No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another typical example. There are several bucks that look like these examples. I hope to get get 8-10 of them .
    Attached Files

Comment

Of course the key is to leave dynamic 4 yr olds like this!
      Attached Files

Comment

When are you going to start hunting big boy?

Comment

He's just 4. There are a bunch ahead of him in the que. Do see him as one of the future super stars though. We'll see what he does next yr. Think he has 20 or 21 scorable points here.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
            He's just 4. There are a bunch ahead of him in the que. Do see him as one of the future super stars though. We'll see what he does next yr. Think he has 20 or 21 scorable points here.
            I'm talking about the big 12

Comment

I'm in

Comment

Yea season has to start soon, right???

Comment

Starts Thursday. Will hunt the 12 till someone gets him!!!

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                    Starts Thursday. Will hunt the 12 till someone gets him!!!
                    I think you need to do a Live thread, just about him and who gets him!! He may be the biggest native genetic buck killed this year!!! He deserves his own thread! My .2 cents....

Comment

Along for the ride. Top notch management practices Elgato!

Comment

Finishing up the planting tomorrow. Been dry last couple of weeks but chance of rain for next few days. Stuff planted first is already starting to come and the deer are already on the soy beans just planted. Season starts Wednesday and it's time to switch from growing to harvesting. Will be an exciting season.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I'm excited for you!

And I can't wait for 'harvest' pics!

Comment

Wow cool thread. Quite the endeavor you got going on gato!

Comment

Growing and harvesting the Big Bucks. Cool. I am hoping you get some rain on your deer food crops and seeds. It is amazing how the food plots help the deer to grow such big racks. Good luck on your Big Buck Harvet

Comment

IT'S TIME TO GO HUNTING!!!

Weather is cooling off. We have worked hard all year to try creating optimum environment for whitetails. At last it's time to chase them.

This is my quarry. I have posted his picture numerous times and I hope this is the last time with him still on his feet. He is a 5 yr old that I believe to be a bit over 200" . Been watching him 2 yrs now though have never seen him in hard horn...no one ever has.I believe deer like this can be the result from an intense nutritional program on native homegrown genetics!

The challenge is that he spends a lot of time on my neighbor/buddies farm.While all summer he was highly predictable and could be found most evenings at a feeder on our border, this picture was taken nearly 2 miles away Thursday night. Seems when he sheds his velvet he starts to roam a lot and goes nocturnal.

To try and lure him into my sights I've done everything I can think of . I started with corn and rice bran daily in late August. In early Sept. I planted an 8 acre field where the feeder was located with soy beans, sweet blue lupines, radishes, red clover, and wheat. The field has a standing crop of Durana which did well all summer. I even fertilized the field Thursday with 250 lbs/acre 10-26-26, this to try to 'sweeten' the crops. First time I've added inorganic fertilizer in 3 yrs as I've been using crops for fertility and soil building.

There is an excellent chance my neighbor will get to him before I do.If so I will be the first there to celebrate and take pictures. If he gets him it will by far be the biggest buck he has ever killed. Nonetheless I intend to be solid competition.

Let the games begin!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X