Advice for W. TX Aoudad Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are my thoughts

1) A .270 will work fine, just learn how to shoot it well.

2) Best of the West shooting range outside of Austin will let you shoot out to 1000 yards http://www.texasshootingrange.com

3) Learn how to use a ballistics calculator and practice at various distances. Hornady, Leica, and a few other companies have free ones on their websites

4) Buy the best binoculars that you can afford.

5) Sounds like an awesome hunt. Keep us posted!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Bort View Post
        Here are my thoughts

1) A .270 will work fine, just learn how to shoot it well.

2) Best of the West shooting range outside of Austin will let you shoot out to 1000 yards http://www.texasshootingrange.com

3) Learn how to use a ballistics calculator and practice at various distances. Hornady, Leica, and a few other companies have free ones on their websites

4) Buy the best binoculars that you can afford.

5) Sounds like an awesome hunt. Keep us posted!
        Thank you for the info - really really helpful!

G.

Comment

Get a good bi pod and practice prone position I've killed 2 mule deer, 2 antelope, and about 500 prairie dogs of the bipod 2-400 yards

Comment

The bipod is a must so I just ordered one and will make that a part of my repertoire

Comment

270 should work just fine, just pick the right bullet. I use the vortex viper HD in 10x50. They are a little heavy but great glass for the price range.

Comment

Practice at the range off the bipod not a bench as much as possible

Comment

As far as the binos go, i had the leupolds an wasnt that crazy about them, now have the vortex viper hd 10x50 an wont look backZ they are amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txpanhandle32 View Post
                    As far as the binos go, i had the leupolds an wasnt that crazy about them, now have the vortex viper hd 10x50 an wont look backZ they are amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    That’s great to hear since I ordered them this morning! Lol

Comment

Working...
                    X