Choke selection for sporting clays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke selection for sporting clays?

I know there are some competitive sporting clays shooters around here - I have a question. I'm shooting in a charity sporting clays tournament tomorrow in Ft Worth. I know serious shooters change chokes along the way to match the shots presented but I have decided that is too much to mess with. I know all courses are different but for most courses what choke combo (shooting an O/U) will give you me best chance at the majority of stations? I'm thinking IC/Mod since that is what I use for doves, but would Skeet/IC be better? Thanks!

Most charity shoot targets are set pretty close. Skeet/IC is what I go with.

Comment

It depends on the course but I usually shoot;

LM & M

or

M & IM

Comment

IC never more than LM

Comment

I shoot LM under a Mod but I'm usually warming up for doves season. If I didn't have a LM it would be an IC.

LM on a single barrel..

Comment

In most charity shoots, there's no need for anything more than improved cylinder.

Comment

Agreed above most charity's a IC is plenty. I grew up shooting M across the board. It was just one of those things that if you hold tight then you tend to be a better shooter all the way around. On charity's i go to an IC to give myself a little room for error.

The problem i had with shooting IC continuously is that i would slack off on form and start to actually shoot worse.

Comment

I would plan on IC over MOD. The last two charity sorting clays shoots I shot IC would do most, but wouldn't cut it for multiple shots. IC over MOD is what I shot for OU. And I went straight mod in my benelli.

Comment

Originally posted by bk_tradguy88 View Post
                  I would plan on IC over MOD. The last two charity sorting clays shoots I shot IC would do most, but wouldn't cut it for multiple shots. IC over MOD is what I shot for OU. And I went straight mod in my benelli.

You are shooting your top barrel first?

Comment

I like an Modified and light mod. Light mod is nice choke for a semi on an all around course. Most of our shots where I shoot are long though. IC is good for beginners and charity stuff

Comment

Full for everything. Hold tight and dust em. Will make you a much better shot

Comment

M/ic

Comment

Like Shane said, most charity events are close range, but I always shoot per the station. I may change chokes out every station.

Comment

I shoot IC over LM and never change

Comment

If you are a good shot, go with improved modified across the board. It'll help with the, albeit few, long-range shots. If not, go with cylinder or improved, but it will hurt you on the longer shots. Good luck on the shoot.

Comment

Working...
                              X