Corn/Soybean Mix Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corn/Soybean Mix Questions

I am running 2 spin feeders on 40 acres and looking for something else to do besides just feeding corn year round which is what I am currently doing. I do not have equipment to put in food plots.
    1. Does corn/soybean mix have any antler growth or body size nutritional value for deer?
    2. Would corn/soybean mix be the same as feeding protein?
    3. What time of year should a corn/soybeans mix be fed?
    Thanks for any advice.

1. Yes, normal protein content is around 16% with those type mixes. The manufacturer down the street from me sells a 22% version as well.

2. I don't know.

3. We feed it all year. When they're not growing antlers, they're trying to maintain healthy body weight.

Comment

Yes, soybeans are high in protein. I feed a corn soybean mix in the spring and summer during horn growth and then switch back to corn only in late summer. Others feed it year round and it does have a year round benefit. I'm just too cheap to feed it year round.

Comment

I put out 150 pounds of 16% pellets every 2 weeks year round and feed cottonseed jan-aug on 40 ac. all free choice and some combination of 3 timed corn feeders depending on time of year and what I'm hunting.

Comment

Can you expand on the brand of the mix or is it a feed store thing ? Protein is a game plan for this coming year so I am trying to learn as much as i can would love something that I can use in my current ASA feeder

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
            Can you expand on the brand of the mix or is it a feed store thing ? Protein is a game plan for this coming year so I am trying to learn as much as i can would love something that I can use in my current ASA feeder
            You're asking, what is the name brand?

So, the major two manufacturers for Texas are Buck Ration and Mr. Buck. Buck Ration is cheaper because they supply Mr. Buck with their Soybeans to create the mix. However, Buck Ration services a lot of N. Texas and Mr. Buck is generally found in central/South Texas.

If you'd like to purchase direct from the manufacturer, they are located in Mckinney, super nice folks. Mckinney Grain is the name of the location. They always have plenty on hand for sale. I was just in there yesterday.
            Last edited by SB09; 11-29-2018, 09:36 AM.

Comment

It’s also sold by Bryants, Martindale Feed Mill (MFM) and several others. Just call around to your local feed stores and ask

Comment

Does it feed through an All Seasons Feeder? Very interesting in this topic. Thank you for starting this topic. How do you think it will do in east texas?

Comment

Originally posted by coach2 View Post
                  Does it feed through an All Seasons Feeder? Very interesting in this topic. Thank you for starting this topic. How do you think it will do in east texas?
                  yes it absolutely throws through an all seasons. for those of us closer to the coast (Houston area) you can pick it up at Waller Rice Drier

Waller Rice Drier! We sale Roasted Soybeans and Recleaned Corn!

Their roasted deer blend is 16% protein, 6.5% fat, 4% fiber and costs about $9.50 per 50 pound bag. You can also get 18%, 20%, & 22% on request and the price goes up accordingly of course. I believe the 22% tops out at about $12 a bag.

It is awesome, the deer love it, smells really good because of the roasted soybeans and that helps as an attractant I believe.

I feed it through my all seasons year round and then mix just the plain soybeans( which is 35% protein, 17% fat, & 5% fiber :guaranteed analysis) in the protein feeders with a 5/32 creep pellet which gives the micro and macro nutrients that the soybeans lack

Comment

Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
                    yes it absolutely throws through an all seasons. for those of us closer to the coast (Houston area) you can pick it up at Waller Rice Drier

Waller Rice Drier! We sale Roasted Soybeans and Recleaned Corn!

Their roasted deer blend is 16% protein, 6.5% fat, 4% fiber and costs about $9.50 per 50 pound bag. You can also get 18%, 20%, & 22% on request and the price goes up accordingly of course. I believe the 22% tops out at about $12 a bag.

It is awesome, the deer love it, smells really good because of the roasted soybeans and that helps as an attractant I believe.

I feed it through my all seasons year round and then mix just the plain soybeans( which is 35% protein, 17% fat, & 5% fiber :guaranteed analysis) in the protein feeders with a 5/32 creep pellet which gives the micro and macro nutrients that the soybeans lack
                    Awesome thank you for the response. I just talked to the feed store in town and I'm going to get a few bags when the feeder runs out.

Comment

So y'all are broadcasting soybeans or feeding free choice?

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
                        You're asking, what is the name brand?

So, the major two manufacturers for Texas are Buck Ration and Mr. Buck. Buck Ration is cheaper because they supply Mr. Buck with their Soybeans to create the mix. However, Buck Ration services a lot of N. Texas and Mr. Buck is generally found in central/South Texas.

If you'd like to purchase direct from the manufacturer, they are located in Mckinney, super nice folks. Mckinney Grain is the name of the location. They always have plenty on hand for sale. I was just in there yesterday.
                        Sorry yes the brand . I am located NFW So you only use this or do you mix that with regular corn as well .

Like 2 bags of corn to one bag of mix .

What is the cost on the bag and weight .

Great topic as this is something that we want to do and not having to buy another feeder is saving money as well .

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                          I run the roasted soybean/corn mix through my broadcast feeder. I run the soybean/creep pellet through the gravity fed free choice protein feeder

Comment

I feed that mix year round. When deer stop hitting protein they will continue on the soybeans. I got away from protein for that reason. I place mine in gravity feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                              Broadcast feeding it. I suppose it would work free choice just as well.

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                              Sorry yes the brand . I am located NFW So you only use this or do you mix that with regular corn as well .

Like 2 bags of corn to one bag of mix .

What is the cost on the bag and weight .

Great topic as this is something that we want to do and not having to buy another feeder is saving money as well .
                              Yesterday I paid $9.60 per 50# bag at Mckinney Grain. It will cost more at a third party vendor I imagine.

I feel like the 16% is mixed pretty well corn:soybean ratio wise as is so that's all we use. But, mixing at whatever rate you feel is sufficient would be a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X