Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Land Ag Exemption (i.e. Ag appraisal)

All,

I'm in need of some "green screen" wisdom. If you have any experience obtaining Ag exemption or know anything about the topic please chime in. In the nutshell I am looking to establish 1-d-1 agricultural use history on my place (5 of the last 7 years) for Ag exemption purposes. I've looked into cows, bees, goats, etc. At first, beekeeping looked promising but there are a few facts that may not make it the best option (i.e. acreage limits, hive lease costs, etc). As for cattle, I have some barbed wire fence to repair but I'm wondering if my best alternative is to lease the place out for cattle grazing - I've had two neighbors ask if they can put their cows on my place. Other than the fence repair I assume I will also need a water source for the cows. That is probably my biggest hurdle since I don't have a well or tank on the place - just a seasonal creek (mostly has water from April - Oct). If you have any insights on this topic please chime in.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Mastro; 01-16-2018, 04:42 PM.

is it big enough for hay? county to county matters also

Comment

Lease it to your neighbor for cattle grazing.

Comment

If your neighbors put cows on it ,you can probably get by without a water source for now. Cows can go back to their pasture & drink. Of course, this is depending on size of place & if you leave gates open.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
          If your neighbors put cows on it ,you can probably get by without a water source for now. Cows can go back to their pasture & drink. Of course, this is depending on size of place & if you leave gates open.
          This.

Comment

We’re in the process of getting an ag exemption on our 13 acres for hay

Comment

This is what I can tell you about Kerr. This is the last letter I got regarding my expemption application. I have about 6 Blackbuck, some goats and have a full AG exemption, 1-d-1w. No structures on property.
              Kerr exemption by Tony Pic, on Flickr

Comment

This is your best bet, but every county is different. Consult your local appraisal district for minimum requirements. I have been dealing all day with lawyers and we will be losing ag exemption on 40 acres in Brazos county, so I do have a little experience with this.

Comment

Did they give you the exemption tho???

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                  This is what I can tell you about Kerr. This is the last letter I got regarding my expemption application. I have about 6 Blackbuck, some goats and have a full AG exemption, 1-d-1w. No structures on property.
                  on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                    I have been dealing all day with lawyers and we will be losing ag exemption on 40 acres in Brazos county, so I do have a little experience with this.
                    WTFolgers!
                    Details please.

Comment

If you do lease it, make darn sure you have the stocking rate recommendation in writing. I see way too many places that look like parking lots and feeding round bales instead of managing the cow herd. It’ll hurt your land and their pocketbooks if you don’t have a good plan.

Comment

if its enough to do hay its the best option don't have to worry about cows getting out or having water. Let someone rent it for the hay

Comment

It is not in a county's best interest to let you pay a few bucks per year in taxes instead of the thousands they can collect so they try everything to keep you to paying those high taxes.
                          Then they send you letters like this...

Comment

Thanks. Wish that would work but the neighbors place is about 1/4 mile up the road with two other neighbors between us....

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                              WTFolgers!
                              Details please.
                              Yep. Had it leased to the neighbor who has 140 acres. Neighbor got in $ trouble and sold all livestock. Appraisal district saw it wasn't being used for ag and make him re-apply for ag exemption. since he didn't qualify, now we don't either. lawyers and appraisal district have been talking, but it looks like a done deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X