Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knapping, all around general discussions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knapping, all around general discussions.

Just thought with all the knappers and arrowhead collectors we have a general discussion thread on knapping would be appropriate. Ask questions, answer questions, show your work, ask questions, give advice, seek advice, pass along compliments. Plan knapp-ins, individual informal lessons, and possibly share some materials!

Here is the tread that got this idea rolling. Jason Fry started it so credit goes to him!

Comment

A thread I posted on some artifacts I found with some general knapping discussion in it.

Comment

Ok! Here we go! These were two of my very first points, from bottle bottoms. There is a cool way to pop out the bottom of a bottle using a big nail or bolt.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20170123_203329.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	24481694

Name:	20170123_204006.jpg
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	24481695

Comment

Here are a couple of things I had a hard time figuring out....

I grew up calling all arrowhead-ish rocks "flint." Within the knapping context, most of it is more properly called "chert." Academic, largely, and the words seem to be fairly interchangeable, but chert is more often the correct term.

You should read about Ishi. In the early 1900's, he came out of the hills and joined civilization. Much of what flint knappers now know regarding aboriginal techniques came from Ishi. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishi

A "platform" is the spot you hit or push in order to remove a flake off of the piece you are working. You'll hear this word a lot, because identifying and preparing good platforms is one of the critical skills to be a good knapper.

A "flake" is just about any small piece of rock that you chip off. There are multiple kinds of "flakes", and the nerds can tell you by looking at the flake what technique was used to produce it.

A "spall" is typically a large flake knocked off of a larger rock or "core". When you decide to buy rock from a knapping supply place, it often comes in spalls.

Comment

Here is a set of progress pictures from a point I did on my lunch break. Start to finish, maybe 30 minutes. This material was from a cobble in the county road in front of my house. Small axis antler billet percussion and a copper tipped Ishi stick for pressure flaking.

Original spall, after just a few flakes to thin off the bulb of percussion.

After a bit more thinning.

All thinned out and shaped, just prior to notching.

Final result, both sides. Not a particularly well refined point, but quick and easy when you start from the right size and shape of flake.

Final point is about 2" long by 1 1/2" wide.
            Last edited by Jason Fry; 01-24-2017, 01:14 PM.

Comment

If anyone knows of a place for a bunch of Knappers to get together during the spring or first part of the summer, I'd be willing to show up and bring some Obsidian!

Comment

Originally posted by Flint knapper View Post
                If anyone knows of a place for a bunch of Knappers to get together during the spring or first part of the summer, I'd be willing to show up and bring some Obsidian!
                Cool! I'll see what I can find.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                  ...........I grew up calling all arrowhead-ish rocks "flint." Within the knapping context, most of it is more properly called "chert." Academic, largely, and the words seem to be fairly interchangeable, but chert is more often the correct term.....
                  I asked a knapping pro, he really is a pro and knows more about rocks and knapping than twenty average knappers!! Anyhow I asked him to "dumb it down" for me and this is in a nut shell what he explained. Very much like Jason said, Flint and Chert are basically the same. He mentioned that flints are actually a type of chert. He said basically for knappers cherts are a little more "grainy" and flints are much smoother and glassy.
                  The finer "flint" can be seen towards the outer ring in these nodules and the "chert" is towards the center and is alittle more cloudy in color.

Name:	FB_IMG_14699270632651.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	24481881

Comment

Pretty material. Georgetown?

Comment

........A "platform" is the spot you hit or push in order to remove a flake off of the piece you are working. You'll hear this word a lot, because identifying and preparing good platforms is one of the critical skills to be a good knapper..........
                      A picture of two different platforms. One is outlined in yellow and both have a black dot for approximate location to strike or hit it. Knapping is all about angles (conchoidal fracture, example when a BB hit a window glass) and pressures. There are things that you have to do to get the "platform" at the correct angle and strong enough to handle the pressure that you are getting ready to put on it!

Name:	20170116_141618 - Copy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	24481884

Name:	20170125_140835.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	24481885

Comment

Pretty material. Georgetown?
                        Yes, I believe it is. The knapper I know sells a lot of Georgetown.

Comment

Paleomanjim has a whole bunch of knapping videos on youtube. If you're a beginner trying to learn knapping from the internet, you've absolutely got to start here.

I began flintknaping in 1980 using aboriginal tools similar to what stone age cultures used. In the 1990's I transitioned to modern tools such as copper which is the preferred tool for the majority of modern day flintknappers. Over the past decade I have transitioned back to abo tools (hammerstones and organic tools) in an effort to more closely approximate ancient techniques and strategies. My goal in posting these videos is to demonstrate some of the tools, techniques and thought processes that were used by our ancestors. Early mans ability to work stone enabled him to better survive his environment and resulted in a shift from gathering to hunting. Making tools and hunting required more complex thought processes. This was our beginning. DVD's of some of these videos are available on my website at http://www.flintknappers.com/store.php?sid=Ng%3D%3D Check out my other Youtube channel: The Curious Nomad https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-KG7sUUfJjl92U4PgjTTNw

Comment

Anyone knapping today? I have several things to do but I may get out and break some rock later.

Comment

When and y do you cook cheat or flint or do you?

Comment

Working...
                              X