No announcement yet.

Slug gun??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have three mossbergs, one 12 g and two 20 g. All are rifled barrels. I've tried many different slugs the them and found that they all shot winchester platinum slugs the best. All three have a scope and can shoot 3" groups at 100 yards.

I've also used two smooth bore remingtons with riffled slugs and open sites. We shot 6" groups at 100yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
      Cantilever mounts only come with the barrel. They are a permanent fixture to the barrel from the mfg. But make a huge difference in shooting accuracy.
      gotcha makes since why I cant find them youd laugh if you know how long I looked earlier today lol. so does any models come already with the cantilver?? most are iron sights

Comment

Originally posted by sp-bow View Post
        I have three mossbergs, one 12 g and two 20 g. All are rifled barrels. I've tried many different slugs the them and found that they all shot winchester platinum slugs the best. All three have a scope and can shoot 3" groups at 100 yards.

I've also used two smooth bore remingtons with riffled slugs and open sites. We shot 6" groups at 100yards.
        wanna sell a rifled barell mossy lol

Comment

Because most barrels are removable via barrel nut, barrels have a tendency to shift when shot, even though they may seem tight in the receiver. If you have a scope mounted to a receiver, and the barrel shifts, the point of impact shifts to where the barrel is pointing, not where the scope is looking. That changes the point of impact at longer distances. But still works with shot shells because shot shells spread. With a cantilever scope mount, the scope is always pointing where it was sighted in at, even if the barrel shifts in the receiver of the shotgun. You can even further increase the accuracy of the gun by "pinning" the barrel or making it permanent. This is what specialty slug guns do such as the Savage 212 and 220. The barrel on those are fixed in place. Hope that makes some sense to ya.

Comment

There are several models of shottys that come slug ready with cantilever scope mounts. Some even come with scopes. Most of the bigger pump shotty mfgs offer them.

Comment

If you’re serious about hunting with slugs, I would definitely go with a cantilever rifled barrel.

My mossberg 930 shoots Fiocchi 7/8oz reduced recoil around 2” at 50 with Williams fire sights.

Comment

Originally posted by kenforu View Post
                I don’t know about the mossberg but I do know that the Savage 220 20ga will shoot accurately out to two hundred yards. I shot my biggest buck ever last year in Illinois with it.
                That savage 220 is a fine weapon! I have a H&R ultra slug hunter in 20ga that shoots about a 2 1/2” group at 100yds all day long. I’m pretty happy with it and plan on killing a few pigs with it this year.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTxHog View Post
                  aren't sabots rifled slugs?
                  No, google sabot slug to learn the difference. Sabots are way more accurate than regular rifled slugs. I have a mossberg 695 that I wouldnt hesitate to take a kill shot out to 200yds with. It's a bolt action, rifled bore slug gun.

Comment

I'm currently looking for a 20ga Wingmaster with a serial number ending with "N". Please send me a PM if anyone has one to part with. Thanks.
                    Last edited by Texas Grown; 11-10-2018, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Btw, are you hunting in the Lance Rosier unit?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                        I'm currently looking for a 20ga Wingmaster with a serial number ending with "N". Please send me a PM if anyone has one to part with. Thanks.
                        Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Txfire409 View Post
                          Btw, are you hunting in the Lance Rosier unit?
                          yeah I hunt there bro, man ive seen some big deer in there and enough hogs to fill a skyscraper. I bow hunted it seen deer all day just not in range. then I started rifle hunting my lease I have in Saratoga for a nice 7 point I have coming in. but bout to get back in that LR unit this week. I drive the blue Silverado youll see in there every now again

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                            Why?

It would be for another custom slug gun build.

Comment

Originally posted by sp-bow View Post

I have an 870 smooth bore with a scope on it and 18 inch barrel. I wish I could get it to shoot that good. It shoots about a 2” group at 50yrds the at 100 I have a hard time keeping it on paper. I might play with different slugs right now I shoot 3” 1oz Remington slugs.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTxHog View Post
                                yeah I hunt there bro, man ive seen some big deer in there and enough hogs to fill a skyscraper. I bow hunted it seen deer all day just not in range. then I started rifle hunting my lease I have in Saratoga for a nice 7 point I have coming in. but bout to get back in that LR unit this week. I drive the blue Silverado youll see in there every now again
                                Cool. I bought that gun just for hunting in LR. My lease is South of Kountze on 326 and almost backs up to LR.

Comment

Working...
                                X