Fabricated Winch Bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabricated Winch Bumper

My son and I are fabricating a winch bumper for his 2005 ranger. I know the winch dimensions need to be something like 10.5 x 4.5 inches. I am concerned about how a different bumper may affect the airbag deployment. In my mind, it shouldn't affect it at all but I have read some information that says otherwise. I thought the airbag was triggered by an inertia switch and not tied to the movement of the front bumper (I think that was an old system).

Any advice on this as well as what thickness plate for the center section under and around the winch? I plan on using 1/8 in for the outer sections. I also plan on just cutting off the existing bumper mounts and welding them to the new fabricated bumper.

Once we do this one we will move to the rear bumper and then the roll bar/overcab storage.

Thanks in advance.

Ford i am assuming?

Comment

Yes. 2005 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II. It has the 4.1 limited slip rear end and can tow 10K.

Comment

Maybe do a search thru this website: www.explorerforum.com
        I'm sure this has been discussed in there before.

Comment

Originally posted by kmack View Post
          Maybe do a search thru this website: www.explorerforum.com
          I'm sure this has been discussed in there before.
          Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Comment

Airbags are tricky. I have worked claims where they have gone off at 2-3 mph bumping into another vehicle or retaining wall. I also have had them not deploy on higher speed accidents. Likely by design so the driver could stay in control. Many people have been mad cause the air bag did not deploy and wanted to try cut it out to see if it was even in there. We would not let them, cause we sold them even as a total.

I think you will be fine to do the replacement.

Comment

1. I wouldn't worry about the airbags, if you don't have sensors connected to the bumper...which is highly unlikely.

2. Most stock bumper mounts are now intended to play a roll in the "crumple zone" during impact. When I say mounts, I am talking about both the bumper side components and the end of the frame horn that the bumper connects to. Most aren't designed to take a PULL, this is why the recovery hooks are mounted to the frame. You will need to take that into account when building your bumper. I cut off the stock bumper mounting plates on my '02 Superduty and welded my own mounts to the frame horn. I used my winch 1 time before doing that and watched as the bumper started to twist downward on the truck. The stock mounting plate was bending in at the bottom and pulling away at the top.

3. Be sure to disconnect the battery for a good 5-10 minutes before you start welding on the truck.

Let me know if you have any questions or need pictures.

Comment

My current project, 2019 Expedition

Comment

^^^ are you building a new front bumper for the Ex?

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                    Yes, complete replacement. B-I-L's truck. He called a bunch of different manufactures and nobody is currently making one for the 2019. Him and I have about 20-25 hours in it right now. Nearing the the finish line He wants it smooth, so there are a few hours of grinding coming up. going to surface-mount 6, LED cubes in the 1/4" plate. There will be lights shinning in 180ยบ around the front. He is a realtor and shows land/ranches and wants people to be able to see everything clearly. He is talking about getting it painted the same as the truck, a metallic black, I want it Line-X.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post

Almost done.

Comment

Slick work man

Comment

Thanks all for the info. We will start his bumper after we get my daughters 69 ranger torn down and sand blasted.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                            Thanks all for the info. We will start his bumper after we get my daughters 69 ranger torn down and sand blasted.

Awesome! I want to see that too

Comment

Looking beefy! I like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X