Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 05-21-2018, 04:24 PM   #1
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs
Default Why use upgraded shotgun chokes

I'm contemplating buying some upgraded shotgun chokes for sporting clays. My basic question is: Why should I?

To my untrained eye i don't see much physical difference between my factory chokes and, say, a Briley choke of the same size. (Not demeaning Briley at all, just a name that comes to mind that i've held.) What are the tangible benefits of upgraded chokes? What do ported chokes do for you?

I've looked online and can't find answers... Probably too ignorant to know what to look for.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #2
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk Co., TX & La Flore Co., OK

For me, I have found that chokes like the Patternmaster and other aftermarket chokes allow me to do two things I was not able to do with just the standard chokes.

1. Miss more expensively
2. Talk online about what a great product it is without backing any of that up with actual skills
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2018, 04:45 PM   #3
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Have you patterned your current chokes and found them lacking? I'd only get one if I had crap patterns from my factory chokes.

Well actually, I'm cheap, so I'd still probably not get one. But if I were trying to be competitive at clays, I would.
sir shovelhands is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2018, 05:28 PM   #4
FVR JR
Four Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

Only real world advantage assuming both pattern well is changing without a wrench. IMO the fancy ported spiral super light chokes are a fad. Personally I think a good fixed choke patterns better than any of the screw ins. If your factory chokes pattern well then I see no reason not to use them.

Last edited by FVR JR; 05-21-2018 at 05:31 PM.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2018, 05:45 PM   #5
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Pattern your gun with the factory chokes at the distance you will shoot. If you get the pattern you want no need to waste money on after market chokes. I used to go buy chokes as soon as I got a new gun. Last 2 guns I have used factory modified and kill birds at any distance you should be shooting at. I have had guns that did pattern better with after market chokes. You need to spend time patterning to find out.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2018, 06:01 PM   #6
CastAndBlast
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Co.

Strictly pattern...
CastAndBlast is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2018, 06:49 PM   #7
RShockley
Six Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

Pattern your shotgun first and go from there. I have some that still use factory chokes while others I use patternmaster chokes. The only real difference I think between the chokes you will see is consistency between one choke to the next. If have shot multiples of the same factory chokes with wildly different patterns while the same test with higher end chokes preform more consistently from one to the other. But as stated before pattern your gun with the factory choke first. If you are getting good consistent patterns with a factory choke there is not much of a reason to change. Only other difference is that some chokes can offer a better shot string by stripping the wad. I have no real way of saying if this is truly better or not.
RShockley is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #8
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

They say the longer chokes can improve patterns but I don't really buy it...lengthening the forcing cones if you don't already have them will likely do more if your pattern currently sucks.

Like stated...to me, they are clearly worth the $$$$ for the simplicity of changing constrictions without a wrench & must have if you are going to do a lot of clays!!

I see no need for ported chokes as they just make the gun louder & more hurtful if you use the same gun for birds & have a dog. They are likely marketing it for reduced recoil but the ports need be on the bbl after the wad has passed them to work more efficiently. A shotgun with a muzzle break on the chokes really doesn't work as well as it does on a centerfire IMO.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2018, 07:20 PM   #9
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Thanks for the info. Will be shooting some paper to see what happens.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:00 PM   #10
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Depending on the brand they will pattern better. However your average sporting clays shooter will have a hard time justifying it when chokes are 70$ + shooting 3 or 4 times a year.

I attend a sporting clays shoot twice a month and the winners never have factory chokes.

Ported will help recoil a hair but in 1oz loads it's minimal. Some will also claim porting will foul a barrel quicker. They will also be louder
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2018, 08:20 PM   #11
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
They say the longer chokes can improve patterns but I don't really buy it...lengthening the forcing cones if you don't already have them will likely do more if your pattern currently sucks.

Like stated...to me, they are clearly worth the $$$$ for the simplicity of changing constrictions without a wrench & must have if you are going to do a lot of clays!!

I see no need for ported chokes as they just make the gun louder & more hurtful if you use the same gun for birds & have a dog. They are likely marketing it for reduced recoil but the ports need be on the bbl after the wad has passed them to work more efficiently. A shotgun with a muzzle break on the chokes really doesn't work as well as it does on a centerfire IMO.
+1 on the ported thing. I have a Mossberg 930 Rhythm that has about 1.5Ē of porting on the barrel. I typically keep them covered to comply with the rules of the 3 Gun divisions I normally shoot. When Iíve taken the high tech port block off (a couple layers of beer can, held down by a barrel clamp), the ONLY difference I can tell is an increase in noise.

Same goes for factory ported handguns.
TacticalCowboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2018, 08:22 PM   #12
Honker
Eight Point

Hunt In: where the wild things are

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
for me, i have found that chokes like the patternmaster and other aftermarket chokes allow me to do two things i was not able to do with just the standard chokes.

1. Miss more expensively
2. Talk online about what a great product it is without backing any of that up with actual skills

lmao!
Honker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #13
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

I like extended chokes for the ease of changing them. I don't notice any difference in performance, but I like not needing a wrench and I like being able to read what the choke is without looking into the barrel to count notches.
Shane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2018, 07:38 AM   #14
PNOAK
Four Point

Hunt In: Uvalde,,Giddings

I spent a bunch of money to have one made for turkey hunting for a Browning 10 gauge. It is ported and fancy looking-should be able to kill one at 100 yards-LOL..It is awful-the factory choke shoots way better.
PNOAK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #15
locknload
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton, Hamilton Counties

What shotgun are you considering to add the aftermarket chokes too?
locknload is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2018, 11:10 PM   #16
Capt.Bryan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

Check your pattern with a few different brands of ammo in 7.5, 8 and 9 shot. When I used to shoot Clay's I would practice with a full choke and shoot tournament with a light mod and just change my shot size depending on what the stage looked like. I liked the Briley non ported extended choke.

When I looked at getting a berreta tricked out they claimed lengthening the forcing cone was actually to help with recoil be reducing the constriction/pressure as the shot/wad left the chamber and enter the barrel. The ported chokes were supposed to strip the wad away from the shot. I never noticed them really being louder but I can't hear so well anyway.
Capt.Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2018, 03:15 AM   #17
Wil Taylor
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard

I buy aftermarket chokes just because they look better than factory. JK, I shoot Muller chokes just because they pattern extremely well. I shoot a lot of sporting clays and one clay could mean winning or loosing and I need every bit of help I can get. If I was just hunting birds a few times a year stay with factory tubes.

Last edited by Wil Taylor; 05-24-2018 at 03:23 AM.
Wil Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2018, 03:18 AM   #18
J-DUB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Batson, Sonora, Africa, North Dakota, Saskatchewan

i like aftermarket extended chokes for sporting clays as they are easy to change for the different stations/distances.
J-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #19
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by locknload View Post
What shotgun are you considering to add the aftermarket chokes too?
Fabarm AXIS RS12.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #20
locknload
Ten Point

The Fabarm AXIS RS12 should already come with extended chokes, why buy after market? Spend your $$$ on ammo.

Looking at the website, front page shows a beautiful sporting model Axis with extended chokes.
https://fabarmusa.com/axis-rs-12-sporting/

Extended chokes are very popular but not technically different performance wise than a flush mount choke.
1-Extended chokes as a rule give a more even pattern than the flush versions.
2-They are easier to change.
3-The name of the constriction is normally marked on the head.

If you bought the gun without any extended chokes, you could consider Brileys, Mullers,Carlson's.

Popular choke constrictions for Sporting Clays is Light Mod (LM) and Modified (Mod).
You can combine choke configurations: LM on bottom and Mod on top barrel or LM on both barrels or Mods on both barrels.

If you have the money do it. I hope this helps.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #21
locknload
Ten Point

PS: That Fabarm AXIS RS12 looks like a sweet shootin shotgun. Come on out this weekend at ElmFork and shoot it!
Old 05-26-2018, 05:18 PM   #22
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

I shoot at Elm Fork pretty regularly. I shot at Defender Outdoors this morning. SW Ft. Worth. Had a good time. I'm certainly not a great shooter. It's something i really enjoy, but am not good at. Good times.

That's the essence of my question. Is there any real reason to upgrade from the factory chokes to something else? I'm getting the drift that with good factory chokes, there doesn't seem to be a big reason to add to / or change. True?
Old 05-26-2018, 05:38 PM   #23
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

True. If you are hitting what you are shooting at. You are golden. Save your money and shoot more. I have shot hundreds of patterns and counted more holes in paper than carter had liver pills. The only time I really saw a difference with extended aftermarket chokrs was longer range with bigger shot.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #24
cajuntec
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Natalia TX

I didn't have the chokes I wanted, and when making a decision to buy "factory" chokes, or aftermarket chokes like Briley's, I opted to spend the small extra for the aftermarket. My reasons:

Briley gives a military discount - active or retired. After figuring that in, the Briley chokes just seemed like a much better bargain because...

My Briley's are all hand-removable without tools.

The Briley's are marked on the outside portion, allowing me to easily identify which chokes are installed without removing the choke or counting little grooves and trying to remember what 2 grooves or 3 grooves meant to various manufacturers.

I like the look. My Spectrum chokes are colored, making them even more identifiable from a distance. That has, however, played to kind of a disadvantage on the Sporting Clays range. I noticed a friend would change his chokes right after I changed mine. He was watching what I would change to, and follow suit. He didn't have to ask. The color code and laser engraved identification gave it away from a distance.

Break...

If I had factory chokes that worked as well as I wanted them to, I more than likely would not buy aftermarket chokes to replace them. BUT... If I don't have the choke constriction I want, or my factory chokes aren't providing the pattern I am looking for, when I spend the money I'll buy Briley. They have taken really good care of me on multiple shotguns so far - several Brownings and a Ruger Red Label. Very good customer service, and a great product.

All the best,
Glenn
cajuntec is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #25
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.

I'm stunned when I see a shooter with a $2,500 shotgun + $300-500 in chokes and he is shooting the cheapest you can buy store shells with the lowest grade powder and wads.

Some of what you centerfire handloaders know applies to shotshells too.

I learned this when I decided to work up a excellent turkey load for my shotgun. Dozens of combinations returned dozens of different results. Variables like barrel length, wad, powder, shot, and choke.

BTW, my turkey round turned out to be green dot, #5 nickel plated, out of a 24" barrel with a 1 1/2" extended full choke (25.5" total). At 20 yds the pattern is slightly larger than a softball, but I'm okay with that if I continue to knock them down out to 60yds.

Last edited by tigerscowboy; 05-27-2018 at 02:19 PM.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2018, 06:30 PM   #26
twostepct
Six Point

When I bought my 725 Sporting, the previous owner did not have all of the chokes. I bought Muller's and will probably not shoot anything else. I typically just use U2 in both barrels and have been very pleased with the breaks I get, even at distance.
twostepct is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2018, 10:22 PM   #27
Wil Taylor
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard

Quote:
Originally Posted by twostepct View Post
When I bought my 725 Sporting, the previous owner did not have all of the chokes. I bought Muller's and will probably not shoot anything else. I typically just use U2 in both barrels and have been very pleased with the breaks I get, even at distance.
Exactly, IMO you donít need anything else.
Wil Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2018, 01:46 PM   #28
berettadave
Ten Point

Hunt In: In vain

One thing about chokes, ask 20 people which is the best and expect 20 different answers. I've shot a bunch of different chokes and many work just as good as many others. Find one that works for you and that you have confidence in. My personal rule is just make sure it's tight enough to break anything I shoot at and then leave it alone. I only change on extremely close, unpredictable rabbit targets.
berettadave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top