No announcement yet.

For older guys only!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growing up in Menard is still that way, not much has changed except the faces.
    Adios,
    Gary

Comment

50 years so far for me. Grew up in Waco 'til 12 years old then Hubbard, Texas. Memories. bikes without helmets, '63 Chevy and laying on the floor playing on the way to the store, biking through the big city of Hubbard to the tank to fish with a .22 and fishing pole in one hand and tackle box in the other, and Lake #5 and the best rope swing ever created. I don't know how we made it this far.

Comment

Same held true in small town Greenville OH. Doors unlocked at night, keys in the car, windows open-didn't have or need the luxury of cable tv as we were always outdoors finding something to get into. Drinking from the garden hose, working in the garden with the grandparents and skipping school to go crappie fishing with them.
        This thread brought back a lot of memories. Thank you for starting it.

Comment

Good thread. Got my mouth washed out with homemade lye soap more than once and I'm still alive. Today that would land you in jail and your kids in foster care.
          Funny thing is every time I say a string of cuss words I can still taste that soap.

Comment

The good ole days. Sure do miss those days!

Comment

Skinny - this is the lot your poking using that #STICK

Houston Texas - 1960s

Don't get us riled up........we may have a FLASHBACK - SON!

Comment

Old dudes rock! I wanna be one when I grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                  I'm 70 now so I grew up during a time when every boy had a pocket knife that he carried to school by the 4th grade. We played mumbly peg every day at recess and lunch. Sometimes we played stretch with those old knives. High school every kid that had a drivers license and a pickup truck also had a gun rack in the back window and either a shotgun or 22 rifle on it. Trucks were parked with the windows down(no A/C back then) and doors unlocked in the parking lot and no one ever got them stolen and no one ever got shot. If you got into a fight, coach would drag you to the AG building and put the gloves on you and let you sort it out. Girls all wore Oxford shoes and bobby socks and ponytail hairdos. Failing a test could even get you some licks from the teacher with a paddle made from an oak bed slat. Girl or boy didn't matter. It was done right up in front of the whole class.

Teachers today would be horrified if they had to go back in time. Most would simply have a heart attack and die.
                  Yep, be 70 this summer. Class of "66". 14 kids graduated.
                  Sterling City, Tx. Pop. 843.
                  My Son had 754 in his class, he was in the top 10%I told him that was Nothing, I was in the Top TEN..
                  Bicycled Everywhere with my 22 tied across the handlebars. So many memories...A cuss word got you a Lick for every letter from The Coach.
                  SOB was painful.
                  This is a Great thread for all us GOF's. Life was good, No money,
                  not too many problems.
                  Met up with a buddy I haven't seen since 1960 last night, had a few beers and got caught up. Lots of laughs...

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    You're gonna be a great old dude D!

Comment

Mark, you described my younger days to a T. Lots of good memories!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        Yep!!! We for sure all get older, but we can stay immature for the rest of our lives !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntinonly View Post
                          That's the way we grew up in the 50's and 60's in Decker Prairie Tx. We would sometimes go to local Lanes store and get two half gallons of Blue Bell and my brother and I would get the four cents change from the two dollars for some penny candy. Tomball seemed a long ways away back then and we only went once a week for grocery's at Klein's. There was plenty to do with chores and yes we had two to three milk cows to milk, chickens to feed and you had to keep corn shelled for this purpose. Hauled a many square bale of hay growing up and fed it all everyday in the winter to the cows. We had a big garden, grew corn and a lot of hay. Played a lot also, mostly in the woods or in or around the barn, corn cob fights, clay clod fights and any number of rough housing games. We played football, baseball and basketball as well. Did a lot of hunting and fishing also and I will admit I shot a lot of birds growing up. IT was some great times and would not change it for anything!
                          Sounds like Louisiana good times! 'Cepy for the milking, MawMaw done that.

Comment

Doc - check your pm's.

Comment

Working...
                            X