Who loves BlackWidow bows????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
    I guess I'm odd man out, I just never cared for Black Widows. I've shot my buddies BWs and have owned one myself, but traded it off after I killed a couple of deer and a couple pronghorns with it. I will admit they are great bows.

Mark always said the great thing about BW bows were if things got tough you could always use the riser to club baby seals

The investment in a recurve does not sting nearly as bad as buying a compound.
    For the most part, folks upgrade their compound every 3 or 4 years.
    I own several BW bows that are pushing 40 years old and they still shoot as good as the day I bought them

I bought this one back in the late 70's. Had it refinished in the early 90's so I could get them to add the snake skins.
    It is 74# at 28" , 60" long.
    I shot it yesterday and it shot as well as the day I bought it.
    Attached Files

Comment

You need to turn a few of those loose at your place!

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
        Yeah they're a little pricey!!I sold my compound to help pay for one. But if you think about it, they're the same price or maybe a tad cheaper than a new Matthews or Hoyt, etc. so if you're gonna stick with trad it's a solid investment. From now on if I can't kill one with a trad bow I'll use a rifle. After one bow season of hunting trad I know I'll never go back to a compound.
        Heck I'm still shooting the same compound that I have had since 1999. I don't buy into the "Latest and Greatest" fad. Still kills just like it did when I first bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by SilentButDeadly View Post
          Heck I'm still shooting the same compound that I have had since 1999. I don't buy into the "Latest and Greatest" fad. Still kills just like it did when I first bought it.
          Yep!! I've got an old Hoyt in the garage if my wife didn't sale it in a garage sale. It's rigged up for bowfishing, but I'm pretty sure I could kill a deer with it this evening!! Generally speaking though, a nice new compound is more than a nice new recurve, especially by the time you get it all tricked out. Same with a new deer rifle by the time you scope it, buy ammo, all that. I primarily bow hunt, so I don't mind spending the coin to get exactly the bow I want. My Dad's old deer rifle was an old Browning BAR Safari in 270. It's probably close to 50 years old, looks new, and functions great. He always told me buy what you like, take care of it and use it forever. Kinda what I was thinking when I bought my Widow.

Comment

Yeah but with guns they hold their value. Compound bows do not. If you don't get a new model every 3 years or so you can't get anything for your old model. Technology and efficiency has come so far with wheeled bow since 1999 it's unlikely real. And I would bet if that bow were shot as much as mine it wouldn't have held up. Hundreds of shots per week will wear the axles out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

I love my BD64. Oldie but goodie.

Comment

Black Widow bows have always been excellent shooters and ever since the new owners decided to again build them using exotic woods they have become serious eye candy to boot. They are no more expensive than other high end custom bows. Lots of folks like them and some don't. I currently have two and over the years have owned a number of others and every one of them exhibited excellent craftsmanship and were quality shooters. The company and the folks there are top shelf.
                Last edited by Straitshot; 11-01-2016, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                  Yeah but with guns they hold their value. Compound bows do not. If you don't get a new model every 3 years or so you can't get anything for your old model. Technology and efficiency has come so far with wheeled bow since 1999 it's unlikely real. And I would bet if that bow were shot as much as mine it wouldn't have held up. Hundreds of shots per week will wear the axles out.

You are correct about the wear. I shoot at least 3 days a week year around. I have replaced the limbs once, axles and cams twice and the string more times than I can count. She still gets the job done.

Comment

I don't see the point of spending hundreds of dollars maintaining an old, inefficient piece of equipment when you can upgrade for a few hundred. Just buying someone's gently used 2 or 3 year old bow would be an improvement. If it's not in the budget I understand that. I fit that description for several decades.

Comment

But then again I'm not an old car person either. Hate having to work on them and wondering if they are gonna go.

Comment

Working...
                      X