flying with bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flying with bow

Any tips on checking your bow with airline? Heading to hunt in Ohio this weekend and I have never flown with a bow. Im using my SKB case. Can I lock it or does the TSA need to be able to open it? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Barrett View Post
    Any tips on checking your bow with airline? Heading to hunt in Ohio this weekend and I have never flown with a bow. Im using my SKB case. Can I lock it or does the TSA need to be able to open it? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    I would lock it if you have TSA locks on your case. My SKB does and I lock it when I check it.

Comment

Put some TSA approved locks on it so they can get in.
      Just check it as a regular bag. IF asked, tell them it is "Archery Equipment"
      Not hunting bow.
      Have never had any problems in the USA.
      I generally pack some of my hunting clothes in with the bow.
      Protects it better and lightens my weight in my other bag.

Comment

Yes, if TSA locks, no problem. If not, you may have to wait until they check it. It will go to over sized baggage, but flying is no problem

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
          I would lock it if you have TSA locks on your case. My SKB does and I lock it when I check it.
          I assume you can get those locks on the airport?

Comment

What SKB case do you have? Are you positive that it doesn't have TSA locking latches?

Comment

I would get them before hand, Home Depot or Ace Hardware.

Comment

Its the I series
                has 3 spots for locks but no actual locks built in.

Comment

I fly pretty often with my bow and never lock it. SKB double bow case. I haven't had any issues. They always ask if it is a gun, I tell them it is a bow and they generally never even open it and put it on the conveyor belt. Very easy.

Comment

Pack your extra clothes around it for extra padding, and I lock mine. I didnt use TSA locks but made them inspect it beforehand.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

I use two TSA locks on my skb with extra clothes packed in. I pack in a good case for broadheads or just take new heads in original case. Just check it as regular bag

Comment

TSA approved locks for sure

I put this on my case while flying to Africa

BOW AND ARROW
                        NO GUNS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As stated above check it in as regular baggage. If asked, tell them it is archery equipment.
                          Went to Maine '15 and '16, Canada in June last year... Used small master locks on my SKB Double Case (which I had all hunting clothes, bow, arrows, broadheads, etc.) I was told to keep the key with me on person so if they wanted to look in the case they could. I was asked to open the case each time they went through the case. I personally unlocked the case for them to look inside and locked it when they were finished.

Comment

Its the I series
                            has 3 spots for locks but no actual locks built in.
                            Roger that! I would get them before hand and would go with locks just to keep it from opening. That's the last thing you want to happen.

Comment

I've had to prove my bow wasn't loaded...…………….twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X