My Sons 1st deer!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Sons 1st deer!!

I'm ashamed I haven't shared this with y'all yet, but I just haven't been on here much lately. I'll start by telling a little history working up to the kill. I'll try to keep it as short as possible.

My son Lukas is 14 and decided 2 seasons ago he wanted his very first deer to be taken with a bow. First off I wouldn't let him hunt until he could pull 40lbs. He got to that pretty quick and at 12 he shot at a spike we now call "Matrix". I don't have to explain why we called him that...lol. We started shooting 3D early in 2015 simply to get him stronger and more confident in his shooting, little did I know he and I both would get addicted. 2015 Season rolls around and because of school and our busy life we didn't get to hunt a whole lot. We hunted family land near Huntsville and he ended up getting educated by a doe on yardage guessing. Miss #2!! He took it all in stride but stayed strong in his bow only hunting.
    In 2016 we hit the 3D trail hard. We got to go to our first Pro/Am and he got 4th at the TX State ASA shoot in Eastland. There was hardly a weekend through the 3D season that we weren't shooting somewhere.
    Deer season couldn't get here quick enough!!!
    By the season opener he had worked his way up to around 52lbs pull and was shooting real good. We got on a lease and hung bow stands in different places and put in the work to find the deer. He put in the time and saw deer but just couldn't get it done. All the while he was gaining much respect for the animal he was trying to take. Thanksgiving week we ended up back at our family's place near Huntsville. It warmed up that week and we just hadn't seen much. Tuesday night a front was supposed to come in and I told him I thought we should see deer that evening.
    Well we get in the woods and we are hunting opposite ends of a hay meadow, probably 200 yards apart. I could see him with my binos so at 5pm when I heard the feeder go off, I stood up and took a look around the tree I was in.
    There's a deer under the feeder!!! So I look at him and he is at full draw!!!
    Another deer was closer to him and from my angle I figure he's gonna take the closer shot. NOPE!! I see the arrow fly through the upper portion of my field of view and I think he's shot over another one!! Then I see the further doe running with an arrow stuck out of her!! WOOHOO!!!
    Well he immediately text me an says she jumped the shot(27yds) and he hit her back! He also told me he could see her standing in the woods behind him bleeding...and he saw wet spots on both sides of the deer....which gave me some hope. We waited till dark and went to the house and ate a sandwich and let her die. About an hour later the first sign I found was gut juice......a little bummed I'll admit. I told him no matter what the outcome was that it can all be chalked up as learning something. Not to discourage him, I told him about losing my first bowshot deer because of a thunderstorm rolling in on me. .......as the thunder rolled just west of us that night....lol!
    Long story short in 25 yards or so she opened up and we had no problem walking the bloodtrail about 100yds and there she lay. I kept wondering why we never saw the Red Nocturnal and it was because the fletching end of the arrow was still in the deer and she was laying on the arrow. Best gutshot trackjob I've ever been on!! I aint gotta tell y'all we celebrated good! Sorry so long winded but I had to tell it all to make sense to me.

Mission Craze
    GT 400s
    Slick Tricks 100gr
    Zenith 3 Finger Hinge(cause he forgot his hunting release)LOL!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Texar; 12-27-2016, 02:40 PM.

Nice, congrats to him!

Comment

Congrats to him, now he really is addicted. :-D

Comment

Awesome....congrats young man!

Comment

Congrats to your son!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

congrats! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Awesome! Congrats to him.