Selling a vehicle out of state ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a guy that wants to buy a vehicle from me that lives in Wisconsin. Not sure if I'll deliver it or if a shipping company will. How does one go about doing this where both parties are safe from being ripped off?
    Does the buyer wire money or bank draft or how does that go?

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
    I have a guy that wants to buy a vehicle from me that lives in Wisconsin. Not sure if I'll deliver it or if a shipping company will. How does one go about doing this where both parties are safe from being ripped off?

Does the buyer wire money or bank draft or how does that go?

First thing that needs to happen is he needs to take you on a deer hunt for delivering the truck!

I sold a truck to Mitch(Mr. whiskers) out of state and he made it super easy for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Black Ice; 01-02-2018, 10:57 PM.

Comment

i sold a car years ago to a buyer in ohio. he wired the money to a bank account i set up specifically for the deal. i shipped him the car (drove to a shipping agency) for about $400 they got the car to him, with the pieces they broke off placed in the trunk.

make sure to get insurance for shipping if you go that route.

Comment

Do you personally know the guy?

Generally when I hear about money wire and shipping company it screams scam.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
          Do you personally know the guy?

Generally when I hear about money wire and shipping company it screams scam.
          I do not. Neither of us have any idea how to do this. He mentioned putting $500 in my Paypal for a deposit for me to drive it there & we'd meet @ his bank for the remaining funds in cash. He'd pay for my travel expenses there & my flight home. I have an odd vehicle that the only ones up north are rusted to total junk. I think it'd be much easier for me to just ship it, & I'm sure he'd pay most of the shipping cost, but IDK how to safely do the money/title exchange.

Comment

Burden is on the buyer. He flies down here pays you and drives vehicle back

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
              I do not. Neither of us have any idea how to do this. He mentioned putting $500 in my Paypal for a deposit for me to drive it there & we'd meet @ his bank for the remaining funds in cash. He'd pay for my travel expenses there & my flight home. I have an odd vehicle that the only ones up north are rusted to total junk. I think it'd be much easier for me to just ship it, & I'm sure he'd pay most of the shipping cost, but IDK how to safely do the money/title exchange.
              Have him send you a cashiers check. Send vehicle using shipping service once cash has cleared. Have him set up the shipping and pay for it and once it is set up they either come and pick it up or you send drop it off at the shipper. My dad bought an absolutely gorgeous 85 Bronco from Oregon this way about 8 years ago. It was shipped to Albuquerque NM and then we drove up and drove it home from there.

Comment

He would wire the money to your bank from his bank. Check with your bank to see what their policy is to verify funds. Once funds have been wired and cleared he can have shipping company pick up vehicle. Have him make arrangements for shipping company.

Comment

If he has the funds to cover your travel costs, why does he not fly down here to inspect the vehicle then he can drive it home? Prior to heading south, get his bank to draft a cashiers check in your name. That way if he isn't happy with the vehicle he can jump a plane home and return the check to his bank. If he isThis is how I did it when I bought my Jeep from a guy in Albuquerque.

Comment

Let's play this out. You agree on a price, he sends you $500 and you drive up there to complete the deal. You get there and he decides it's not so clean and he wants to offer 1/3 less than the agreed upon price... yeah, no way I would do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                      If he has the funds to cover your travel costs, why does he not fly down here to inspect the vehicle then he can drive it home?
                      He can't get off work for long enough for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
                        Let's play this out. You agree on a price, he sends you $500 and you drive up there to complete the deal. You get there and he decides it's not so clean and he wants to offer 1/3 less than the agreed upon price... yeah, no way I would do that.
                        Yeah, I kind of agree. I'd be FUMING PO'd if that happened &, w/my luck, it would!

Comment

I've done it w dirt bikes...you just have to trust the buyer, and the same for the seller. Just work together to get the transactions done and the necessary paper work signed and done.

Comment

Where was the vehicle listed? Sounds like a scam to me.

Comment

Run Forest Run!

Comment

Working...
                              X