373 grains v 393 grains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

373 grains v 393 grains

So I was at the local bow shop tinkering with my bow and decided to change my point weight from 100 grains to 125. At 373 grains of total arrow weight my bow is shooting at 313 fps and with a 398 grain arrow it is shooting at 305. My KE at 373 grains is about 81 lbs and at 398 it is just over 82. FOC with the 373 grain arrow is around 10.8% and with the 398 grain arrow it is just over 13%. Curious which of the arrows you guys would shoot?

The heavier ones......my arrows weight in at 455-460 grains flung at 272-276 fps

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaHFD View Post
      The heavier ones......my arrows weight in at 455-460 grains flung at 272-276 fps
      X2. I shoot the same weight around the same speed. Never had a problem killing anything.

Comment

It's up to you. Doesn't really seem like you gain a whole switching to 125 gr. heads.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
          It's up to you. Doesn't really seem like you gain a whole switching to 125 gr. heads.
          Agree with this as well. That little bit of KE isn't going to be worth it if you have to mess with too much stuff. If the changes are easy and minimal, I'd go with the heavier set up.

Comment

The heavier one. KE don't mean SQUAT. The added FOC will help in forgiveness, accuracy and the slightly heavier arrow will help in penetration. Your momentum is what determines the ability of the arrow to penetrate. Momentum for bowhunting, KE for rifle hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
              The heavier one. KE don't mean SQUAT. The added FOC will help in forgiveness, accuracy and the slightly heavier arrow will help in penetration. Your momentum is what determines the ability of the arrow to penetrate. Momentum for bowhunting, KE for rifle hunting.
              What mudslinger said

Comment

Heavier. I like to stay above the 400 gr mark

Comment

Both will be good. If you have 125gr broadheads then the higher foc my help down range. Ive killed a lot of deer with 380 gr arrows with great results. Good luck!!

Comment

The heavier but for a different reason that mostly listed above. FOC. FOC can be a really secret sauce for long distance accuracy, and even better accuracy at shorter ranges. Pulling is easier than pushing. In terms of "heavy" arrows yadda yadda.... not buying

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
                      The heavier but for a different reason that mostly listed above. FOC. FOC can be a really secret sauce for long distance accuracy, and even better accuracy at shorter ranges. Pulling is easier than pushing. In terms of "heavy" arrows yadda yadda.... not buying
                      Exactly why people need to look at FOC along with any set up. Forgiveness, accuracy and shot placement are key to bowhunting.

Comment

373 grains v 393 grains

I'm no archery guru, but any arrow should have decent foc. Should be around 115gr up front and 30ish on the tail end. I've been shooting light arrows for years, and have yet failed to get a pass through. I don't see the point of heavy arrows and super high foc unless you're shooting Cape buffalo or other large African game. For whitetails just about anything will work fine. Plenty of women are getting pass throughs with 40# bows and light arrows.

Comment

Working...
                        X