North Texas Food Plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North Texas Food Plot

Ive never planted a food plot just supplemented with protein and corn feeders. We have wheat on other parts of our farm and other farms nearby but wanted to plant something different on about a 2 acre spot. Ive used some throw and grow turnips type of stuff before but wanted a bigger plot. Ive got all the tractor implements i need. Im in Grayson county to give you an idea where I'm at and we have lots of oak trees so not sure if I'm even wasting my time. What should i plant and do i need to use a fertilizer?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by taylormade820; 08-24-2016, 03:33 PM.

If you have the equipment I would plant oats and yes you should fertilize at least 150lb acre. I have small plots and plant oats, winter rye and clover in Grayson. I have deer in them everyday

Comment

Originally posted by taylormade820 View Post
      Ive never planted a food plot just supplemented with protein and corn feeders. We have wheat on other parts of our farm and other farms nearby but wanted to plant something different on about a 2 acre spot. Ive used some throw and grow turnips type of stuff before but wanted a bigger plot. Ive got all the tractor implements i need. Im in Grayson county to give you an idea where I'm at and we have lots of oak trees so not sure if I'm even wasting my time. What should i plant and do i need to use a fertilizer?

Thanks in advance!
      Best to go talk to the local seed and feed store/ag supplier. They will have the best idea of fertilizer for soil in that area.

Comment

Get a soil test. It will tell you what you need to know to not only get your ph right, but tailor your fertilizer to your crop.

Comment

I am the ITR for Tecomate here in Texas. If your starting a new plot it is always best to start with a soil sample. It's around $20-$30 depending on where you send it to and will give you some very valuable information on if the area you want to plant will sustain a plot and what nutrients are lacking that you would need to supplement with fertilizer.

If there are lots a wheat fields around you I like to use our Tecomate Max Attract for smaller plots. It has some wheat in it so it's something the deer are used to and you know like to eat. It also has a mix of oats, winter peas, chicory, and clover so it has a great variety that will give the deer something new to try that also matures as the season goes on so it will keep the deer interested and coming back throughout the hunting season.

Comment

I'm in Grayson. I plant a mixture of oats, wheat, clover and turnips. Like stated above use atleast 150lbs of fertilizer/acre (I use 200/acre). If you invest in the seed, it's worth your money to invest in the fertilizer. My personal opinion. The majority of Grayson county is black land and you can just spread straight nitrogen on it, maybe a little potash for the roots.

Comment

Disc and Broadcast 100 lbs of wheat or 100 lbs of oats per acre (or mix at 50lbs each). Cover lightly.

Plant last week Sept through first week October and you should be fine.

Comment

If you disc and broadcast seed before a decent rain, how important is the "cover lightly" step? How would you do that on a 1 or2 acre plot?

Comment

Originally posted by BeltonLaw View Post
                  If you disc and broadcast seed before a decent rain, how important is the "cover lightly" step? How would you do that on a 1 or2 acre plot?
                  If its a pretty heavy rain you will be ok. Last year we were 3/4 of the way cultipacking our field when a heavy 1.5" rain came. You couldn't tell a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by BeltonLaw View Post
                    Get an old cyclone gate and pull it behind a four wheeler. You can add a little weight to the top of it and it works well! Good Luck!!!

Comment

what is a good general fertilizer for winter plots?

Comment

13-13-13

Comment

Without a soil test we always fertilze fall plots like oats, wheat, and rye with around 400 lbs of 13-13-13 per acre. That equals out to 52 lbs of each nutrient, (Nitrogen, Phosphate, and Potash) per acre.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                            what is a good general fertilizer for winter plots?
                            We put 200lbs per acre of something like a 30-20-10 blend or something similar. Its a one of the blends they have at Ranchland in Goldthwaite.

Comment

My vote is for Oats and Winter Peas, plus add in a bunch of clover. It will take over in the spring and give those bucks some nice protein to grow them antlers. (doesn't hurt to add some lime)

Comment

Working...
                              X