Padre Island National sea shore how far car you drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Padre Island National sea shore how far car you drive

So we are planning on staying the weekend on North Padre and then driving down on the beach somewhere on Padre Island National sea shore and finding a place to spend the day. Normally we drive to get away from people a little and set up our beach canopy and kayaks to fish and lay in the sun all day.

Do you have 4 wheel drive?

Comment

Don’t know how far but I wouldn’t go too far without four wheel drive

Comment

Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by ArcheryNerd View Post
          Subaru Outback
          Ill start by saying I haven't been there but on the other beaches like Matagorda your issue would be ground clearance. In the soft areas, there is usually a trail where all the trucks are driving. The ruts get deep but the bottom is hard. Everybody follows the same path and no problems. An outback is going to bottom out on those ruts. PINS may not be like that though.

Comment

yea we used to go to Galveston / Freeport / Surfside but now that we live in Austin so we are trying to explore more and I don't know about beaches farther south.

Comment

I have driven 20 miles with a 2 wheel drive a few times. My friends have driven all the way to the end many times using only 2 wheel drive but had 4wd available.
              Just depends on the tide....they tell me

Comment

You Should have no problem going far enough down to get away from the crowds. It usually starts thinning out after 5 miles or so. I have taken my 2wd 30-35 miles with no problems.

Comment

It goes all the way to the port Mansfield jetties, there's a couple of rock that you can kayak to just off the beach 1/2 way down that you can catch red snapper if you have a gps
                  Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-23-2018, 09:18 AM.

Comment

ive been 5-6 miles in my 2500 diesel 4x4, after nearly burying it in florida in the sugar sand i probably wont go much further than that in it. Been all the way down to the jetties in a buddies jeep before in 2wd, but they are lightweight.

Comment

When you say kayaks to fish are you talking about kayaking in the surf? The forecast is looking pretty rough for the surf this weekend.

Forecast
                      https://magicseaweed.com/Bob-Hall-Pier-Surf-Report/361/

http://www.tides4fishing.com/us/texa...-channel-tcoon

I've been going down pretty regular so I'll give you my thoughts.

Surf - The surf is 4-6ft on Saturday and 3-5ft on Sunday. Which will make for pretty rough conditions on the beach. The swell height will be about 7ft so perhaps bring a surf board.

Beach - PINS will require that you have 4WD past the 10 mile marker. You may be able to avoid the crowd past 5miles but with it being Spring Break for some that may be tough. Also, high tide is around 11am so if you do go past the 10 mile marker it will require you to go through the soft sand and ruts. A 2wd vehicle will simply not cut it. Bring a tow strap or shovel. I've helped several people either dig themselves out or tow them out.

Fishing - If you want to catch fish now, I would probably head to the Jetis and fish for some Sheepshead. They're getting ready for spawn and you can get a limit pretty easy IMO. They are tough to clean and not as much meat as some other fish but they taste really good I think. I would check out one of the latest videos on youtube from ThresherFishing. He's been catching a lot of them and shows you how to do it.

Always a good time to go down to the beach so hopefully you can enjoy it. If you have questions or anything just PM me.

Comment

Take a shovel and a bucket

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          always good advice

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                            What's the bucket for?

Comment

Ususally we just day camp on the beach and I use the kayaks to take out lines and drop bait's like, blue crab, croaker's, bonitia and of course mullet. We grew up in Colorado so we love catching reds and sharks. I've never caught a jack before so that would be awesome I love catching new species.. For a couple hours a day the boy and I take out the two man kayak out about 120 yards and fish off that to see what we can catch. Always with life Jackets...

I always appreciate advice I am still learning about fishing in the surf...

Comment

Working...
                              X