on infront of a daytime scope... I've tried all three and I just prefer the monocular route. I don't want to limit a rifle to only night hunting, it would just be a waste to me. Check through the main sites online and see if they have any deals going.

If you want to try them out first, buy them off of Sportsman Guide or Cabelas... They take back the gear no questions asked. Cabelas has a 30 day limit on returns and unlimited through Sportsman Guide. I've ordered through both just to try out different models and see for myself if they'd work for me. If I didn't like them, they went back... No money lost, and I made sure I liked what I was keeping... Win/Win for me!
                I'm saving this reply. Thank you sir!

Comment

Last edited by BuckTag; 05-01-2014, 10:12 AM.

Comment

ATI, here's a thread over at AR15 that you can look at the comparison on the different Generation of NV so you can get a better idea... I could go into more detail, but I gotta letcha do some of your own research .... If you have any questions just let me know.

AR15 NV Comparison
                    It's blocked from work, but I'll take a look from home.

Comment

ATI, here's a thread over at AR15 that you can look at the comparison on the different Generation of NV so you can get a better idea... I could go into more detail, but I gotta letcha do some of your own research .... If you have any questions just let me know.

AR15 NV Comparison

Comment

great work!

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post

Coudnt tell you off hand, but I will say that when you look through the Photon, its like looking at a low resolution black and white tv, instead of green. It does look that the NV is clearer from the photos. I do like how the photon self adjusts to the distances the reticile is focused on, so the illuminator doesnt bleed out any detail when moving from short range to say. 100 yards. At 100 yards on a moonless night, I can count the spots on the hog, see their ears twitch, etc. then, they die

Comment

Good advice to order from Cabelas. I bought an ATN Night Arrow Gen 2 last year........but it did not go back. Comes with the IR illuminator too, so nothing else to add ! On moonless nights , it's adequate to 125 yd. or so, but on three quarter to full moons, it's way beyond that . If you are hunting feeders or pipes, get a couple IR illuminators ( 12 volt ) that cost under $10 ea., point them where the pigs will be ,( run them with feeder batteries ), they light the area up like a parking lot when viewed through nite vision.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuy View Post
                              Coudnt tell you off hand, but I will say that when you look through the Photon, its like looking at a low resolution black and white tv, instead of green. It does look that the NV is clearer from the photos. I do like how the photon self adjusts to the distances the reticile is focused on, so the illuminator doesnt bleed out any detail when moving from short range to say. 100 yards. At 100 yards on a moonless night, I can count the spots on the hog, see their ears twitch, etc. then, they die
                              What is your set up in the pics? Doubler? Magnifier? Extra IR?

I've got a gen 1 NV scope I traded into years ago... It just sets in the gun room, never was that impressed with it... Hoping this photon will be an improvement on it... I don't want to move laterally.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                                I'm saving this reply. Thank you sir!
                                I was actually able to get a blemished pvs-14 for 2k from ident marking last September. I like the monocular route as well since you can use it to scan while bow hunting too. ITT tubes are nice but if you plan to use it on a rifle larger than 5.56 go with L3 tubes (up to .308).

Once you go Gen 3 you don't want any less but then you start wanting thermal.

Comment

Working...
                                X