Colorado vacation ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado vacation ideas

I was looking for some new Colorado vacation ideas for this coming summer. I have gone there at least once a year for the past 15 years. I was hoping to find some new areas.

We will be towing a camper. I love to stay in the middle of nowhere, but it is not mandatory. I will not stay in a parking lot like a KOA. I don't care if we have water or electricity. Kids are 14 and 16 so they don't need kiddy stuff.

Over the years we have gone to Durango, Pagosa Springs, Estes Park, Euray, Creede, Lake City, Leadville, Gunnison, Colorado Springs, Monte Vista, probably a few more. We have seen and loved Garden of the Gods, Mesa Verde, Durango-Silverton RR, Bishop Castle, Leadville RR, Sand Dunes, ghost towns, climbed Mt Elbert, RMNP, and I am sure a lot more.

What ideas do you have? Camping with a tourist destination within an hour or two is what we are looking for.

I love fly fishing. Gold Medal public water would be great. I catch and release the wild ones.

Durango, Pagos, Southfork, Creede area.

Anywhere in there. Tons of fishing, tons of hiking, tons of jeep/atv trails. Creede is a neat little mountain town to walk around.

I wouldn't mess with getting a campground, just tow it up the FS road and camp at a good spot. I know of a few great spots that are remote, but accessible with a camper, south of South Fork that I can give you if you'd like.

Comment

There is great fishing on the Conejos around Antonito. The train that runs between there and Chama is really cool too. On the other side of the state, Steamboat is one of my favorite places too.

Comment

White water rafting is a blast. Hike the mountains

Comment

We stopped in Pagosa Springs, Durango, and Telluride last summer. By far my favorite spot was Telluride. We camped outside of town about twenty minutes pretty close to Trout Lake. Its a small little mountain village, but such a cool place. Im sure there is fishing just not sure where. If you or the kids want to mountain bike or anything like that there are rental shops in Telluride and a free lift up the mountain that runs all day long.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
            Durango, Pagos, Southfork, Creede area.

Anywhere in there. Tons of fishing, tons of hiking, tons of jeep/atv trails. Creede is a neat little mountain town to walk around.

I wouldn't mess with getting a campground, just tow it up the FS road and camp at a good spot. I know of a few great spots that are remote, but accessible with a camper, south of South Fork that I can give you if you'd like.
            This, great area and a metric ton of camping available.

Comment

Rio Grande Res., headwaters of the Rio Grand River. Camping and fishing in the Res. or in the river Great views and out of the way. I think there are 4x4 roads that will take you over to Silverton from the Res.

Comment

What about the Crested butte area?

Comment

Gateway canyons. Wife and I had a great time there. Also has a Baja truck experience course.

We rented Jeep and did Moab and telluride from there also
                  Last edited by Texans42; 02-14-2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Gibson lake - there is a camping area close. It's a hike up to the lake but it's full of arctic grayling and trout

Comment

These are great ideas. Keep them coming. I am slowly looking at these ideas.

Comment

My first thought was lake city but you have already been there. Ouray, Creede, Southfork and as someone mentioned down near Antonito, however there's really not much there. South of Telluride there is a lot of camping along lizard head pass. About 3 miles south of Telluride is Alta Lakes which has primitive spots and is always nice with Telluride just down the road.
                        Molass pass above Purgatory is nice as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Estes Park might be the prettiest place I have ever driven into. Stayed outside of town in some older model Rv's. Lots for the kids to do at the place we stayed. Been 10 years ago though.

Comment

Originally posted by txarcher View Post
                            There is great fishing on the Conejos around Antonito. The train that runs between there and Chama is really cool too. On the other side of the state, Steamboat is one of my favorite places too.
                            X2 on this area. Google "camping Conejos River" and you will see some great options. I have had had several great fishing trips there. It is adjacent to a zillion acres of the Rio Grande National Forest you can explore. You can drive the river road up to Platoro Resevoir which is beautiful.

Comment

Check out Taylor lake. Lots of atvs whether or not you're into that thing. Lots of hiking too

Comment

Working...
                              X