Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
    What am I missing here?

Understanding the game of golf...there was a reason Tiger played those holes the way he did. He can’t be as aggressive as he used to be and doesn’t have the length on his clubs he once had.

Comment

I lo ve how everyone says the young guns are here and he has not shot against them. Well how many of them young guns were behind him on Sunday as well as several of the last few tourneys. He is playing really well and it clearly shows he has a ways to go in his own game so if an when he get that, he will win again. He was 2 holes awa this past weekend. If he just pars 12 and 13, he is tied with lead and in playoff. He is close...

Comment

While I value the opinion of all the non-golfers of the world, the undeniable truth is that Tiger playing better and being a factor in tournaments moves the needle. He moves the needle for TV (best final round tv numbers for The Open since 2000 when Tiger was completing his career grand slam). He moves the needle for golfers. I got up early to watch lives instead of catching it later on DVR. I've played golf for 25+ years and have been watching it for as long. He was never my favorite in his prime, but I will go out of my way to watch him in this comeback or whatever you want to call it.

The bottom line whether you like him or not...
        He's relevant again. He will win again. He will win another major. I made that bet with a coworker about three years ago. I was laughed out of the building countless times. They're not laughing now...there's a little voice in their head saying "crap...he might actually do it."

Other random thoughts since someone else brought it up...

I love Nick Faldo and could listen to him commentate golf all day every day. If you don't like Faldo, you probably don't like David Feherty, either. I'm fine with that. I don't like your favorite shows like Duck Dynasty and anything Michael Waddell does.

I can't stand Johnny Miller.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
          Understanding the game of golf...there was a reason Tiger played those holes the way he did. He can’t be as aggressive as he used to be and doesn’t have the length on his clubs he once had.
          I understand the game of golf chief... If Tiger has to lay back on holes that 95% of the field is goosing a driver 340 yards down then he is basically giving up that yardage. It doesn't matter what the reason is. Giving up yardage to the field is giving up yardage to the field any way you cut the cake.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
            And hold on what? He doesn't have the length he once had??? He is number 15 in club head speed on the PGA Tour...

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
              I lo ve how everyone says the young guns are here and he has not shot against them. Well how many of them young guns were behind him on Sunday as well as several of the last few tourneys. He is playing really well and it clearly shows he has a ways to go in his own game so if an when he get that, he will win again. He was 2 holes awa this past weekend. If he just pars 12 and 13, he is tied with lead and in playoff. He is close...
              Agreed

Originally posted by Larry View Post
              While I value the opinion of all the non-golfers of the world, the undeniable truth is that Tiger playing better and being a factor in tournaments moves the needle. He moves the needle for TV (best final round tv numbers for The Open since 2000 when Tiger was completing his career grand slam). He moves the needle for golfers. I got up early to watch lives instead of catching it later on DVR. I've played golf for 25+ years and have been watching it for as long. He was never my favorite in his prime, but I will go out of my way to watch him in this comeback or whatever you want to call it.

The bottom line whether you like him or not...
              He's relevant again. He will win again. He will win another major. I made that bet with a coworker about three years ago. I was laughed out of the building countless times. They're not laughing now...there's a little voice in their head saying "crap...he might actually do it."

Other random thoughts since someone else brought it up...

I love Nick Faldo and could listen to him commentate golf all day every day. If you don't like Faldo, you probably don't like David Feherty, either. I'm fine with that. I don't like your favorite shows like Duck Dynasty and anything Michael Waddell does.

I can't stand Johnny Miller.
              Agreed again. Tiger will win and the haters will lose their minds.

I understand the game of golf chief... If Tiger has to lay back on holes that 95% of the field is goosing a driver 340 yards down then he is basically giving up that yardage. It doesn't matter what the reason is. Giving up yardage to the field is giving up yardage to the field any way you cut the cake.
              And hold on what? He doesn't have the length he once had??? He is number 15 in club head speed on the PGA Tour...
              I don't think you understand the motive to a lot of those guys hitting irons. Tiger wasn't the only one but he did a lot. Its tactical and you have to be on course those guys play on. you can see why Jordan lost on Sunday. Being aggressive isn't always the smart move and will cost you if you don't execute perfectly every time. And to say Tiger doesn't have distance is another statement that shows you aren't paying attention, yet here to argue and show your disdain for Tiger. He is only 15 yards behind the leading driving average right now. At 42 years old and average above 300 is pretty dam good if you ask me. Accuracy is his problem right now.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                I don't think you understand the motive to a lot of those guys hitting irons. Tiger wasn't the only one but he did a lot. Its tactical and you have to be on course those guys play on. you can see why Jordan lost on Sunday. Being aggressive isn't always the smart move and will cost you if you don't execute perfectly every time. And to say Tiger doesn't have distance is another statement that shows you aren't paying attention, yet here to argue and show your disdain for Tiger. He is only 15 yards behind the leading driving average right now. At 42 years old and average above 300 is pretty dam good if you ask me. Accuracy is his problem right now.
                Yes I understand the motive of them hitting irons.
                Yes Tiger hit more irons off tees and lost yardage to the field. Hence the entire reason of my post about the course playing longer for him.
                Jordan lost on Sunday mainly because he 3 putted 4 times.
                I know being aggressive isn't always the right move and the price you pay for being conservative is having the course play much longer than if you played some well executed aggressive shots.

I am assuming the second half of your post about Tiger not having the length wasn't directed at me.

Comment

I stand corrected, that must have happened when I went to the bathroom to THROW-UP !
                  Originally posted by Atascosa View Post

To be clear, he was leading alone for a bit...

Comment

Yes Tiger hit more irons off tees and lost yardage to the field. Hence the entire reason of my post about the course playing longer for him.
                    I know being aggressive isn't always the right move and the price you pay for being conservative is having the course play much longer than if you played some well executed aggressive shots.

I am assuming the second half of your post about Tiger not having the length wasn't directed at me.
                    He won the 2006 British Open at Royal Liverpool having only hit driver ONE TIME in four rounds.

Hitting the fairway at Carnoustie was his strategy for the week. He figured driver the driver brought into play more trouble than it was worth. T-8 for the four days in fairways hit. It almost paid off for him.

Comment

Tiger has the fastest recorded clubhead speed on tour this year at 129.20!!!! Incredible for over 40 years old with a fused back.

The reason Jordan 3 putted 4 times was he was taking bigger risk and ending up missing fairways which on that course makes it almost impossible to get approach shots close to the pin. He created pressure situations that make you more prone to mistakes thus the putting issues.

Having played the course before I can assure you missing fairways will add strokes at a higher rate than courses here in America.

Comment

No it wasn’t. I didn’t space my thoughts lol.

Comment

The reason Jordan 3 putted 4 times was he was taking bigger risk and ending up missing fairways which on that course makes it almost impossible to get approach shots close to the pin. He created pressure situations that make you more prone to mistakes thus the putting issues.

Having played the course before I can assure you missing fairways will add strokes at a higher rate than courses here in America.[/QUOTE]

x2. Played it a few years ago too. Players cannot hit in the rough on that course without adding AT LEAST ONE STROKE (unless you catch a rare break with a favorable lie). Hackers will add 2-3 strokes, lose the ball, or kick-out as normal. I don't play or see any courses over here like that.

Comment

Have not heard any numbers yet but the fans were out in force at the PGA and most were following him.
                            Unlike a few pages earlier i think he will win again and does have another Major in him. In the next year I believe he gets one before Spieth. His short game is better than I thought he could get back to. Needs to get to where he loses it in only one direction. He needs to get back to the Scotty Cameron in the off-season.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
                              Two weeks ago the Waste Management Open in Phoenix set an all time 1 day attendance record of 204,000 with an estimated 700,000 total attendance for the event. Without Tiger...
                              I understand what Tiger did for the game but let's give him a spot next to Faldo in the booth.
                              And BTW, Jordon just won his 9th last weekend at 23 years of age. Guess how old Tiger was when he did it? That's right 23. Jordon also has 2 Majors to his credit so I don't think its safe to say Jordon can't match or beat Tigers records. I think it is safe to say Jordon will not change the game the way Tiger did. Tiger was something special, and African American to boot. They are two different personalities and players on the course. I don't think Jordon will ever have to be told to stop screaming the Lord's name in vein every time he misses a put.

One thing for sure, Jack's records are safe as far as Tiger is concerned...
                              You are right but realistically Spieth is BORING. Tiger brings fire back into game where everyone shows none.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
                                You are right but realistically Spieth is BORING. Tiger brings fire back into game where everyone shows none.
                                The only thing I don’t like about it is they Show tigers every single shot when they are on air that gets old so sure the media is going to make you like watching one way are another!

Comment

Working...
                                X