No announcement yet.

Penetration test on a 30 gallon plastic drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are no cracks in the broadhead holes. Only nice clean cuts.

What you may be seeing as cracks are scratches, that were in the barrel prior to the shots.

Rick

Comment

I agree, Stickbow, that the 3-blade also spun between entry and exit.

Rick: maybe it's my phone pic, but there seems to be a mark or distortion of the plastic immediately below the center of the broadheads on the entry views for both the Bishop and Grizzly heads -- shaped like a tornado vortex.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
        Rick: maybe it's my phone pic, but there seems to be a mark or distortion of the plastic immediately below the center of the broadheads on the entry views for both the Bishop and Grizzly heads -- shaped like a tornado vortex.

That is real thin plastic trailers, that folded out when I pulled the arrows.
        Probably caused by the plastic melting some from the friction of the penetrations.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
          That is real thin plastic trailers, that folded out when I pulled the arrows.
          Probably caused by the plastic melting some from the friction of the penetrations.

Rick
          Fair enough. So are you seeing more than spinning? Maybe that 3-blade hole size is a little bigger?

Comment

Fair enough. So are you seeing more than spinning? Maybe that 3-blade hole size is a little bigger?

All three of the broadheads had some decent rotation.
            Even the 3 blade, which surprised me.

What I was seeing, that really caught my eye was the size of the holes.

The Bishop head made the biggest hole, which also surprised me.

I thought the VPA 3 blade would make the biggest hole, but it was a distant second to the Bishop.

The Grizzly came in dead last for hole size, with a hole that almost closed completely up.

Rick

Comment

Here's the same 679-grain, 29% FOC arrow, shot from a 55# (call it 53# at my 27" drawlength) Ben Pearson recurve. In, but not out.

Comment

And here's the 679-grain arrow shot from a 50# (48#@my27"DL). Also in, but not out.

Comment

" only significant differance is the shape of the holes" and you forgot ,the amount you pay for them. The bishop had a bigger hole in the plastic, but I don't feel like that is of much benifit in hide, muscle, fat tissue, wich has elastic tendencies. Very surprised by the heavy arrow, I would have thought it would have done as well or slightly better then the others.

Comment

Might not be much of a benefit. Then again it might be.

The manufacturer claims as such, and they have lots of pictures & video to back up their claims. Me, I don't know. Haven't shot animal with one yet, but I sure hope to soon.

The point I was making is - the Bishop made the biggest hole, AND got the best penetration.

Not only was the hole at the center larger (sharp tanto point), but the slits of the blades were wider, and much more pronounced.

When I think about it, that kind of hole has to cause a great deal of leakage.

Oh and, I didn't forget what they cost.
                    They also have a lifetime warranty for structural failure of any kind.
                    I haven't lost but maybe two broadheads in all my years.
                    I've broken, bent, and otherwise destroyed a bunch of them.

By the way- Shoot The Barrel !!!!

Rick

EDIT:
                    Oh, and thanks for the additional tests Ellis.
                    Much appreciated Bro.

Comment

Tell you what, tough as that barrel is, I would think those 679-grain arrows would do fine on most game. No doubt they are slow from those bows from 20 yards, but they hit hard. I mean, they went well into that barrel. Plus, I would rather not shoot past 15 yards. That barrel plastic was so tough that it pulled the brass insert out of my arrow after I unscrewed the broadhead and was pulling the arrow back out from the 50# Pearson. For those arrows to penetrate over two feet through that plastic, to me, means they would have no problem on virtually any live game -- especially with a little bit of blood lubrication!

In case anybody wondered, Rick, this is the point of these tests, right? What will kill?

BTW, the 50# bow is a 60+ year old Ben Pearson Javelina my Dad bought in the early '60s. Shoots pretty well for bow that stood in the closet for about 40 years.
                      Last edited by tradtiger; 02-12-2018, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Tell you what, tough as that barrel is I would think those 679-grain arrows would do fine on most game. No doubt they are slow from those bows from 20 yards, but they hit hard. I mean, they went well into that barrel. Plus, I would rather not shoot past 15 yards. That barrel plastic was so tough that it pulled the brass insert out of my arrow after I unscrewed the broadhead and was pulling the arrow back out from the 50# Pearson. For those arrows to penetrate over two feet through that plastic, to me, means they would have no problem on virtually any live game -- especially with a little bit of blood lubrication!

In case anybody wondered, Rick, this is the point of these tests, right? What will kill?

I thought of it more of a way for folks to compare what they are using to what others are using. An educational thing (as it were).

Not trying to convince anyone to change, BUT they might see something they like, and move to it. Never know.

Rick

Comment

You're quick, Rick. Edited in a little info on the 50 #er.

Comment

What GPP do you consider to be the best?

At what point do you think arrow weight (in GPP) will start decreasing the amount of penetration, instead of increasing it?

Rick

Comment

This video is with the same bow at the same distance as the first, but with a 966gr / 14 gpp / 30% FOC arrow.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                              I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Resistance is resistance in whatever form it comes in, and it takes momentum to overcome it.

I believe I'll do my best to stick to "my" (And Old Fred's) 9.5 gpp rule, and if I want more horsepower I'll go up in both arrow weight & draw weight, while maintain that rule when doing it.

Rick

Comment

Oh, and yes, I spent a lot of time making sure this puppy flew good. Spent all day building, changing, and rebuilding until I got it to this weight & FOC, then spent about 1.5 hours shooting, tuning, and getting used to the drop, which was quite a bit less, than what I thought it would be.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X