Alabama Creek WMA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alabama Creek WMA?

Howdy....I hunt primarily at LBJ but was wondering if anyone has ever hunted or can steer me to an area of Alabama Creek WMA for the end of season muzzleloader doe/spike hunt. I've been there once and see that it's primarily tall pine forest which to me is like hunting on Mars: Totally different from what I"m used to!
    Any tips, tricks, areas, ideas would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks. Pat

I've tried to get any info on davey crockett several times to no avail.

Comment

Typical pineywoods hunting.You're not hunting deer,you're hunting a "type" of woods(to hunt deer). Make sense? Try to find an area with mature oaks mixed in with a few pine trees and lots bushy undergrowth(even though all the leaves are gone).Use a climber to get up about 15 feet,have your ML zeroed in to take long shots and you should do pretty good.Probably be a lot of other hunters in the woods but that should keep the deer moving.

Comment

Walk in as far as you can at about 4 am. climb about 12-18 ft up a tree and stay all day long. There are people walking around all day long so maybe someone will push something on you. I hunted there for 2 years rifle and muzzleloader seasons and never took a deer. Not that I didnt see any but not many. I kept trying different tactics but nothing really worked. The best bet is to go get a deer lease where there are lots of deer, and that is not in east texas. I now hunt on a private lease in west texas and have the joy of seeing about 20 deer every time out.

Comment

alabama has great reputation for big bucks

i have hunted alabamba several times and have seen some really good quality deer-saw 5 really nice bucks on opening day last year that were killed 168 being the best. scout it really good and you will find a good buck. this weekend i went bowhunting and saw 4 bucks and 8 doe and 2 hogs while scouting out a new spot--my cam caught two nice b ucks in the areaim hunting one will score at least a 150 and the other is good but still young. i recommend it to anyone--anyone wanting to talk deer email me wes122984@aol.com

Comment

i would love to see a picture of a 150" deer from alabama creek. as a matter of fact i would love to see a pic of a 100" deer from alabama creek.

Comment

Hey bigpigsticker haven't seen you post in awhile, how'd the place in lometa work out?

Comment

Hard hunting this year. Although I did take a 151" deer in Kansas.

Comment

Hard hunting this year. Although I did take a 151" deer in Kansas.
                  Really, did anyone get anything down there, heard shane left the place, he always shot a good one there. From what I'm hearing huntings been tough in that area the last few years.

Comment

nothing very special, i shot a broke up 17" 9 point. there was a decent 10 point shot. just didnt see many deer. i passed up on a nice 8 point thanksgiving weekend due to rain (screwd up) nothing nice since.

Comment

Interesting, I'm convinced there had to be some kind of die off from EHD (blue tongue) because the first year I was out there I was seeing 12 deer a sitting, the following year 2005 the drought hit the place hard and I was lucky to see more than two a weekend, game cameras confirmed this. Never seen a swing in deer population like that before.
                      Last edited by DFWarcher; 01-23-2008, 07:44 PM.

Comment

i think that the cedar clearing had a lot to do with it. the places around us are still thick with cover and we are now wide open. i am changing to a place in brownwood for next year and probably hunt kansas twice. once for early muzzleloader in sept. then back again in riffle season in december.

Comment

i think that the cedar clearing had a lot to do with it.
                          Those cedars never really held deer (they always stay in the creek bottoms) but they give them cover to travel early morning and evening. A few of us tried to convince Fox not to clear too much as it would hurt the hunters. They started cutting down cedars after the 2005 season so I didn't stick around to see how much it would affect the hunting, like I said 2005 was still tough before they cleared. I don't know where your spot was but I was over by the windmill. Brownwood will definately be an upgrade but I bet it will cost more. I have some coworkers who have a place they manage out there (brownwood) and say they can shoot a doe or small buck every time they hunt if they wanted to.
                          Last edited by DFWarcher; 01-24-2008, 07:49 PM.

Comment

cost is less, lometa went to 1500 this past year, i have been hunting the place in brownwood the past 6 years with friend as a guest, i could only hunt does and spikes. the place also has aoudad and catalina. it is twice the size with less hunters and 300 cheaper. i saw a nice aoudad during spring turkey season there last year but could not get my gun on him quick enough. It is a very thick nasty place on the colorado river with some very nice bucks coming off of the place. also i forgot to tell you that i hunted shaynes spot this year and last year i hunted the goat patch in teddy roos spot.

Comment

I paid $900 the two years I was there and I think that was a price increase from the previous years, though yall might have had fewer hunters since they cleared the place, we had 8. Sounds like a good deal on the brownwood place. Shaynes spot was by far the best spot on the place. I don't think teds spot was on foxes property, never did get a clear answer whose property that was, some sort of easment. I wonder if the same guys are still out there I know a couple of the guys from west were talking about getting off the same year I did.

Comment

Working...
                              X