Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 09-15-2018, 09:42 PM   #1
huntnfish
Eight Point

Default 260 Rem Reload Information

I am just curious if anyone else uses the below combination for their load. I am running a load that shoots excellent but I am not finding anyone else using this combination. Since I have not found anyone using this load I prefer not to list it. But I would like to know if you have this combination how much Varget you use. I have tried many powders, projectiles, and brass and this is my favorite combination, .251" groups at 200Y.

143 EDLx
BR2 Primer
Lapua Brass
2.81 OAL
Varget Powder
huntnfish is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2018, 10:12 PM   #2
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Just my opinion .... Doesn’t matter what others are using since ALL barrels are different. Some are slow , some are fast, some are hummers, some shoot poorly. Also powders can be sensitive and vary from lot to lot. If your load shoots lights out, then stick with it. Someone else’s accurate load data may shoot horribly in your rifle due to numerous variables.
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2018, 10:12 PM   #3
LWD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County and anywhere else I can

I would not use Varget. Hornady does not publish losd data for it with that bullet and cartridge and Varget is faster than any powder Hornady uses for that bullet and cartridge. Do you have load data from a reputable source?

LWD
LWD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2018, 10:23 PM   #4
huntnfish
Eight Point

That's the problem that I am having. It shoots great but there is no published data for it. I'm just concerned it may be to hot. A buddy of mine shoots competitions and suggested this load at .1 higher than what I am using. I'm over 37 grains.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:32 PM   #5
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Inspect your primers, inspect the primer pockets, and have someone run Quick Load using your data to see if it’s safe or above high pressure
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2018, 10:36 PM   #6
WhiplashTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard

A quick look at the data shows your on the max side of things. How do the primers look? How's extraction? Ejector marks on the cases? You have to remember that the published data is a guide. Some guns will go over max and some won't make it. I have a 6.5 Swede that is 3 grains over published max (6 if you count the old 45k limit) and no issues, it does have a ton of freebore though.
WhiplashTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2018, 10:40 PM   #7
LWD
Ten Point

37.1 grains is the max Varget load for the 129 grain bullets. It only generates 2700 fps. Other powders generate 2900 fps with the 129 grain bullets. The 143 grain bullets are obviously bigger. Youve got to be over pressure. But maybe not. Run this on quickload as Cajun suggests.

LWD
Old 09-15-2018, 10:45 PM   #8
LWD
Ten Point

I think the SAAMI spec max pressure is 60,000 for the .260. Theres no reason you cant go to 65,000 with a modern rifle and brass. You might be okay. But you might not.

LWD
Old 09-16-2018, 07:24 AM   #9
huntnfish
Eight Point

Does anyone have quickload?
Old 09-16-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
texag93
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panhandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWD View Post
I would not use Varget. Hornady does not publish losd data for it with that bullet and cartridge and Varget is faster than any powder Hornady uses for that bullet and cartridge. Do you have load data from a reputable source?

LWD
Varget works very well in several of my reloads for 223, 22-250, 243, 6.5, 7mm08 and 308. All loads were from published data.
texag93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #11
McClain
Eight Point

Lots of good advice above, and it sounds like what you are using works well - and it’s hard to argue with success. I personally have settled on H4831SC with my .260AI.
McClain is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2018, 08:00 PM   #12
stxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County

I've got QL. 37.2gr of Varget is pretty close to max (if not max depending on your powder lot) with a case fill of 93% producing a velocity of 2662 fps using a 24" barrel. There are a lot of variabilities that determine the outputs of QL. Do you by chance have any velocity data or H20 capacity of your brass?

I shoot a 260ai and have found that RL26 provides the highest velocities and H4831SC to produce the best groups.
stxhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2018, 09:09 PM   #13
LWD
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by texag93 View Post
Varget works very well in several of my reloads for 223, 22-250, 243, 6.5, 7mm08 and 308. All loads were from published data.
Right, but the OP asked about a specific bullet and cartridge. You have published load data for the combination in question? If so, from where? Hornady publishes no load data for that combination.

LWD
Old 09-17-2018, 10:50 AM   #14
coop2564
Ten Point

Hunt In: STX, E. Texas and Louisiana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnfish View Post
I am just curious if anyone else uses the below combination for their load. I am running a load that shoots excellent but I am not finding anyone else using this combination. Since I have not found anyone using this load I prefer not to list it. But I would like to know if you have this combination how much Varget you use. I have tried many powders, projectiles, and brass and this is my favorite combination, .251" groups at 200Y.

143 EDLx
BR2 Primer
Lapua Brass
2.81 OAL
Varget Powder
RL26 will get you about 150-200fps better velocity.
I get 2850 in my 6.5 CM. Factory stuff is around 2600-2700

Last edited by coop2564; 09-17-2018 at 10:55 AM.
coop2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #15
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop2564 View Post
I used RL26 in my 6.5CM and could not get the accuracy out of it like H4350. Like you said though it makes some horsepower for sure.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 09:00 PM   #16
LWD
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop2564 View Post
To the OP, I think that's the issue. If you find a Varget load that is within safe pressures, and it looks like you might be able to do 37 or so grains, you're giving up a lot of velocity.

LWD
Old 09-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #17
texag93
Pope & Young

This is 6.5CM data for the 143 ELDX

Sierra data for 142gr.

Working up from minimums you can find a safe load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2018, 09:16 PM   #18
LWD
Ten Point

Quote:
This is 6.5CM data for the 143 ELDX

Sierra data for 142gr.

Working up from minimums you can find a safe load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's Creedmoor data. The OP asked about the .260 Remington.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:36 PM   #19
texag93
Pope & Young

Quote:
I think the SAAMI spec max pressure is 60,000 for the .260. Theres no reason you cant go to 65,000 with a modern rifle and brass. You might be okay. But you might not.

LWD
Youíre suggesting he load 5000 over SAAMI spec and then criticizing me
posting ďreputable dataĒ for a case that is almost identical and a bullet weight within 1 grain of his bullet with his powder in his cartridge and suggesting he start at minimum load and work up....troll much???? Iíve loaded hundreds of thousands of pistol and rifle rounds in 35yrs and my advice is solid but thanks for giving me a good laugh.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:54 AM   #20
LWD
Ten Point

Quote:
Youíre suggesting he load 5000 over SAAMI spec and then criticizing me
posting ďreputable dataĒ for a case that is almost identical and a bullet weight within 1 grain of his bullet with his powder in his cartridge and suggesting he start at minimum load and work up....troll much???? Iíve loaded hundreds of thousands of pistol and rifle rounds in 35yrs and my advice is solid but thanks for giving me a good laugh.
Are you illiterateóreading really is fundamental!óor just a democrat?

I said "You might be okay. But you might not." Post #8

After you went all fanboy extolling the virtues of published Varget load data in half-a-dozen cartridges not being discussed, Post #10, I asked you if the data was "published load data for the combination in question." Post #13

You skipped over that (probably because it wasn't) but then offered 6.5 Creedmoor data suggesting he work up loads for the .260 Remington. Post #17

Varget's a great powder, and I'm sure you know more than Hornady, but the OP's trying to get a meaningful, relevant answer to his honestly asked question. Those of us with more experience ...... oh nevermind.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #21
texag93
Pope & Young

Quote:
Are you illiterateóreading really is fundamental!óor just a democrat?

I said "You might be okay. But you might not." Post #8

After you went all fanboy extolling the virtues of published Varget load data in half-a-dozen cartridges not being discussed, Post #10, I asked you if the data was "published load data for the combination in question." Post #13

You skipped over that (probably because it wasn't) but then offered 6.5 Creedmoor data suggesting he work up loads for the .260 Remington. Post #17

Varget's a great powder, and I'm sure you know more than Hornady, but the OP's trying to get a meaningful, relevant answer to his honestly asked question. Those of us with more experience ...... oh nevermind.

You told him donít use Varget. Itís a great powder in multiple cartridges. I stated that to disprove your statement. Itís not the best because of lower velocity but he didnít care about speeds. I posted data for the 6.5 because the case capacity for the 6.5 and 260 are so close that that data is relevant. I also posted data for a 142gr bullet with Varget in 260. From that data you can see he is under max load. Hornadyís published data is for a 140-143gr bullet. My data is very relevant. All you did was tell OP Varget sucks and donít use it.

Even if you had some odd ball 6.5 wildcat with similar case capacity to the 260, you would have a good starting point from data I posted.

To the OP, always start low and work up looking for pressure signs.