X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
    To answer your questions:

1- Yes they are required on new builds.
    2- The latest code cycle requires AFCI basically everywhere but your garage, bathrooms, and outdoor circuits.

Depending on where you live, the authority having jurisdiction may still be using an older code cycle. This could change the requirements a little.
    Which require GFCI ... which are almost as bad.

Comment

They are also required in the 2014, 2011, and 2008 NEC may even befor that

When the state adopts the code it trumps local municipalities ordinances if they adopted an older code. Municipal (and trec) inspectors should be inspecting based on what is the newest code adopted either state or city.

The state is still on like the 2006 IBC so local municipalities can adopt any code cycle newer than that for the IBC (basically can be more strict not less)

That's why when the state adopted the 2015 IECC (Energy Code) everyone now has to do blower door tests and all the other dump stuff it requires regardless of what your city has adopted.

kronik by Diamond

Comment

Wifes hairdryer tripped one almost every morning until we changed it to a normal breaker.

Comment

Inspector told us we passed because we had them when we bought the house. Then said to swap them out and save them until we sell. I haven't yet, hasn't been an issue for us yet.
          Last edited by TexasBob; 04-17-2018, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrfan View Post
            They can be a pain in the butt like smoke alarms until you need them to save your house or your life. Then they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
            lol like that's ever happened

Comment

Originally posted by TEX_hunt_AS View Post
              Wifes hairdryer tripped one almost every morning until we changed it to a normal breaker.
              Then the breaker did its job. Was the Mrs. plugging in the hair dryer with it on?
              That would cause an Arc at the device and the breaker did its job.
              I totally agree about the arc faults being a PITA. But if you stay in the scope of the breakers operation...they work fine.
              GFCIs work good. Again, Only if you have a wiring problem( shared neutrals on gfci ckts ect) or turning stuff on, with it on, problem...These devices work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                Then the breaker did its job. Was the Mrs. plugging in the hair dryer with it on?
                That would cause an Arc at the device and the breaker did its job.
                I totally agree about the arc faults being a PITA. But if you stay in the scope of the breakers operation...they work fine.
                GFCIs work good. Again, Only if you have a wiring problem( shared neutrals on gfci ckts ect) or turning stuff on, with it on, problem...These devices work fine.
                First question I asked as well and she wasn't. I think the problem was the number of fixtures on that circuit (Plug, Lights, Vent Fan, Etc.) A GFCI is more convenient to reset, so that is the route we went.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                  I hope whoever mandated them is one day put on a respirator... that’s plugged into one. I despise them

I’m still laughing at this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X