Gus Engeling 10/31/2017 - 11/04/2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gus Engeling 10/31/2017 - 11/04/2017

Anyone else get drawn? Was going to bring the grill and some oryx meat, if there are gonna be any other mouths to feed.

Originally posted by Hank Hill View Post
    Anyone else get drawn? Was going to bring the grill and some oryx meat, if there are gonna be any other mouths to feed.
    My group of (4) will be going. Utilizing free hotel rooms courtesy of Holiday Inn reward points from one of the guys going, so we won't be cooking very much. Perhaps they may all agree to join, can't say for sure. I've never had Oryx.

Looking forward to the hunt! I've been packing and organizing gear, clothes, stand set ups, video cameras and game cameras this morning! Picked up a 2nd hand climber for $65 and works great, bringing (1) hang on and a couple of ladder stands.

What stand arrangements are y'all bringing?

Comment

Didn't get drawn this year. Hope y'all have a great hunt.

Comment

I'm bringing a climber, and possibly a ground blind just to stow away if I see the perfect spot.

I was told you can pre scout pretty easily with a mountain bike so I might bring one of them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank Hill View Post
          I'm bringing a climber, and possibly a ground blind just to stow away if I see the perfect spot.

I was told you can pre scout pretty easily with a mountain bike so I might bring one of them as well.
          I called to visit with the manager of the GEWMA. I asked him about the usefulness if a bike, he replied sandy soil would make it difficult to use. [emoji848]

I am planning on going there tomorrow to get a feel for the area and scout several units to help in my selection of 3 preferred units. I plan on splitting a few of us up and covering as much ground as possible in search of sign and hopefully see some deer. The weather looks like its going to br GREAT!

Has anyone had any experience in a specific unit to share?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm pretty sure my buddy will be there weekend before y'all for youth hunt. Will see if can get y'all any info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
              I'm pretty sure my buddy will be there weekend before y'all for youth hunt. Will see if can get y'all any info

You the man OleTomTalker!

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                You the man OleTomTalker!

He said he'll get me a report on that Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post

It will be slow, that place is struggling.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                    It will be slow, that place is struggling.
                    10-4. I'm curious to know why do you think it is struggling?

Comment

Deer density is down from what it used to be.

Comment

Deer density is down from what it used to be.
                        I hear it is a difficult hunt and that success rates are low. What do you believe contributes to low deer density?

Comment

Not really sure, could be predation, bordering private land pressure, hogs. Remember they include hogs in the success rate and last year they accounted for most of it, last year was pretty rough out there, not many deer brought in period, maybe this year will be better.

Comment

Not really sure, could be predation, bordering private land pressure, hogs. Remember they include hogs in the success rate and last year they accounted for most of it, last year was pretty rough out there, not many deer brought in period, maybe this year will be better.
                            Good insight. Thanks for sharing

Comment

A buddy and I scouted GE yesterday. We walked through a couple of compartments, then drove the rest of the WMA almost through all units. We saw tons of hogs and walked up on several groups. Not a lot of deer sign. We bumped one unknown deer. It looks like it can be a difficult hunt due to the impenetrable vegetation.

I was extremely impressed with the WMA staff and how much work the are doing and have already accomplished just to keep the place in a condition making it easier for hunters to access areas and hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X