Hornady SST bullets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hornady SST bullets

Anybody have a bad experience with these bullets? I'm shooting a 25-06 and bought the 117 gr SST. I shot a big black buck over the weekend and nocked him down at about 75 yards. When we walked up to him he was trashing his head trying to get up, I assume I hit alittle high. He calmed down and didn't move, as we walked up a little closer he got up and ran off before I we knew what happened. He left very little blood which make me think the bullet didn't exit... we never found him

Later that evening I shot a blackbuck doe at around 250 yards. I dropped her and she was still alive from a neck shot. I shot her again from about 30 yards and when skinning her, found that the bullet didn't exit

Earlier I was shooting milk jugs at 200 yards. I found a piece of one of the bullets in the jug. I guess I hit a rock in front of the jug and the bullet split, sending a piece of it into the jug.....

From my short experience from this brand of bullet... they are junk

I've had nothing but good luck with them..... Are you sure you got SST's and not the crapiforia compatible GMX(solid copper) I made that mistake and had issues with little to no expansion and no exits.... The SST's though have been nasty lil pills for me

Comment

I've had then blow up on impact from a closer range shot out of a high velocity cartridge (243). Entry wound looked like you shot a softball into the animal, but no exit. That said, the base of the bullet did hold together enough to penetrate into vitals and the animal (large merino ram) went down in about 15 yards, deader than a hammer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

I rarely get pass throughs with them. (I think only 1 on a small pig) but everything else is drt or within 15 yards

Comment

I only shoot SST out of my 270 I've had nothing but great luck with them. I just picked two more boxes up for Wyoming mule deer and antelope in two weeks!!!

Comment

Everything I have shot with them died within a few yards. I'm shooing 180 grain at like 2500 fps so not going super fast and blowing apart. Big entrances and huge exits. I have had 0 animals walk away from them.

Comment

.270 130 gr SST. Don't recall ever getting a pass through on deer, but never had to track one either. They seem to fragment in all directions upon entry, they do a lot of internal damage.

Comment

Shoot the same bullet out of my .257 ackley and it is deadly. I almost always get exits on game up to the size of mule deer. Does not matter if I shoot heart/lungs or neck they are DRT almost always and they never make it more
                Than 50 yards

Comment

Been shooting 130 gr sst out of a .270 for several years now. I like them and have had nothing but good luck with them shooting muleys, pigs, and whitetails.

Comment

I was starting to think they where a varmint round, I thought I really screwed up by using the wrong bullets. Hornadys website says they are ideal for whitetail and antelope size game, but I know I'm never buying them again. I'm glad you guys have had good luck with them

Comment

If they fragment and do not exit, like placing an arrow, the bullet is also about shot placement. Sounds like an excellent round for a lung shot.

Comment

123 grain SST out of my 6.5 Grendel has proven to be a winner for me...

Comment

The SST has proven to be one of the most accurate bullets in my rifles thus far.

I've used the SST in 243, 7mm mag, 308 and more recently my 260 ai almost exclusively.

I've used the SST bullet on lung shots, neck/head shots, and high shoulder shots and have never lost a deer.

Out of everything I've shot I think I've only got an exit on a coyote and one neck shot deer, everything else has been recovered just under the offside hide. The bullet does fragment and in almost every instance the jacket separates from the core (some would call this a bullet failure). There is usually a pencil sized entrance hole and a fist sized "exit" on the offside shoulder/ribs with the bullet lying just under the hide. The inside is always mush with shrapnel throughout the vitals.

The few deer I have had take more than 5 steps have left absolutely no blood trail, which could be a problem on marginal shots. Fortunately I haven't had a problem on recovery after the shot, and the ones that didn't drop on the spot may have gone 15-20yrds.

One bad thing about these bullets, if you hit the shoulder, pretty much one or both shoulders will be destroyed. The two deer I shot last year were neck shots, I didn't want to run the risk of ruining the meat.

Comment

Sorry for your lick....nothing but good things to say from me though. I have killed a pile of animals with them.

Comment

My dad shoots the 117 grain SST out of his 25-06 and has had great luck with them. He's probably killed 5 deer all going less than 20 yards and falling. The damage they cause is outrageous and he's had exits on every single one. I shoot the 150 grain SST's out of my .308 and have killed everything from axis to aoudad to fallow and blown massive holes in them. By massive, I mean I could stick my fist in the exit and never touch anything lol. All of the animals I've killed with it (30+) have died within 30 yards. Sounds to me like shot placement may be a factor you you and not so much the bullet.

Comment

Working...
                              X