Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Help! Wiring new 4 pole light switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Wiring new 4 pole light switch

Let's start with this. If your reply would have "I think" or "I'm pretty sure" or "Holiday Inn last night" then let's hold off for the experts.

I'm swapping a toggle switch for a paddle switch. The one going away is the same on both sides (brass screws on top, black screws on bottom). New one has both brass on the right and both black on the left.

I feel like I've tried every conceivable combination, of course always black wire to black screw and red wire to brass screw.

Best I've been able to do is the pics below. With that combo, when the switch is on, no lights, but the other 3 switches work. When this switch is off, none of them work. I guess this switch is the first one on the chain.

How do I make this work?

So far I've only gotten shocked once. Reminds me of those early years at shady establishments in [emoji1166] where the guy has you hold a rod in one hand and the other in the crook of your arm, then turns a crank. A buddy proved doing that can give you syphilis.

Looks like 12-3 romex, so the red and black in the same romex go on the same colored screws, same for the other set of screws

Comment

Originally posted by Rsp View Post
      Looks like 12-3 romex, so the red and black in the same romex go on the same colored screws, same for the other set of screws

Comment

Yatzee! Thank you!!!

Comment

I hate working with electricity

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X