Electricity for small cabin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electricity for small cabin

All, I could use a little green screen advice/guidance. I'm looking to get electricity into a small cabin that I'm building. It's about 40 feet away from an RV hookup box mounted on a power pole with its own breaker box. To get power to the building my thought is to use an RV power cord (one of those thick black three pronged cords that usually get stored in the side wall of most campers, travel trailers, fifth wheels etc.). The question I'm struggling with is how to get the cord connected to the buildings electrical wiring (interior wiring will include standard interior Romex to supply three wall outlets, a few ceiling lights, window A/C unit, and a small tankless water heater). At the moment, im thinking the best option is to install an exterior breaker box on the outside of the structure, connect the interior main line to said box, connect the RV cord to said box, and ground the box with a copper rod. I have never spliced one of those RV cords but I'm guessing when I cut it open I'll find a red, black, and ground just like any other power cord which I can tie into the breaker box. Thoughts? Any holes in my plan? Improvements? Thanks

Easy peezy. Mount a plug on both the cabin and the pole then make you a cord with 2 male ends. Just make sure you plug the cabin end in first

Comment

I wired my feed to an outlet on the outside; ran the wire to the inside plug, which tied into everything else inside. have a double male plug, one to my generator one the the cabin. works fine! I'm gonna re wire the lights to run off a battery powered by solar, and use the generator for heat/tv/ everything else.

Comment

I would go with your original plan. Yes, the double male cord will work but you end up with a safety issue.

Use an exterior breaker box with your cord powering the main lugs. You could also use an interior breaker box and mount a junction box on the outside wall that has a pigtail hanging out of it. That way your cord is completely detachable from the building.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Is it a 30 amp plug or 50 amp plug? 30 amp plug is only 30 amp at 120. A 50 amp plug is actually 100amp. 2 50 amp legs. might make a difference in load and what you plan to have in the shed plugged in

Comment

Originally posted by dhillis View Post
            Is it a 30 amp plug or 50 amp plug? 30 amp plug is only 30 amp at 120. A 50 amp plug is actually 100amp. 2 50 amp legs. might make a difference in load and what you plan to have in the shed plugged in
            I have two 30amp RV plugs at the pole.

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
              I would go with your original plan. Yes, the double male cord will work but you end up with a safety issue.

Use an exterior breaker box with your cord powering the main lugs. You could also use an interior breaker box and mount a junction box on the outside wall that has a pigtail hanging out of it. That way your cord is completely detachable from the building.

Thanks. As for the pigtail, do you mean i should have a male plug hanging from the breaker box. If yes, that would work well with an RV extension cord I have.

Comment

Yes sir. Just a short pigtail hanging out with a male end on it.

Comment

Also, you mentioned a window unit and a tank less water heater. Are these 120 volt, and have you verified the load requirements?

Comment

I rebuilt a trailer and wired it. I have pig tail that runs to an RV hookup. The same set up should work for you.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by WTucker View Post
                      Yes sir. Just a short pigtail hanging out with a male end on it.

This would work good for you

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                        I rebuilt a trailer and wired it. I have pig tail that runs to an RV hookup. The same set up should work for you.
                        Very nice. Did you buy that pigtail or make it?

Comment

It is worth the time and effort to do this somewhat safe. 2 male ends on the cord is not safe. Someone will screw that up eventually, it might not be you, but it will happen. It's hard to justify that setup once someone is hurt.

Comment

Comment

40', I'd run conduit and 8 ga wire from the pole to a small 240v breaker box on the cabin. It will make life much easier in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X