Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advise or suggestions on Wood looking Tile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advise or suggestions on Wood looking Tile?

The wife is looking on putting the wood looking porcelain tile in the new barndo. Anybody have any experience with this type of tile. Pros or cons. We also looked at the luxury Vinyl planks that look like wood but have found some not so good reviews on it. Any info is appreciated.

We put the wood tile in the dining room in our last house. It's very durable and looks great.

My dad has vinyl planks in his house. It scratches very easy and they're constantly touching it up with shoe polish.

We're building a barndo, as well, and we'll be putting wood tile in it.

Comment

We have two dogs so we are going with the wood tile be of scratching instead of real wood floors.

Comment

I had wood tile installed in my house about 2 years ago. I really like it. It's very durable and easy to clean. The only negative I can come up with is it's cold in the winter.

Comment

We have the porcelain wood look tile in our foryer and dining room. Personally, I like the look of real wood better, but this stuff is indestructible! For a high traffic area, or if you have dogs that could scratch the real wood or vinyl stuff, this would be a great choice. We like it. Would do the same thing again if need be.

Comment

any advise on brands. Will the home depot brand be ok. We found a color that was a marazzi brand that we liked. what is the going rate for installation. I have no desire or the time to install it myself

Comment

I have seen both, but used the vinyl planks on my barndo. I have a dog and no issues yet in the main areas, just around my desk is the only scratching. Had friend that used the barnwood tile in their barndo and it looks great also.

Comment

We used the vinyl planks in our current house. We have big dogs and 9 years later, there's definite wear in the traffic areas. The price was great and its easy to install. Now its discontinued so we can't get replacement pieces to replace the stuff that's showing wear.

We'll be going with the ceramic wood-look next time.

Comment

The wife put porcelain wood look tile in the master bath. Looks great, only cold to step on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Shooter View Post
                    any advise on brands. Will the home depot brand be ok. We found a color that was a marazzi brand that we liked. what is the going rate for installation. I have no desire or the time to install it myself
                    I know someone who installed it in a beach condo. The brand name was Shaw and it was purchased at a Carpet One franchised location. I think Carpet One is a nationwide franchise. Purchased in Tuscaloosa and they either sent an installation crew down or used one at the beach. Various looks to choose from and it is tough. One thing I liked was it was comfortable to walk on. Never felt cold to my feet. They also had about 2 ft long planks and 6-8 in boards.
                    Last edited by 18ncs; 02-13-2017, 11:48 AM.

Comment

It is porcelain so it has all of the characteristics of porcelain tile. The only negative is due to the length of the planks the base floor has to be really level so that can increase the installation costs if your floor is not level. Also since there is no or minimal grout joint it is a little harder to install.

Comment

I just got a quote for install at $3.50/sq. ft. Does this sound about right? I have no idea.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Shooter View Post
                          I just got a quote for install at $3.50/sq. ft. Does this sound about right? I have no idea.

thanks
                          We were at the Home/Garden show in Longview last weekend and looked at the ceramic wood grain tile/planks at a booth there. The guy said it ran $18/sq ft due to the extra prep, more cutting, etc.!!! I fell over! No way!

Comment

3.50 for basic floor install is right on for labor, but as said above floor has to be really level for a good install job so expect that price to go up if they have to do a lot of self leveling

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                              We were at the Home/Garden show in Longview last weekend and looked at the ceramic wood grain tile/planks at a booth there. The guy said it ran $18/sq ft due to the extra prep, more cutting, etc.!!! I fell over! No way!
                              OOPS! My wife (THE wife ) corrected me. The install price mentioned was $8/sq. ft. plus the cost od porcelain wood grain tile was $3.50, ~$11.50 total. I misunderstood! (Can't hear for crap! )

Comment

Working...
                              X