Antlers walked off...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antlers walked off...

Had my euro mount (the deer in my avatar) outside "seasoning" last week and decided to move the skull to a different tree to be closer to the ants. That was Tuesday at lunch. Wednesday morning they were still there, as I looked out the window to check. Thursday night they were gone. I am beyond bummed. No signs of being dragged off by an animal. Confirmed with a neighbor that some wanderers were spotted around the area. That means that someone came up into my back yard from the road. I don't have a fence. That was my biggest deer to date and burns me up that someone would think that just because they see something they want, they take it. My wife doesn't understand that people will just steal antlers. Has this happened to any of y'all?

I've had dogs or coyotes drag them out of my yard before. I had a freak buck skull hanging in a tree that I had boiled out. I guess something knocked it off. I found it several months later buried in my burn pile out back.

Comment

Dang, sure sorry to hear that. I've heard of dogs/yotes/critters hauling them off as well.

Comment

My girlfriend killed a 7 point this year. We got home and was in a hurry to get cleaned up and go somewhere. I placed the skinned head on the back porch. She asked if I was going to tie it down, to which I said no it will be fine. Well...something got it and it was gone the next day. I don't think I will ever live that one down.

Comment

I'm still betting a critter got it and hauled it off. Has happened a few times with me.

Comment

Have had numerous friends have this happen to them. Hang heads in trees, set on top of wood pile, leave on back porch, etc. etc. and go out to find them gone. Doubt any "wanderers" picked them up. More likely some 4 legged critter got em. Hate that ya lost em.

Comment

Had it happen once. The neighbor up the street had a lab that ran loose sometimes. I asked him politely if his dog may have picked it up. He said no way his dog would do that.

I found it in his hedges.

Good luck on finding yours.

Comment

Well, I thought it was critter at first too. Still not sold on the 'wanderer' idea myself. I'll keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Shooter View Post
                  Had it happen once. The neighbor up the street had a lab that ran loose sometimes. I asked him politely if his dog may have picked it up. He said no way his dog would do that.

my landlord and his brother have a black lab and a yellow one. i will start hedge hunting soon.

Comment

I found an entire skull with horns and tag still attached in my yard one time. It was from a neighbor about a half mile down the road. I don't have a dog either.

Comment

Originally posted by Shooter View Post

Same thing happened to me.

Comment

I think I would be more concerned that someone walked into my yard while I wasn't home and stole anything, or may have entered my home, or engaged in some other criminal act rather than walking off with my antlers.

Comment

I have already notified my neighbors and both houses down either end of the road. We'll see if they show back up. I would hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Peter View Post
                            I think I would be more concerned that someone walked into my yard while I wasn't home and stole anything, or may have entered my home, or engaged in some other criminal act rather than walking off with my antlers.
                            I would be too. But there wasn't anything else out of place.

Comment

My aoudad horns wondered off pretty sure it was from dogs.... Never located them horns. But have had several good laughs thinking about when one of these neighborhood city people found them in their yard wondering whose goat their special little fido just killed

Comment

Working...
                              X