Tiny Houses = Crazy $$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiny Houses = Crazy $$$

Was watching some DIY stuff today and this show comes on called "Tiny Luxury Houses". I started watching it and was intrigued by it. Apparently based in Oregon there are a couple of brothers that build these little houses on triple axle trailers.

These things are small at about 150sq ft. but the prices are crazy high. They rum between $100K-$120K, Just on a couple episodes the price per square foot were $600 and $800. That's just a lot of money for a trailer you pull behind a pickup. The people that get them must have a huge disposable income.

I wonder down the road after a few years of shake rattle and rolling what the resell value is going to be? Rant over........

They sell tiny homes near Marble Falls. They are pretty high. Proud of them I guess. I didn't see anything special

Comment

Ya I dont understand them. You can get a double wide for cheaper thats 10x the size. I think some people just want to prove to themselves they can live in a small shack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Can't fix stupid. Could build one in my driveway for $50.00 ish a foot.

Comment

I always laugh when I watch these tiny house shows and the people say they are downsizing and want to limit bills, and then they pay $70-100k for a tiny house and then almost as much on a truck to pull the dang thing (twice I saw people had to upgrade their trucks). That is not saving money to me when we sold our house in PA for less than that LOL. I have been off from back surgery and really bored so I have been watching pretty much anything I stumble upon.

Comment

You could buy a lifetime supply of travel trailers for $120k. Lol. Same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
              I always laugh when I watch these tiny house shows and the people say they are downsizing and want to limit bills, and then they pay $70-100k for a tiny house and then almost as much on a truck to pull the dang thing (twice I saw people had to upgrade their trucks). That is not saving money to me when we sold our house in PA for less than that LOL. I have been off from back surgery and really bored so I have been watching pretty much anything I stumble upon.
              They tell themselves they're saving $4-8k per year not having to pay property taxes. The theory is accurate IF you could get in one cheap.

Comment

Wife is wanting to build one but us build it no way I would pay what they are paying for them. Ours would be more of a weekend deal not a full time home.

Comment

The problem with tiny houses is you're limited where you can park it. They aren't cheap to buy. The folk who build them themselves are weirdos and live primitive in them. The nicest thing about them is the trailers. It's just a fad "hey I live in a tiny house".

Comment

I could do the tiny house thing.... Only problem would be it'd require a huge shop and outdoor kitchen to also be on the property

Comment

You can convert a wells cargo trailer with a queen bed cross ways, full sized shower stall, and ac, and all the comforts of home for less than $15K

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo View Post
                        You can convert a wells cargo trailer with a queen bed cross ways, full sized shower stall, and ac, and all the comforts of home for less than $15K
                        You could buy 3 decent travel trailers for $15k.

Comment

Seems to me a person would have to be a full blown idiot to pay some of the prices for a tiny house.
                          Most participants in these shows say they want to save money for a real home in the future but i cant see how 50-100k for a house that will never increase in value in a good way to save money

Comment

It's the new millennial hipster fad. Ooo we can have a tiny home travel all over and park anywhere and grow our organics and play our ukes and be at one with the world peace

Comment

My wife and I did this two years ago, and was the best decision of my life! Now I definitely did not spend near that much money on mine but I built it myself and did it paycheck to paycheck. I have probably 25k in ours but it's payed for and thats all that matters! We went from a 2800 square foot home to a 336 square foot cabin. With the house it was pretty much impossible to save much money, and in the past two years I saved around 90k. So if you do it right its really not that "crazy". We plan on living in it a couple more years and buying a ranch with a home already built, then our cabin is going to be our beach house.

Comment

Working...
                              X