Greenworks 40V pole saw review.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greenworks 40V pole saw review.......

After asking many questions and reading other posts, I broke down and bought one of the 40V Lithium battery powered pole saws from GreenWorks in June thanks to several recommendations on TBH. I knew I had a huge undertaking at my lease cleaning up two 70 yard viewing senderos and deer trails near my favorite feedpen that had started to close in as well as clearing the walk path around the same 35x65 yard feedpen. I also needed to knock down a pile of cedars at my other bow stand in what I call my 50 acre rut field so my view was better. Add in cutting limbs on trees hitting vehicles driving on the roads and it was going to be a three day chore for a fatboy solo.. My theory was I was tired of draggin' around a heavy chainsaw and a manual pole saw to reach the higher stuff...plus leaning into heavy brush and cedar with a chainsaw for a couple of hours is rough on the old back . I also considered being bent over reaching into brush closer to the snakes out there by myself. We have killed 7 rattlesnakes so far this year so in my mind it was a good buy on that reason alone...

Due to several delays due to work or rain, I finally got up in mid July and jumped off in it. I was concerned about the battery not lasting for the morning knowing I had a lot of work to do and considered buying a second battery. At $70/pop I decided to take my chances with a solo. I figured I'd work all morning, go back to the cabin in the heat of the day, put it on charge, work around camp on projects and then go back out in the evening and get back at it. I did that for two days and the battery lasted like a champ charging in between. This thing is 5' long and 9' with the extension so it made for some easy reaching and cutting. I took out the extension and it was all I really needed. Great balance and it's lighter than my Stihl chainsaw. All I needed was a small bottle of bar and chain oil, a file and a screw driver to tighten the chain occasionally. I parked my truck at the pen and headed out. I was thoroughly impressed with how well it performed and the length of time I got out of it. It made easy work out of all the cedar, mesquite, oak limbs and brush. Plus no fuel, no, pulling on a cord, no stubborn starts, just grab and pull the trigger. That thing is a cutting dude and I felt like a tree trimming samurai. I highly recommend it if you have a clearing project or even around your house limbing out trees. They put them on sale all the time so keep an eye out. I bought mine for less...and the case is a nice add for those with rocky/bump deer leases so it doesn't get beat to hell..

https://www.amazon.com/Greenworks-Co...%2C170&sr=8-17

Click image for larger version

Name:	00Seismic view7.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	25182937

Name:	00Seismic view8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	25182929

Name:	zzSeismic view6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	25182938
    Last edited by Smart; 07-22-2019, 10:20 AM.

I second this. I have one as well and have been very pleased. Planning on buying the hedge trimmer to go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigt6450 View Post
      I second this. I have one as well and have been very pleased. Planning on buying the hedge trimmer to go with it.

I think I'm going to add that as well.. I don't have much to edge but a fella always needs to add a cool tool to the arsenal.....and I have the expensive part of it already..

Comment

Hey Jason, it's hard to tell from that link but is it the same battery as the one that comes with this blower? https://www.amazon.com/Greenworks-Va...-1-spons&psc=1

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
          Hey Jason, it's hard to tell from that link but is it the same battery as the one that comes with this blower? https://www.amazon.com/Greenworks-Va...-1-spons&psc=1

Yes.... Gmax is the new battery that is universal to their 40V. They do come in different MAH sizes though. That pole saw without the battery is like $85 delivered IIRC..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            Yes.... Gmax is the new battery that is universal. That pole saw without the battery is like $85 delivered IIRC..
            PM your address, I've had that blower for a few years now and it pooped out on me but best I can tell the battery still holds a charge. I switched to an Echo blower so don't need the battery or charger anymore. I'll send them your way if you want them.

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
              PM your address, I've had that blower for a few years now and it pooped out on me but best I can tell the battery still holds a charge. I switched to an Echo blower so don't need the battery or charger anymore. I'll send them your way if you want them.

Yes sir....I'll PM you......
              Last edited by Smart; 07-22-2019, 10:39 AM.

Comment

I have the 80V blower and weedeater so it looks like I need to add one to my garage, thanks for the review.

Comment

I have a Greenworks corded pole saw that is a workhorse but with limitations of the cord and the pole has bent. Still use the saw by itself. Got one of their string trimmers, an 80 volt model and it is a very strong trimmer but am disappointed with battery life. I barely get 30 min. on a charge then it takes about 3 hrs to charge back up. But it will cut some heavy stuff! Glad I got the parts in, finally, for my 17 yr old J.D. string trimmer though.

Comment

I've been thinking about getting this, but in the 40 volt chain saw, for chunking up cooking wood, around camp. Tired of using the Sawzall all the time. May need to go ahead and pull the trigger on it.

Comment

I own the same and agree with Jason's recommendation. These are great deer lease and around the house tools. The battery life is crazy good.

Rwc

Comment

Not this brand at all, but I will put in a plug for a battery-powered chainsaw on a stick.
                        I have been very averse to battery powered or electric powered yard tools. I've always felt they were underpowered and not the best for real work.
                        Then a couple of Christmases ago, my dad gave me a battery powered Ryobi (I don't like Ryobi anything, in general) chainsaw on a stick. And I have loved it.
                        In the past, I would put off smaller tree trimming jobs because of the issues with a chainsaw (gas mix, starting it up (sometimes longer than others), sharpening the chain, etc. But, with this tool, I just grab it and pull the trigger and trim a branch or two hanging over the house. Boom. Done.
                        I still wouldn't buy a Ryobi if I were shopping for a tool. But, it was a gift and is doing the job. I did buy a second battery (just $30 or so for this one) so I could always have one ready.
                        I think the tool I have is around $70 or $80.

Comment

My wife has the Yellow one...(not sure of make) but I used it this weekend too. Works like a charm. Easy to carry around and just trim random branches. I will use it to set up a few stands next weekend.

Comment

I have both the pole saw and the 16” chain saw. They use the same battery so that’s pretty handy. I’ve been very pleased with both of them, (and surprised at what they will cut). My son was so impressed that he bought both also.

Comment

Did you wear your big hat[emoji23]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X