6.8 spc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.8 spc

Anyone shooting a 6.8 for hogs? My son, Tyler build one on a ar platform. He is shooting Hornady vmax 110 and can’t remember the last hog that dropped. His GF shot a huge hog this weekend, quartering to and hit it at the base of the neck. Tyler said he dropped and had blood all over his chest. Then got up and hauled butt. This isn’t the first time, he has made good hits and lost the pig. This one is really disappointing because he had a great set of cutters on him. I wasn’t there and didn’t track it, but tyler said he couldn’t find any blood.

The V before max is probably a pretty good indicator of the problem.

Last edited by JeffK; 05-21-2018, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Switch to 120sst bullets. Love my 6.8, hit steel at 300 without any issue.

Comment

Tell him to use the 95 grain Barnes TTSX rounds.

Leave the varmint bullets for the varmints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I can tell that my 6.8 doesn't quite drop them like my 308 but that said, i haven't had any issues with the 6.8. Maybe just an additional follow up shot every now and then and that's night hunting with a thermal scope. With a day time scope, I'd feel pretty sure to drop one in its tracks with the 6.8, especially with a head shot. I am shooting the Hornady 120 SST and like them a lot.

Comment

There are definitely better bullets for the job. Like Mike said the 95 grain ttsx is a fine choice. All the pigs I’ve busted with it have dropped, with the exception of one and he ran maybe 15-20 yards

Comment

I believe that he chose that round because it was shooting awesome groups. But I guess a bigger group with a round that is going to put them down is better than one that isn’t. Thanks for the answers

Comment

Aside from full metal jackets he is probably using the worst 6.8 round possible for hogs. Its a varmit round.

Comment

The 115 grain federal fusions give me my tightest groups. Have also killed many critters with them. Also the 110 grain accubond from SSA is a solid choice.

Comment

I’d stay away from the V-Max bullets for hogs. Read good things about fusions and SST’s

Comment

Hornady also makes a 100 grain Full Boar round for the 6.8 as well that's specifically for pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                        Hornady also makes a 100 grain Full Boar round for the 6.8 as well that's specifically for pigs.
                        Funny you mention that. He went to Academy on his lunch hour and bought a box. Have you used them?

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post
                          The 115 grain federal fusions give me my tightest groups. Have also killed many critters with them. Also the 110 grain accubond from SSA is a solid choice.
                          115 gr. Fusions is what I use in both 6.8s. No trouble dropping hogs DRT if I do my part. Those few that run don't go far.

Comment

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
                            Funny you mention that. He went to Academy on his lunch hour and bought a box. Have you used them?
                            No, I have not personally used them bc i prefer the heavier 120gr SST bullets but i would not hesitate to give the Full Boar a try.

Comment

move the shot location,,, like in the ear or right at the back of the jaw in the middle..... k=being kind of an older geezer i have heard of many many base of the neck shots on all kinds of animals that did not work

Comment

Working...
                              X