Drake the duck dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drake the duck dog

Well I bit the bullet this year and finally got a trained duck dog. I am getting to fat and old to be chasing all these dang ducks in the field, and in an out of skid and pit blinds. I run hunts in Texas and Arkansas and pretty much require a dog.

It was a long road to find a dog as the wife has a Chihauhua and we have small kids so this new dog had to be good around kids and small dogs.

I had a dog lined up for about 8 month in training and 6 weeks before teal season I called the guy and was like I need the dog why is training taking so long. Long story short dog was not taking to training well and the trainer did not tell me this until 6 weeks before teal season!!!!

Now the search begins again. I found Drake from a local trainer and he looked like an awesome dog and the price was right. I went and looked at him a week after other dog fell through and I brought him home.

Wife and kids love him. Chihauhua not so much but she is coming around. Drake pretty much just ignores her barking and craziness.
    He came house broken so that was also a huge plus!

I am not crazy about the name drake but I think it is to late to change it as he is a 2 year old dog and part of the hunting commands refer to his name.....oh well..

Pictures are of his first real retrieve during teal season and our first hunt together.

Bonus picture is of the banded dove I shot last weekend that he retrieved as well. I am supper pumped to finally have a good dog.
    Attached Files

Great looking companion

Comment

Dog's are the best tool and I enjoy watching them work. Good luck and congrats

Comment

Congrats and good looking dog, I lost my female lab this year that was only 6 and I miss her everyday. A good hunting / Family dog is a blessing. I will get another one some day. BTW congrats on the band!

Comment

Thats an awesome dog! Mine is 9+, so I need to start looking for another

Part of the family

Comment

Just picked mine up Sunday although I think we are little behind you when it comes to this season [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good looking dog! My YLM is named Drake too! We will pick him up from the trainer at the end of November. I had to have elbow surgery and just couldn't do it myself. He's doing great though!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

I will not duck hunt without a dog anymore. Its no longer about killing the birds for me, I love watching the dogs work. Its hard when I go and we take one of my buddies dogs as to me the best time in the blind is having the dog I trained beside me.

Comment

Congrats on the pup. Call me spoiled but I won't even get out of bed for a dove (DEFINITELY not quail) hunt unless I've got the dogs. When taking buddies with me hunting, the first thing I tell them is "just wait to see the dogs work." To me that's more fun than the shooting.

For what it's worth, I think Drake is a great name. Especially for a duck dog. That was my first thought when I saw the thread title
                    Last edited by BlackHogDown; 10-03-2018, 11:44 AM.

Comment

I need to do the same for my dove hunting. I keep threatening to do it after I lost Ab but I keep putting it off.

Good looking dog and Drake is a great lab name....

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post

Just picked mine up Sunday although I think we are little behind you when it comes to this season [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Might be surprised. The best lab I had was born April 24 and was making 75 yard retrieves that same teal season and multiple marks by conservation goose.

She came from a litter between to guides and had ZERO formal training. All in my yard and the blind/field

Comment

Working...
                        X