Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
    I think two doe and a hog this morning.

The count total so far for this year is 2 bucks, 7doe, and 6 hogs. I thought I was going to add a raccoon this morning but even he walked past the corn. Lol
    Yeah thats all I heard that was taken to.

Comment

I think two doe and a hog this morning.

The count total so far for this year is 2 bucks, 7doe, and 6 hogs. I thought I was going to add a raccoon this morning but even he walked past the corn. Lol
      Couldn't believe there wasn't more moving today with the cold front. Moon is a little out of whack though.

Comment

Originally posted by JmpMstr View Post
        So I'm new to TBH and Hunting in TX. I drew a bow slot on Bullis this year and have given hunting from the ground a shot. Deer seem to be pretty hard to pattern. Got some promising trail camera shots too. Even one really huge pig. Question, are there any good info that I should know about before sticking a pig? Im guessing they will run from the sound of a bow but will they turn round and charge? The pigs in HI would run at you with a quickness if you jumped one during land nav. Also, got some bucks moving during the day, has anyone else been seeing this?

Sorry wont let post pics until I've posted five times. lol

Happy hunting everyone.

Thanks

Chris M.
        So it let me post the pics this time!

How old do you think these deer are?
        Last edited by JmpMstr; 10-04-2014, 01:20 PM. Reason: copied wrong link

Comment

He might make 13"......

Good buck!!!

Hogs don't usually jump the string, but they will spook sometimes when you're trying to shoot.

I'm back in the ladder stand. Here's my best dink. Had him at the feeder just before sunset yesterday for about 40 min. That's a close up photo and it makes him look bigger than he is.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Thumper; 10-04-2014, 02:54 PM. Reason: W

Comment

You back out there thumper?

Comment

I was, didn't see anything. Heard two guys talking just south of me. Said they were looking for a doe they shot this morning, no blood trail ????.

I checked out ORC at 2015hrs, only one turkey brought in.

On the way out I saw a nice buck chasing a doe pretty close to the sportsman's range, when I was going out the front gate he had her pushed up against the security fence by the gate.

Comment

I was, didn't see anything. Heard two guys talking just south of me. Said they were looking for a doe they shot this morning, no blood trail ????.

I checked out ORC at 2015hrs, only one turkey brought in.

On the way out I saw a nice buck chasing a doe pretty close to the sportsman's range, when I was going out the front gate he had her pushed up against the security fence by the gate.
                I left just a little before you, the only deer i saw today were as I was driving to the ORC after hunting and leaving Bullis.

What area do you hunt in?

Comment

When does the rut usually start on Bullis and around San Antonio?

Comment

I'm hunting in section 5E next to Blanco RD. The rut usually is right around Thanksgiving.

Comment

If they are already chasing does, do you think rattling would work now?

Comment

Originally posted by biscoiv View Post
                        If they are already chasing does, do you think rattling would work now?
                        I don't know, a little early I think. But then again there was a doe and buck when I got here at 0615hrs. Didn't see the horns good but it was a good sized deer. He wouldn't leave because she didn't leave when I climbed into my tripod.

About 40min ago a doe with two spotted fawns came in, she was a little spooky but worked around feeding until a good sized coyote just run them off. Almost got a shot on him but he saw me move to draw. I sure hate coyotes, they eat a lot of fawns.

I didn't want to shoot her with the two fawns and I'm sort of holding off the doe until after the rut. Deer are moving this morning!

Comment

I don't know, a little early I think. But then again there was a doe and buck when I got here at 0615hrs. Didn't see the horns good but it was a good sized deer. He wouldn't leave because she didn't leave when I climbed into my tripod.

About 40min ago a doe with two spotted fawns came in, she was a little spooky but worked around feeding until a good sized coyote just run them off. Almost got a shot on him but he saw me move to draw. I sure hate coyotes, they eat a lot of fawns.

I didn't want to shoot her with the two fawns and I'm sort of holding off the doe until after the rut. Deer are moving this morning!
                          Good to hear there's movement today. I'll be out this evening...just as soon as work is done! FWIW, here's a breeding chart on the TPWD site showing rut-activity periods: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...r/table/#south

Comment

Wish I was out today if they're moving. Thanks for the chart.

Comment

Please excuse my ignorance, but what region do we fall under on those charts?

Comment

Originally posted by biscoiv View Post
                                Please excuse my ignorance, but what region do we fall under on those charts?
                                South Texas Plains. Here's the map: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...iled_deer/#map

Comment

Working...
                                X