Ugh...SLAP tear, gonna need shoulder surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugh...SLAP tear, gonna need shoulder surgery

Just got my MRI results back from the doc. SLAP (labral) tear in my left (dominant) shoulder...surgery in early August so it looks like bow season is toast for me. Doc said 3 months is usual recovery time so I'm hopeful that I'll rehab in enough time to hunt general season. Anyone on the green screen have advice for a quick shoulder surgery recovery?

Man that stinks

Comment

Prayers up!

Comment

Only advice is to KILL it in rehab. Sorry to hear that. Good luck

Comment

I tore my labrums in both shoulders in high school(one in ‘02 and other in ‘03). Not sure how they do it now, but i have 4” scars on each shoulder. It was a very long recovery and PT wasn’t any fun either.
          Good luck during surgery and recovery!

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
            I tore my labrums in both shoulders in high school(one in ‘02 and other in ‘03). Not sure how they do it now, but i have 4” scars on each shoulder. It was a very long recovery and PT wasn’t any fun either.
            Good luck during surgery and recovery!
            Doc said it's done arthroscopically so the incisions (2 of them) are small but it still requires quite a bit of recovery & rehab.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
              Doc said it's done arthroscopically so the incisions (2 of them) are small but it still requires quite a bit of recovery & rehab.
              I heard they do it differently now, so that is definitely a good thing. I’ll never forget doing that darn hand bike at rehab....

Comment

Best advice I can give is to be diligent with your physical therapy. I had shoulder surgery (torn rotator cuff, torn labrum, and torn biceps tendon) this past December. Went to PT twice a week for 4 months and am glad I did. It was a rough start, but I saw improvement quickly which kept me motivated. I'm not fully recovered yet, but am at an acceptable 80-90% right at the moment, and still working on regaining full range of motion.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                  Just got my MRI results back from the doc. SLAP (labral) tear in my left (dominant) shoulder...surgery in early August so it looks like bow season is toast for me. Doc said 3 months is usual recovery time so I'm hopeful that I'll rehab in enough time to hunt general season. Anyone on the green screen have advice for a quick shoulder surgery recovery?
                  No such thing as quick recovery with a shoulder surgery. Sorry to be a downer, just being realistic. You don't want to rush that, because then you'll end up messing it up again. Follow the doctor's orders, and do your physical therapy (which will royally suck). I did a PT internship and they always said, "They doctor's fix you, but we make you better." Good luck and I hope your recovery goes well!

Comment

Ditto on don't rush it and do the recommended therapy as long as you can. I had my right one done in 07' and left in 12'. I had the option to do self therapy early on in recovery in both shoulders and took that option as I did not want to miss work. I never followed through on the therapy and both shoulders hurt, I was never 100% and had pain in both. My left one is back to hurting bad, did MRI last Friday and go to Dr on Thursday to see the results.

Comment

I had surgery April 18th and still have 6 weeks of therapy to go just to be able to fully move my arm up and back. Doctors said I am ahead of schedule. No way will I be able to pull a bow back this year. Make sure you go to therapy and do the exercises at home as well.

Comment

I had my right shoulder and biceps reattached a few years ago. I was very aggressive on rehab and was back at work full duty in 2 months 1 week. I was shooting a longbow but did drop down from a 59# to a 45#. I think you could shoot this hunting season if you are on top of things and have an aggressive rehab recovery. It is going to include a lot of elevated heart rate, exercise, and more elevated heart rate. I was elevating my heart rate for at least an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. Get as much blood and oxygen to that area as you can.

Comment

6 month rehab surprised you got a 3 month time frame....tore both mine in highschool but mine looked like spaghetti on the MRI

Comment

No such thing as quick recovery. Get ready for an insane amount of rehab. Not fun for the first couple months.

Comment

My MRI 5 years ago came up with the same results... slap tear in my right shoulder. Couldn't put a shirt on by myself for two weeks. The 6 month recovery wasn't what I wanted to hear so I postponed surgery. After about 3 months I started lifting weights and suddenly my pain started to go away. After about six months my shoulder felt close to new. I don't lift nearly as much as I used to but I do 50 to 60 push-ups every morning as soon as I get out of bed and the pain has never come back.
                              Last edited by BobbyJoe; 07-23-2018, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X