Conscious Sedation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conscious Sedation

Going in for my first round of dental work in many years this week. Terrified is an understatement. I’m doing conscious sedation but don’t really know what to expect. Supposed to be in the chair around five hours this round. Anyone have history with this kind of sedation? Set my mind at ease.

Might wanna put your phone on record to see what perverse things you say.

Comment

As one who is terrified of dentists I think it's great. It takes a bunch to put me under but when I wake up it's all over.

Comment

If it’s the same type of conscious sedation as steroid injections into the discs in your back, you will be fine. You’re aware, but out of it, and will only feel some slight pressures in the work area. I’ve never been high as a kite, but if I had to take a wild guess, this is about as close as you can get. Relax and enjoy the ride.

Comment

It's not just the procedure it's also the recovery. Dentist are misleading when it comes to the pain they indict.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
            As one who is terrified of dentists I think it's great. It takes a bunch to put me under but when I wake up it's all over.
            Is that with IV sedation or just the pill? I think mine is just a pill of some sort. I have to pick up scripts in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by brysdad View Post
              Going in for my first round of dental work in many years this week. Terrified is an understatement. I’m doing conscious sedation but don’t really know what to expect. Supposed to be in the chair around five hours this round. Anyone have history with this kind of sedation? Set my mind at ease.

Basically you will be awake (though groggy) and able to communicate but then won't remember afterward. They usually use a combination of Fentanyl and Versed. Versed has a weird property where it erases short term memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                Might wanna put your phone on record to see what perverse things you say.
                Or to record what they say about you

Comment

You may want to make sure beforehand that they are conducting ETCO2 monitoring while you are under sedation. If they are just monitoring your O2 levels then you need to know that ahead of time. Especially for a Surgery as long as you have indicated. If done properly they will place an ETCO2 cannula on you. This will monitor CO2 levels and deliver oxygen at the same time. They will place a finger probe on you to check your O2 levels. Make the phone call and ask if they do ETCO2 monitoring and what type of a machine it is. If they tell you it is a finger probe then they are not monitoring you.......I sell in to Hospitals, Surgery Centers, and Dental offices. Not all Dental locations monitor. Just providing additional info.

Comment

Man up and tell the doc to give you a local. I've had so much done lately it's becoming routine. Getting a cracked molar pulled Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by sunsethunter View Post
                      Basically you will be awake (though groggy) and able to communicate but then won't remember afterward. They usually use a combination of Fentanyl and Versed. Versed has a weird property where it erases short term memory.
                      I had to laugh and comment on this.....I introduced as a biotech sales person Versed when it was first introduced. What a great drug.....they can laugh and call you all kinds of names and you won't remember a thing! Of course, during the initial marketing of the drug there were too many that dosed it like Valium and produced a LOT of respiratory problems..."lot's of Ambu Bags used."

"I'd rather have a VERY good "gas passer" than surgeon in most situations whether a DDS or MD/DO.

Just make sure they give you adequate post op Pain Meds....NO reason to suffer until you heal. Good Luck and it will all be fine......

Comment

Your scripts are for pain meds. Oh yeah, you're going to need them.

Comment

5 hrs?!!...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Comment

I went in for oral surgery and had all my top teeth taken out at one time. Surgeon asked me if I wanted to be awake or asleep. I said knock me out doc. Woke up a few hours later and a little groggy. Wife drove me home and a few Tylenols all was fine. Dentures fit fine after all the swelling went down. Best decision I have could have made.

Comment

My wife has to have Ativan before any significant dental procedure.

Comment

Working...
                              X