Video camera for hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
    Thinking about going with this one. Any more thoughts on it? Anyone know reasons to step up to the AX100 or not to? Looks like the 100 is larger in size.
    Excellent battery life, great zoom, and outstanding video. I have no complaints.

Comment

Tag to read later. I’m looking as well.

Comment

I use a Cannon Vixia R20. Got it used off of eBay for $45. Dang good camera for the money I spent.

Comment

Hey Fellas - I've spent the last few weeks trying to figure out what cams I would go with.. I knew I didn't wanna spend more than 300 each.

B&H , Amazon & Costco is who I was looking to purchase from. Costco offers the best refund deal, 90 days..

I went with the Canon Vixia HR800, it comes with the 3 hour battery which is a plus.. regular price is $299 but if you go directly to Canon you can buy the refurbished for $159, shipping was gonna take to long so I went to B&H and they offered the best shipping. I will get my cams on Wed.. I went with the Canon HR800 for a few reasons. largest reason fast forward 60x's trust me you need that speed.. zoom is 30 to 50 times.. much needed. well, good luck with your selection... link - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...rch=yes&sts=ps

Blood-Sport

Comment

I used a sony with an internal hard drive and night vision for years until it got stolen last December. Recently tried to buy a used one on ebay but the seller sent me a newer model canon by mistake. We worked it out where I can keep the canon so that's what I'll be shooting with this year.

Comment

As an add-on to this thread what are y’all using for ground blind camera mounts? Going to try and “film” my next hunt primarily for shot confirmation and was thinking of building a stick with a 1/4-20 thread I could just stick in the ground so I wouldn’t have to deal with a tripod in the way. In a Primos CLUB XL so have some room but was going to try and keep everything in the back to be sneaky.

Comment

I just snagged a gently used Canon HF S20 off eBay for $300. Has the cold shoe mount for external mic, LANC input for external zoom/focus controller, and 32GB of internal memory plus two SD card slots. From what I’ve been researching, I think it’s a great buy. We’ll see!

Comment

Picked up a Canon camcorder w 32GB card and internal memory @ best buy last black Friday for less than $150.

Comment

Camera or any kind of scope with night vision will be perfect I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by blood-sport View Post
                      Hey Fellas - I've spent the last few weeks trying to figure out what cams I would go with.. I knew I didn't wanna spend more than 300 each.

B&H , Amazon & Costco is who I was looking to purchase from. Costco offers the best refund deal, 90 days..

I went with the Canon Vixia HR800, it comes with the 3 hour battery which is a plus.. regular price is $299 but if you go directly to Canon you can buy the refurbished for $159, shipping was gonna take to long so I went to B&H and they offered the best shipping. I will get my cams on Wed.. I went with the Canon HR800 for a few reasons. largest reason fast forward 60x's trust me you need that speed.. zoom is 30 to 50 times.. much needed. well, good luck with your selection... link - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...rch=yes&sts=ps

Blood-Sport
                      How does this one perform in low light?

Comment

Canon Vixia HF G10 is what I use. It’s an older camera but still really good. It’s a higher end consumer camera with a lot of different adjustments for various filming situations...which is probably more than the regular guy needs.

Skinny

Comment

Cant add anything much. I'm using a canon vixia that we bought 3 or 4 years ago. I have tried all different kinds of mounts and the best I have found is a plain old fashioned tripod for ground blind and box blind hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                            Canon Vixia HF G10 is what I use. It’s an older camera but still really good. It’s a higher end consumer camera with a lot of different adjustments for various filming situations...which is probably more than the regular guy needs.

Skinny
                            Agreed I use the older model HG20 very good quality videoing

Comment

One thing I like in a camera is the ability to use manual focus...especially while blind/feeder hunting. When I get my cam set up on the tripod, I can manually focus the camera on the feeder or a rock near the feeder. This keeps anything in that area in focus and won’t allow it to auto focus on a branch or anything else between me and feeder. Also manual focus is great in low light or night hunting situations as the camera (in auto focus) struggles to stay in focus and really jacks up the footage.

Skinny

Comment

Thanks

Still rolling with old school miniDV, discovered no way to get video on laptop (had windows movie maker but it is no longer on laptop and no longer available to download)

Decided I may need to just come out of the last decade and get a new camera

Not wanting to break the bank as I am just wanting to watch my own and occasionally post something. No intent to start my own TV show or YouTube channel

Comment

Working...
                                X