DIY - duck calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY - duck calls

Anyone have a how to on duck calls? Tools needed, where to buy them, what supplies?

I'm interested in picking up another hobby and want to see if I would be interested in making calls.

I would think that a decent wood lathe would be at the top of tools needed, but I do not make them so?

Comment

Ttt

Comment

I never did it, but bought this book several years ago. Under $20 on amazon.com.

Comment

THO Game Call Forums

Comment

Low end I would buy a harbor freight lathe, it's a pretty good starting setup. I'll shoot you a small of what you'll need.

Comment

Is the 8x12 1/3hp benchtop lathe from HF a good beginner lathe?

Comment

Originally posted by ktex View Post
                Is the 8x12 1/3hp benchtop lathe from HF a good beginner lathe?
                Yeah I'd say so, I would buy the warranty with it too just in case.

Comment

Bump. Thank you, Eagle19

Comment

It depends on how much you want to spend. A basic lathe with chisels will set you back a couple of hundred plus. A nice set up will set you back about $700 You will also need a sharpening system, that can be as cheap as a few wet stones, or as elaborate as a nice CBN wheel on a Baldor grinder, $10 or about $700. Saws, you can cut the toneboard with a coping saw, for about $6 or you can use a $1000 bandsaw and a $200 miter saw.

Mandrels will set you back about $40 a piece, only need one, but you will need a chuck to hold it, a collet chuck is $90. You can use a drill press or your lathe to drill the required holes, on the lathe your cost just went up about $200 a drill press is about the same, and you will eventually need one. A store bought toneboard jig will set you back $80, but you can make a wood toneboard jig fro less than a dollar.

Supplies, sandpaper, the good stuff costs more but last longer and does a better job, allocate about $30 for the basic sandpaper. Best bet is Klingspor Woodworking for sand paper. Finish, my advice is to start cheap a small can of Watco Teak Oil, and study an article by Frank Whiton called "Classic Gunstock Finish". Mylar, to start go to a fabric store like Jo Ann's and buy a sheet of .010 Mylar for about $5. Cork, if you get this far, buy it from Hut Products out of Missouri.

If you know how to use a woodlathe to it's fullest capabilities, you can buy a cheap used lathe for around a hundred, might even get some chisels thrown in. You can use it for you sharpening your chisels, you do not need chucks if you know how to make and use jam chucks. Drilling can be done with a hand drill, but I don't recommend it. Or in other words, for less than $200 you can make duck calls.

Comment

you tube is your friend

Comment

Working...
                      X