Success at 3 Fingers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Success at 3 Fingers

Met up with some TBH'ers this weekend at 3 fingers. Had a blast. Didn't have a specific species picked out when I got there, but knew it would probably be a fallow or Sika. First sit had Fallow come in, but nothing I was wanting to take....until just before dark. Saw one I would like to have shot, but he was being bullied by a smaller racked buck and kind of stayed out in the distance a little, then walked off. Wasn't worried, it was my first sit. Then, on the way back in we saw the Sika. Well, that made me glad I didn't shoot the fallow because now I wanted one of the Sika. So, I sat in a different blind in the morning and no Sika, but a ton of rams and fallow (no, not the one from the previous night). So, the evening hunt comes and not 5 minutes after they drop me off I'm covered in animals. I mean, covered. There were probably 15 rams, 4 fallow, a few whitetail, heck even a donkey and a horse. But then who shows up? One of the Sika. It was crazy because I had to wait a while. With so many animals I had to wait until I had a shooting lane. Well, finally (all of about 5 minutes later )I get my shot. Take it and drilled him. Passthrough and off he runs. However, he didn't go down. Surprised the heck out of me, but he made it back in the woods and disappeared. We looked and couldn't find any blood. Checked the video and the shot was great. Couldn't figure it out, but decided it would be best to look again in the morning when we had plenty of light. Never did find a blood trail, but did find the animal. Not even a pool of blood where we found him. It was strange, but nonetheless, we found him. He is going to make a great mount. You can see in the picture the entrance wound right behind the shoulder. Anyways, it was a great hunt and a great weekend. Ben and Ryan took care of me again (like they always have) and got to meet two more TBH'ers "TravisMears.net" and "Bu2herndog". Great guys. I saw plenty of animals out there and will be making a return trip again. Just glad I finally got my Sika. Been wanting one for a couple years now.
    Attached Files

great read and congrats!

Comment

Good deal. How were the hogs moving?

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        I saw some, but wasn't really hunting them. I never tried the stand that I had good luck with the hogs at last time. But, I saw them running through the fields and had some after shooting light faded come in once and two with 3 little ones came in the first morning. The two bigger ones (only about 50 lbs) didn't stay, but the little piggies made their home under the feeder. Wind was tough though. I just wasn't focused on them at all.

Comment

That sika is going to make a beautiful mount. It is funny how pictures completely take away from some things because you really can't even see how truly reddish-orange his coat is in the pic. Can't believe we walked virtually right passed him the night before, but atleast we were able to eventually make the recovery.

Had a great time and it was nice to meet you, Ryan. We need to make it happen again when it's cooler!

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            I saw a couple different groups, but didn't have any true opportunities (on my part I slept in both morning hunts, haha). Travis was hunting another stand and had them appear each time, but for a short amount of time. The wind was wrong for the stand he was hunting so they bolted.

Overall I saw quite a few hogs, but they just weren't cooperating when I was in the stand.

Comment

that is a beautiful sika buck and nice shot

Comment

Way to go !!! Great job on the sika - c

Comment

Nice trophy congrats

Comment

Good Job. looks like you had a good shot not too have a blood trail glad you recovered him it shows just how much tuffer those exotics are compared to a whitetail.

Comment

Great looking sika. Glad you could get a good one. I'm headed down tomorrow and can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by TravisElmore View Post
                        Great looking sika. Glad you could get a good one. I'm headed down tomorrow and can't wait.
                        Yep. He wasn't as big as the one you stuck last year, but he sure is good looking. Slightly different breed. He has some of the same breed you shot, just not as big as that monster you got last year. Good luck with the Ibex. Cool looking animals. I'll be waiting for some LDPs and of course your videos. Good luck

Comment

That's a good looking animal Ryan, congratulations

Comment

Nice Sika Ryan. It will be a cool mount. I do have to ask, How did you put up with the HernDog for two days? Haha JK. Sorry I couldn't make it. Hopefully around March though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
                              That's a good looking animal Ryan, congratulations
                              Thanks Ron. Its a beautiful animal. I love that the velvet is so dark. Can't wait to get him on the wall.

Comment

Working...
                              X